Player Adoption Season Ending Summary

Harry

2. Derek Akunne LB, 5-11, 225, 4.5, North Garland HS, TX - In his first season at UNT (2011), Akunne played in 10 games; had 20 tackles (10 solo/10 assisted) and 2.5 tackles for a loss. I thought Akunne had a good true freshman season and seemed to garner more and more playing time as the season progressed. He and Will Wright helped solidify the middle of the defense after Zach Orr was lost for the season which shows me he is willing and able to step up to the challenge. He and the rest of the defense struggled against a physical Western Kentucky team after Orr was out but rebounded in a big way against MUTS. My hope is that he and all of the young linebackers will get more support in the defensive line in the 2012 season which should allow them to make more plays. An offseason in Frank Wentrich's weight program will only add to his abilities. I think he's got a good future at North Texas and am glad to have him in the mix! GMG!

Jeremy Phillips' year was marred by injury--he only played in 6 games--but he still performed fairly well when able. He recorded 21 tackles, including 1/2 sack. Not bad, but quite a bit off last year, when he was 2nd on the team with 69 tackles, 6.5 TFL, and two picks. He also lost some PT due to the stellar play of Mike Stock. Here's hoping for a solid offseason and a great 2012!

SCCNFFMDHOCZWFF.20110912152239.jpg

I picked up Colton Clay after Frank Gaines left the team...the good-football-named walk-on appeared in all 12 games recording 10 tackles (8 solo) I believe exclusively on special teams, though I've yet to watch the MTSU game...not sure if he saw any time on defense.

Not bad for a freshman walk-on...hope he sticks around.

My Boy Zach Orr had a fantastic year and actually led the team in tackles (74 total) despite missing the final 3 1/2 games of the year with a broken leg! Ouch!

Zach was easily the linchpin of the Mean Green defense this season and I believe, had he been healthy, would have held Rainey to fewer yards and possibly a UNT win in the W.KY game.

The injury should not keep him off of one of the SBC all-conference teams. Probably not the first team, although he was certainly on his way to 1st team all-conference...

Very nice year for Orr. Bummer about the injury, but I do look forward to adopting him again and watching him punish opposition for the next 2 years!

Proud of you Zach! Get well soon. See you next year!

Edit: Looks like I need to get a pic of Zach up here:

MZIFUBMKOOGPQXA.20111024153447.jpg

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

I picked up Colton Clay after Frank Gaines left the team...the good-football-named walk-on appeared in all 12 games recording 10 tackles (8 solo) I believe exclusively on special teams, though I've yet to watch the MTSU game...not sure if he saw any time on defense.

Not bad for a freshman walk-on...hope he sticks around.

Hes not a freshman btw, he went to Henderson State, played for a year and then transferred to Unt in fall 2010, I believe

James "Hambone" Hamilton served up 406 net Rushing Yards with 4 TDs in combination with 5 receptions for 59 yards. He proved to be my personal favorite of the offensive players in that I thought he carried a particular leadership quality on the field and was a blast to watch. Good luck with graduation and your life aspirations James!

Total Career Summary:

716 Rushing Yards

111 Receiving Yards

10 Tackles

7 Touchdowns

42 Points Scored for the Mean Green

4ec889cb27715.image.jpg

Troy Kokjohn...Deep Snapper...another solid season from #78. Since most of you guys never noticed him, that means he was doing his job well. Unsung hero on the team in my opinion. I think in all the snaps for extra point, for field goal attempts and for punts he had perhaps two errant snaps this season and those were no where near disasters. A VERY solid performance by young Mister Kokjohn this year...add that to the fact he had two tackles on special teams...yes, he snapped the ball, made his block and still got down field to make the tackle, and you have one solid senior year. I think he should get some mention for special teams all-conference as a speciality player. That's how well I believe he performed.

And, what many of you might not know, Troy had an injury for a good part of the season that would have kept lesser players out for a few games. Not, Troy!

So, yep, "my guy" had a great senior season and did a great job for his team and UNT. Thanks, Troy....all the best going forward. Enjoy your "retirement".

If I have erred on any of the stats, please feel free to add corrections or PM me and I'll edit the post. Don't want to "short" Troy on any accomplishments.

• Upvote 1

Derek Thompson: a couple of injuries stole some playing time, but he improved throughout the year and is our QB of the future. DT played in 11 games and posted the follwoing stats:

157 completions on 272 attempts with 11 TD's and 6 Interceptions for 1,759 yards and an efficiency rating of 121.0

He also had 185 net rushing yards on 50 carries.

Sincere congratulations to my adopted player Tevinn Cantly on a good, workmanlike season. He showed confidence as the season progressed and became a solid performer. I enjoyed his passionate display after one of his two TFLs against the MUTS. Tevinn will be back for another year and I am looking forward to seeing him have a standout year in 2012 on the D-line, where we need three or four standout performances next year. Tevinn, have a good off-season and get ready for another strong year. You are appreciated. :goodjob:

• Upvote 1