WKU Official Attendance

UNTflyer

I would say its about right. There were a lot more people than the FAU game, but less than homecoming

I was hoping for better attendance by students, but not too bad considering our record. The students that were at the stadium were loud and into the game, which is great to see.

I was thinking the official attendance would be about 15k just from the eyeball test - but I'll take 17k <_<

Hmmm...sounds like we may have borrowed the Ponycounter while they were out of town for the weekend. Maybe it was just because the crowd was quieter than usual, but it sure didn't seem like 17K to me. We've got to do something about filling that conspicuous Wing, because if it's going to sit there empty every game, I would rather that it just fly away. Hope a LEGIT promotion for the finale gets announced on Monday.

• Upvote 3

Not bad ? Will the expecatations of our fanbase ever rise ? We still had a shot at a bowl game on the line, even if it was pretty remote. We had a shot To secure our 1st non losing season in almost a decade. Played a team most thought that we were going to beat. Didn't have to compete with any other local games. Weather was perfect & kids were still in town. I thought it was bad, but that's just me.

Not bad at all considering the circumstance!

What circumstance????

The circumstance that we're on a 3 game home winning streak and playing for a potential .500 bowl eligible season? With no Rangers, Cowboys, Stars, major college game conflicting? A perfect weather evening for late November?

This is an outrage. Any fan that's ok with 17k at our brand new stadium after 3 straight wins should be ashamed. We deserve better from our students and alumni.

Speaking of the students, did you see them filtering starting early in the 3rd? Hell, some of the alumni too left soon after.

I definitely believe it. I brought 6 who hadn't been on campus since Simon, and although we lost they had a ball, and said they'd be back. One of them ran into a former classmate, and even checked out a little taitgating. I even heard one of them talking to their wife about planning on grilling brats next time.

Not bad ? Will the expecatations of our fanbase ever rise ? We still had a shot at a bowl game on the line, even if it was pretty remote. We had a shot To secure our 1st non losing season in almost a decade. Played a team most thought that we were going to beat. Didn't have to compete with any other local games. Weather was perfect & kids were still in town. I thought it was bad, but that's just me.

The die hard and super good fans know this information. To most people this is irrelevant. It will take a complete turnaround and BIG TIME winning for people to notice. We have two schools in our own backyard that has done a complete 180...look at TCU and Houston and heck even put in SMU to a degree. If we do what they can do then regardless of what conference we are in people will show up. Also look at schools like Boise, ECU, UCF....it took time but it took some good winning and some ranked teams for them to be be relevant to their alumni and fanbase. At the end of the day we have to realize that we were a whopping 4-6 and now 4-7. It will be hard to sell for any team.

• Upvote 1

And when you come see UNT play you get to watch an irrelevant opponent who is from the other side of the nation. "Middle" Tennessee gets me giggles and a "LOL wut" from everyone. People assume we play FCS schools. Look, UTSA/UTEP may be inferior to a WKU but they'd bring fans, and they'd bring respect, which would consistently bring 25K+ no matter the record. UH's attendance was so good because UH brought fans and people wanted to see Houston play us, because they know UH. Such the case with Indiana. If we're 0-9 the stadium will still have 25K+ for SMU.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What circumstance????

The circumstance that we're on a 3 game home winning streak and playing for a potential .500 bowl eligible season? With no Rangers, Cowboys, Stars, major college game conflicting? A perfect weather evening for late November?

This is an outrage. Any fan that's ok with 17k at our brand new stadium after 3 straight wins should be ashamed. We deserve better from our students and alumni.

Speaking of the students, did you see them filtering starting early in the 3rd? Hell, some of the alumni too left soon after.

To label this an outrage shows that you have no historical perspective of this program and the attendance issues we have experienced especially in mid to late November. And no I'm not ashamed as a fan, disappointed at times but never ashamed of this program.

To label this an outrage shows that you have no historical perspective of this program and the attendance issues we have experienced especially in mid to late November. And no I'm not ashamed as a fan, disappointed at times but never ashamed of this program.

Why would there not be outrage? Attendance like this is not OK. Our apathetic students and alumni don't get the extra push to go to the game when they look at the ticket and see a Middle Tennessee State University game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I still get questioned and looked at cross wise when people find out that UNT and all the schools in our conference are in the same football "division" as UT, OU, LSU, Bama. Most just assumed that all the schools in our conference are D2.

Exactly my point. Thus the SBC is killing our program. A good % of people on here are really blinded by UNT's irrelevance.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why would there not be outrage? Attendance like this is not OK. Our apathetic students and alumni don't get the extra push to go to the game when they look at the ticket and see a Middle Tennessee State University game.

I don't have the record books in front of me, but ---17K for us in late November; in our 7th consecutive losing season; against a Sun Belt opponent that brought no more than 50 fans --- it doesn't bring to mind attendance "outrage" to me but hey you have the right to your opinion. Frankly I was relieved, because the tailgating on the Hill didn't seem to indicate that we would have as good a crowd and we have ALWAYS struggled in attendance for November and the later months. Since you seem to be backing off that now and moving to the "It's not OK" argument, I don't think anyone thinks it is "OK" and would like to see us fill up the stadium every game. Since we are in agreement that "It's not OK" here are a couple thoughts I have on that:

-- I think we still have an issue with people not being familiar with the stadium and athletic facilities being "Over There". I think the pedestrian bridge will help that, but high school games and student events will help too.

--- Name, regional opponents. Especially as we are rebuilding having teams that draw interest and bring fans are important.

--- Winning against recognizable opponents. I hate to remind people here but even in our Sun Belt heyday 2001-2005 we rarely won non conference games. As we improve our program we have to approach every non conference game as a chance to better the perception of our program. The Indiana game - as crappy as they are -- was one of the best feeling wins we have had in a Long Time! Those type of home wins against recognizable opponents fuel your fan base.

---- pounding the pavement...we have a wonderful stadium but that doesn't mean they will just show up. You have to promote and sell,sell sell! I would like to see us put more of our operational budget go towards actual sales. Tell the reps that you get paid based on every company you get to sponsor or attend a game. I would call on local companies and off them discounted opportunities to I think if you get them out there once most of them will come back...

--- Name, regional opponents. Especially as we are rebuilding having teams that draw interest and bring fans are important.

--- Winning against recognizable opponents. I hate to remind people here but even in our Sun Belt heyday 2001-2005 we rarely won non conference games. As we improve our program we have to approach every non conference game as a chance to better the perception of our program. The Indiana game - as crappy as they are -- was one of the best feeling wins we have had in a Long Time! Those type of home wins against recognizable opponents fuel your fan base.

This is what I've been saying in the other thread and getting blasted for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I guess those who think 17k is accurate are the ones who sat in one of the few crowded sections and never got up from their seats and walked around last night? No way in the world there was even remotely close to that.

This is late Novemebr, in a losing season. 11 years ago in November during another losing season, in a conference that included BOISE STATE, with us coming into a game against NMST at 2-8, we drew maybe 900. That's Nine Hundred! Those of you who were there will never forget it.

24 months later against the sameschoole, NMSU, around the same exact weekend in November, but with the conference championship on the line we drew 24k.

Since that time we have had a solid core of about 10k show up for our late season games, because again, we have a solid core fan base. Not a huge one, but a solid one. This was why I bitched about the time change for the FAU game. We have a solid core of people who are there, heat, cold, rain or shine regardless if there is a Ranger World Series game or if the team is 4-6.

In order to grow this we have to win. 4 Bowl games got us from a solid core of about 900 to roughly 10,000. Hopefully another run of wins in the future will see the same results.

Rick

• Upvote 2