1st Practice Video

NT Alum '04

Roger and Jordan are not guards. I guess you could throw them over there to get more guys on the floor.

They certainly would be a liability at that position.

You know these new guys as good as anyone Cooley so I take your word, but the official roster shows all 3 as guards, not forwards.

This brings up a good question I've been pondering, do we have enough at the guard position this year?

We are over loaded at the guard... the question is do we have enough post play...

we have alzee, jones, norris, franklin, patton, williams, t-mich when he joins... plus holmeon the french kid and robinson can all play from the outside... plus our new walk on and tyler hall who is just a pure athlete.

In the post we have hogans and edwards...

• Upvote 1

NT basically plays a 3 guard offense, however that is in reality a point and two wings. Norris and Jones will probably be exclusively points, and Hogans a front court player. Walton and A. Williams can also play the point as well as one of the wings. Franklin, Jordan Williams and Hall will probably be primarily wings. Robinson, the Frenchmen, Holmen, Edwards and Patterson can play both the front court and wing. Mitchell can play anywhere he wants.

Aside, from this mornings chat: Jones has the vertical best leap at 44" and Jordan 42", that is getting up there. This team is loaded, it not only has talent but a lot of versatility.

NT basically plays a 3 guard offense, however that is in reality a point and two wings. Norris and Jones will probably be exclusively points, and Hogans a front court player. Walton and A. Williams can also play the point as well as one of the wings. Franklin, Jordan Williams and Hall will probably be primarily wings. Robinson, the Frenchmen, Holmen, Edwards and Patterson can play both the front court and wing. Mitchell can play anywhere he wants.

Aside, from this mornings chat: Jones has the vertical best leap at 44" and Jordan 42", that is getting up there. This team is loaded, it not only has talent but a lot of versatility.

Great points and forgot about the chat which I just read. I wasn't as clear as I meant to be, I meant who will be knocking down outside shots for us this year consistently? Williams?

Great points and forgot about the chat which I just read. I wasn't as clear as I meant to be, I meant who will be knocking down outside shots for us this year consistently? Williams?

If you mean Jordan Williams then the answer is yes. Chris Jones and Walton also have a good touch. Although he may not get to play, Tyler Hall can also shoot threes.

I'm hoping Brandon Walton. Outsde shooting will be the weakness of this team. I'm not saying guys can't make outside shots. Don't think anyone over at Texas Hoops has seen Williams more than I have. I don't think Jordan shot 20% from outside. I don't know why as he had a nice looking stroke.

Don't remember Texas Hoops mentioning the many times coach Snoop took him out the game because his outside shooting was brutal! I think our tallest guys may end up as a best outside threats. (Forrest, Niko & Holeman)

Jordan's game is slashing to the basket.

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 1

Cooley. I wonder if JJ will be able to coach J. Williams into a better outside shooter, or if Williams doesn't have shot know then we should expect improvement. If anyone had the answer to this I felt like you might. My eyesight hasn't been the best from a young age, so as much as a tried I wasn't going to be a "good basketball" player.

Thanks,

Go Mean Green!!!

I'm hoping Brandon Walton. Outsde shooting will be the weakness of this team. I'm not saying guys can't make outside shots. Don't think anyone over at Texas Hoops has seen Williams more than I have. I don't think Jordan shot 20% from outside. I don't know why as he had a nice looking stroke.

Don't remember Texas Hoops mentioning the many times coach Snoop took him out the game because his outside shooting was brutal! I think our tallest guys may end up as a best outside threats. (Forrest, Niko & Holeman)

Jordan's game is slashing to the basket.

Thanks for the insight. That's why I was asking the question. I think outside shooting will be the weakness of this team as well. Guard play is so crucial in the NCAA. Maybe someone will surprise us.

A Williams was a scorer in high school, didn't shoot much from outside in his rookie year at NT. He did have a very good drive to the basket. J. Williams and Jones were both better at driving to basket then shooting outside in HS, however that doesn't mean they won't develop into good outside shooters. Norris is not bad from outside either or as noted Walton. I don't see Hall getting many chances but he maybe the best three shooter on the team.

With all the talent amassed on this team, I really don't see a big need to rely as much on the three as prior years. Williams, Jones, Franklin, Patton and Mitchell are all big threats to score inside as are Holmen if someone can get off the three line, Hogans and Edwards if he is indeed healthy for the first time since HS. I believe that overall the outside shoot will develop enough to keep opponents honest, but NT will be a much better team scoring around the basket. NT can always float Robinson or the Frenchman out and both should be very effective. Last year's team only had one player, Thompson, that was really successful driving to the basket. White tried but was often blocked, they won't be blocking many of Jones, either Williams, or Mitchell attempts.

Edited by GrandGreen

They call that dude O. He's at the rec constantly.

I wasn't aware that he walked on--good for him. He's at least a body to have on the floor in practice.

Thanks for the info Gibbz. He looks like a good athlete for a walk-on.

They call that dude O. He's at the rec constantly.

I wasn't aware that he walked on--good for him. He's at least a body to have on the floor in practice.

O will def be a great practice player! He has improved a lot since he's been at unt and its good to see him get this opportunity, he's a good dude and he plays hard!

• Upvote 2

Last year's team only had one player, Thompson, that was really successful driving to the basket. White tried but was often blocked, they won't be blocking many of Jones, either Williams, or Mitchell attempts.

I thought Shannon Shorter was pretty good driving with the ball. Not as explosive as Tristan, but more than solid.

JJ's offense has a lot to do with the inability of slashers to get to the rim. JJ runs a doublepost offense most of the time in half court sets, which clogs the lane. It will be interesting to see what adjustments are made for Mitchell, Jones, Williams and the rest this year.

JJ's offense has a lot to do with the inability of slashers to get to the rim. JJ runs a doublepost offense most of the time in half court sets, which clogs the lane. It will be interesting to see what adjustments are made for Mitchell, Jones, Williams and the rest this year.

I think you saw 2 low last year more because of personnel...years previous we've seen more of one post on the block, one at free throw line extended. In '09 we had Tramiel and Odufuwa...both could play back to the basket or face up (though George was considerably rawer at this time with his back to the basket) so we saw more high-low that resulted in either Tramiel establishing low or an open elbow jumper for George.

Last year, George was clearly the most polished on the block and Hogans didn't have 15' range so we saw more 2 low posts.

This year we've more perimeter-oriented post players...Robinson, Stojkovic, Holmen, Mitchell...throw Ked on the block, feed him just enough to keep his head in the game and then just let him play junkyard dog while the other post drifts and slashes or keeps the lane clear for the wings and guards.

I think you saw 2 low last year more because of personnel...years previous we've seen more of one post on the block, one at free throw line extended. In '09 we had Tramiel and Odufuwa...both could play back to the basket or face up (though George was considerably rawer at this time with his back to the basket) so we saw more high-low that resulted in either Tramiel establishing low or an open elbow jumper for George.

Last year, George was clearly the most polished on the block and Hogans didn't have 15' range so we saw more 2 low posts.

This year we've more perimeter-oriented post players...Robinson, Stojkovic, Holmen, Mitchell...throw Ked on the block, feed him just enough to keep his head in the game and then just let him play junkyard dog while the other post drifts and slashes or keeps the lane clear for the wings and guards.

Kedrick is going to be asked to log a ton of minutes this year being the lone C on our roster. Given his knee problems, how would you think we would line up if he were to aggravate one of his knees? You think Mitchell will have to take that spot?

This is probably my chief worry going into this year: Ked's health.

Kedrick is going to be asked to log a ton of minutes this year being the lone C on our roster. Given his knee problems, how would you think we would line up if he were to aggravate one of his knees? You think Mitchell will have to take that spot?

This is probably my chief worry going into this year: Ked's health.

I'd think Alonzo could log time at the 5 (not sure that alleviates your health concerns, of course). Mitchell played 4/5 for the U-19 squad, so I think he could as well in the Sun Belt. Robinson and Stojkovic will both probably drift a bit more than you'd want from your 5...but, in a pinch, I suppose.