No Respect from KXAS 5 sports

UNTDude

Just watched the 6:00 o'clock Channel 5 sports and virtually every regional game was mentioned except UNT! SMU, TCU, Texas, TT, Baylor and Penn State! ....they even reported FM Marcus and Denton Guyer high school playoff games. I just confirmed why I never watch NBC local news. :ass:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Great win! Just got in from DJ'ing an evening wedding & reception and had to turn the MGRN off when we captured a fumble at their 6(?) and went in for a touchdown for I believe was a 10 or 12 point lead at that point. I was surprised with how the final score was as close.

As far as coverage, our last 7 years prior to a 4 win season (thus far) has done that to us.

Best DFW coverage I ever saw North Texas get was the year we won games and had good attendance and that was the year we regained our NCAA D1-A status. I mean we were the talk of the Metroplex and most all 3 major DFW networks had their cameras in Denton that Fall for many games.

Keep in mind the economy has minimized the number of TV beat sports reporters they can send out to collegiate outposts as it has done the same to newspapers sports beat reporters. Look how thin the DMN and FWST are compared to how they used to be.

Wins + Good Attendance ="s Good DFW TV Coverage

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

But we have the DFW market :huh:

A school that has 100,000 alums (and growing ) and the same school that has the largest enrollment in DFW would tend to "have the DFW market" as much as anyone else around here IMHO.

I wish the NCAA would define what having a TV market really entails because I think they might say "the number of TV sets a schools' local constituency would have" is as close to the top of that criteria list as anything else.

It's not the local network DFW sports news people we have to impress to have said market, its the Nielsen Ratings folks that can determine what part of this market we really do have have compared to some of these little churchy schools who in past decades when they have been on a string of multi-season losing streaks have had some extremely dire attendance problems of their own. Just sayin'...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I see. So winning an important out of town game is not a reason to give us minimal coverage....such as the score? Or even acknowledge that we play football?

Sure, every game is important to us UNT fans. A crucial 4th win of the season is not going to lock up a Sun Belt Title, make us bowl eligible, or determine where we go in the post season.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

Meanwhile, the other 5,000 high schools in DFW are crying into their sushi that only FM Marcus and Denton Guyer are getting any coverage. I didn't realize until a week or two ago that Lewisville and Marcus play a big deal rivalry game within walking distance. I'd like to check that out some time except that I'm afraid of being a 40-year-old man walking alone to a high school function.

But I digress. What is this television news that you speak of?