SMU TALK?

dodgefan

look fellas, I'm a huge UNT fan but while in the hell do we have to focus our time and energy on hating SMU?? Let's just give them credit for beating a mediocre TCU team this year. Let's worry about the Mean Green and do a little less of worrying about SMU's achievements. June Jones is a good coach and SMU is on the rise no question, but why should we let this piss us off?!?!?!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

look fellas, I'm a huge UNT fan but while in the hell do we have to focus our time and energy on hating SMU?? Let's just give them credit for beating a mediocre TCU team this year. Let's worry about the Mean Green and do a little less of worrying about SMU's achievements. June Jones is a good coach and SMU is on the rise no question, but why should we let this piss us off?!?!?!

I will hate SMU fans with every ounce of my being. They've done nothing but bad mouth UNT and their fans from 1998 when I was there to this day for nothing more than their belief that we are the only ones lower than they are. They have refused to play us a number of times, they bad mouth my beloved Denton, they wear sweaters tied around their necks and on principle alone should be booed and taunted by all until our throats are hoarse.

F' SMU. F them in the A. May they all lose their hedge funds and drive non-German automobiles.

• Upvote 3

Do we ned to list the reasons AGAIN?

It was going to be virtually impossible for TCU coaches to tell their team this Fall that they needed to out-do last year's performance because their last game was a Rose Bowl winning game for Frogdom so they first lose to Baylor in the season opening game.

If TCU's Coach Patterson & Co. could have convinced the 2011 Frogs that they could go beyond the Rose Bowl pinnacle after losing some key talent then some Super Big Time School was truly missing out on hiring this guy .

SMU should be commended for a nice win, but few over here will do that based on their very unusual attitude of condescension toward North Texas over the years but even they know it is now a new era (Apogee Stadium finally gave us that) for the school they tell us they so ignore but secretly know they cannot do so any longer.

The fact that they are so condescending toward the University of North Texas most traineed psychologists I think would say speaks volumes (and would suggests that they really are looking over their shoulders at what we have going on in Mean Green Country). Fact is, not all SMU alums are that way. and have complimented us on our new stadium. (Hellsbells, UH and Big 10 fans were walking around our 1,000 plus acre Mean Green Villlage tailgating & being impressed as hell at what they were seeing and many of you saw and heard that, too.

Granted, the TCU win was a big win for the 'Stangs, just like ours will be over them when they visit Apogee Stadium when Coach Mac has more weapons in his arsenal. SMU should stop all their groaning about not having UT, TAMU, TTech, etc, coming into Dallas every other year with their 10K to 15K extra fans for an SMU home game and just look around the neighborhood at what could be an even better rivalry with damn good attendance in the boxscores.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

But doesn't media markets, school size, Alumni concentration mean everything?

Remind me again, who did SMU beat this weekend?

Miami hasn't had a problem in picking their conferences they want to be in. You just have to win, win and win. That is the recipe. In the BE's case getting really big public schools would help...they are losing Pitt and Syracuse and getting two small schools with low attendance and UCF which is good. I think that is the charm of being a part of AQ conferences is going to big and packed houses in football...the Big East is losing that IMO. But nonetheless their choices for replacements are understandable and realistic.

Unfortunately, for a great Coach Jones and a big SMU victory....Dallas doesn't care. And, that is sad, but life.

Meanwhile, Denton is more concerned with becoming the official HQ to the Sooner fans during Texas-OU next weekend? Winning draws interest. Truth is, much of Denton is apathetic towards UNT athletics in general just like SMU and Dallas. As the wins come for SMU, the interest will rise. Same principle with UNT and Denton.

Meanwhile, Denton is more concerned with becoming the official HQ to the Sooner fans during Texas-OU next weekend? Winning draws interest. Truth is, much of Denton is apathetic towards UNT athletics in general just like SMU and Dallas. As the wins come for SMU, the interest will rise. Same principle with UNT and Denton.

Exactly. I think both fanbases should lay off the other and realize, "hey, our administrators are actually fueling our football programs!" That realization in itself should make all of us happy. I could easily jump into the stuff being thrown around in this thread, but really, what's the point? I wont egg UNT fans on about losing to Tulsa, since not to long ago we went 1-11 with a new coach. National (hell even local) recognition takes time because winning takes time. Arguing about alumni size, location of universities, endowments, football history, etc is useless. Win and you'll get the accolades. All that other garbage is fuel for bitter losers (that's a comment meant for all fanbases, not calling out UNT).

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Exactly. I think both fanbases should lay off the other and realize, "hey, our administrators are actually fueling our football programs!" That realization in itself should make all of us happy. I could easily jump into the stuff being thrown around in this thread, but really, what's the point? I wont egg UNT fans on about losing to Tulsa, since not to long ago we went 1-11 with a new coach. National (hell even local) recognition takes time because winning takes time. Arguing about alumni size, location of universities, endowments, football history, etc is useless. Win and you'll get the accolades. All that other garbage is fuel for bitter losers (that's a comment meant for all fanbases, not calling out UNT).

I stated in another post that not all SMU alums/fans were like a handful on their board who give North Texas smack. It's a 2 way street as many of us can plead guilty for doing the same--I speak for myself as well on that. We have all been guilty of egging much of it on but nothing that I see as over the top malicious.

Smack talk has even been known to sell tickets, but a good, quality football program does so much more in that department. I've heard SMU Coach June Jones on KLIF and he is a class act from the word go with his FCA association and helping focus on some disease I cannot recall which one but he is active in the Dallas community to help young kids, too. Both schools as public and private universities have different missions and seem to both do well in accomplishing those missions with their specific clientele and student bodies.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Wait, how did this work? I thought OU fans chose Denton, and we're just banking on it.

I didn't think this was Denton outbidding somebody for their services, like a city presents a bid for the Olympics.