Villarreal on potential scheduling conflict

Brett Vito

It was a great idea to try to change the time of our homecoming game. I am sure if the Braves were in the world series on UGA's homecoming day that they would have worked around it. Right? Same for Ga. Tech. Also Wisconson if the Brewers were in. You know damn well if the Yankees or Mets were in, Rutgers would just reschedule the game.

Get your arses to Apogee before it is renamed Apathy stadiun gosh dangit. See you there.

• Upvote 5

Rangers should play at 11am

+1, and more if I could. This makes me not feel bad about having quit following the rangers 30 or so years ago, after becoming convinced they would never win anything, and that they had no serious desire to do anything except be part of the things to do when you came to the area to visit Six Flags (something about them trading Sammy Sosa for a bunch of guys noone has ever heard from since). I mean, what is it about baseball that makes them drag out their season to where they're nothing but a distraction to the national pastime of football? And scheduling playoff games during the day on weekdays and nights on weekends? Couldn't they just let the BOYS of October finish up their games in September, like back when it was a man's game, instead of the pampered, overpaid, media darlings of today?

Sorry for the rant; I am convinced the Rangers finally decided to care about winning. I'm also convinced that the Mean Green have decided to care about winning, to the point where we should care about attending...UNT football games.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

The Rangers in the World Series was epic last year, will be epic this year, and will be epic next year.

Show the World Series on the auxiliary board throughout the game and turn up the sound during timeouts, between quarters, and at half time. Who needs a halftime show when that's on?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It was a great idea to try to change the time of our homecoming game. I am sure if the Braves were in the world series on UGA's homecoming day that they would have worked around it. Right? Same for Ga. Tech. Also Wisconson if the Brewers were in. You know damn well if the Yankees or Mets were in, Rutgers would just reschedule the game.

Get your arses to Apogee before it is renamed Apathy stadiun gosh dangit. See you there.

I'm with this guy.

I'm flying in for the game (first homecoming in a few years...and of course no Bonfire with the drought this summer :P ). But as a pretty big baseball fan, I can understand the conflict some folks will have. Hell, in playoff baseball games where I have no vested interest I often have them on mute in the background while I have the KNTU (or ESPN3 stream if I'm lucky) broadcast on. And if UNT isn't playing I'll nearly always pick October baseball over football.

Granted, I know most people are just fans of their team, and don't really follow the playoffs if their squad isn't in it (just look at the ratings if one of the big market teams isn't in). I suppose I am just a fan of the game, and follow the playoffs the way other people watch the NFL playoffs (which I don't really do until maybe the Superbowl).

• Upvote 3

What a pitiful situation that the athletic department should basically be asked to say that their product is secondary to another product and even broadcast that product. What have the Rangers ever done for you? Any Texans even on the Ranger team? Good God, stay home and watch the pros or come to the football game and support your team. Don't ask your team to bend over and take it from the Rangers.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I was a Rangers fan well before going to school at UNT and later becoming an alumni season ticket holder (now my 5th year). Assuming the Rangers win Saturday or Sunday and actually make it to the Series, I will absolutely not miss watching the Rangers play a World Series game to watch UNT play a game. For me personally, as much as I love going to the UNT games, it is not even a question. If UNT were 5-0, in the SEC, Ranked #2 in the country with a game against Alabama with SEC and National Championship implications on the line, I would still stay home and watch the Rangers. I go to school in the evenings, so the weekend games are all I get to see anyway. I figure making it to 5 UNT games this year and watching two World Series games is a good balance. But hey, maybe I am not the kind of fan that UNT football needs (i.e., one that has only missed 1 home game the last 4 1/2 seasons).

With all that said, all this talk has probably jinxed the whole darned thing anyway.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

What a pitiful situation that the athletic department should basically be asked to say that their product is secondary to another product and even broadcast that product. What have the Rangers ever done for you? Any Texans even on the Ranger team? Good God, stay home and watch the pros or come to the football game and support your team. Don't ask your team to bend over and take it from the Rangers.

As I have said previously, the AD moved times for basketball games on a few occasions the last couple of years to avoid interference with Dallas Cowboys playoff games and IIRC the BCS National Championship game. When this occurred, it was HIGHLY applauded.

This is just silly. It's the World Series...but more importantly there is a precedent set last week that tells you exactly where UNT is in the local pecking order to the average person. I think attendance will be fine considering it's Homecoming and I know many, like me, who can only make 1 game a year opted to go for Homecoming as opposed to the first game like I did...but to say that the AD is taking it from the Rangers if it were to bump up the UNT game is not balancing one's homerism out with enough reality.

• Upvote 1

No question ill be watching the Rangers as well if they are playing in the World Series. Just like I'd be watching the Boys in the super bowl or Mavs in the finals. It's not that the MG rank below those teams on my list, necessarily. It's the World Series though. That's the reality of it. If I was a Texas student I'd still be at home watching the Rangers this Saturday. Reschedules happen all the time in college football. Take ark/a&m. They both lost the week before so were rescheduled to play each other at 11am.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1