Wild Card Crazyness

After watching our Rangers clinch home field advantage I decided to flip over to check out the AL and NL wild card races. Did anybody else see the drama that took place tonight?

Sorry, just noticed it was already mentioned on the Rangers thread but still. This ish was pretty crazy

Edited by UNTP1

It was indeed.

[baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. -----Giamatti

As a Sox fan from way back before it was "cool" and all the Pink hats started making everyone think that the fan base was mostly band wagoners --- this effing sucked more than any night since Game 7 in 2003. (The reason why I never followed for the Rangers? I can't really say. I know when I was a kid I often started following teams because I felt bad for them...and I remember the first World Series i watched was the infamous 1986 collapse, so knowing my childhood mind, I probably started following Boston because I felt bad that they had just blown the WS)

Just the way it all came down tonight....up 3-2 in the 9th while the Rays were down 0-7 in the 8th. It's really just surreal. What a difference an hour can make.

However, the better STORY won tonight. I realize most of the country has turned on the Sox nation since the 2007 World Series win (I didn't sense people resenting Sox Nation before that, though it may have occurred). And it's always great to see a small market team with a limited payroll, win over the big spenders like NY, Boston, LA, etc.. Hell, I probably would have rooted for the Rays to make the playoffs as well - if it hadn't been at our expense. I also feel bad for Atlanta, if only because I can relate.

That said, EFF the Rays. I hope the Rangers kick the ever living hell out of them.

Edited by CMJ

It was indeed.

As a Sox fan from way back before it was "cool" and all the Pink hats started making everyone think that the fan base was mostly band wagoners --- this effing sucked more than any night since Game 7 in 2003. (The reason why I never followed for the Rangers? I can't really say. I know when I was a kid I often started following teams because I felt bad for them...and I remember the first World Series i watched was the infamous 1986 collapse, so knowing my childhood mind, I probably started following Boston because I felt bad that they had just blown the WS)

Just the way it all came down tonight....up 3-2 in the 9th while the Rays were down 0-7 in the 8th. It's really just surreal. What a difference an hour can make.

However, the better STORY won tonight. I realize most of the country has turned on the Sox nation since the 2007 World Series win (I didn't sense people resenting Sox Nation before that, though it may have occurred). And it's always great to see a small market team with a limited payroll, win over the big spenders like NY, Boston, LA, etc.. Hell, I probably would have rooted for the Rays to make the playoffs as well - if it hadn't been at our expense. I also feel bad for Atlanta, if only because I can relate.

That said, EFF the Rays. I hope the Rangers kick the ever living hell out of them.

I too am a Sox fan...spent my summers on the South Shore as a kid and the first game I ever saw live was at Fenway. That said, if you win 7 games in September you have no earthly business in the playoffs.

Theo, go spend some money on some arms.

I too am a Sox fan...spent my summers on the South Shore as a kid and the first game I ever saw live was at Fenway. That said, if you win 7 games in September you have no earthly business in the playoffs.

Theo, go spend some money on some arms.

Sox should have enough once Tek, Wake, and JD come off the payroll due to retirement. Not to mention anyone else we don't re-sign.

Just as a big baseball fan, last night was amazing to watch. In my opinion, the greatest single night of baseball I've ever seen. Spectacular games, wild finishes, and all the drama was incredible. Anyone see the Rays player hit the game-tying home run, WHILE THERE WERE 2 OUTS AND 2 STRIKES IN THE NINTH INNING???? I mean the guy had like a .190 average on the year. When the hell else would that happen but on the final day of the season when it matters most. On another note, Go Rangers.

Sox should have enough once Tek, Wake, and JD come off the payroll due to retirement. Not to mention anyone else we don't re-sign.

Wake mad $2M and is on a year-to-year...he and the Sox sit down every year and figure out whether he wants to pitch/team wants him to pitch. I bet he hangs it up on his own terms this season, but I'm fine with him coming back...he's valuable as a spot starter/long inning guy.

JD lost his job to Reddick...and he's considered a lesser prospect to Kalish. JD is done.

Tek is finished, but that means Salty and Lavarnaway are your back-stops...fine, if...

the effing rotation isn't Lester, Beckett, Lackey, Bedard and Buch

Wake mad $2M and is on a year-to-year...he and the Sox sit down every year and figure out whether he wants to pitch/team wants him to pitch. I bet he hangs it up on his own terms this season, but I'm fine with him coming back...he's valuable as a spot starter/long inning guy.

JD lost his job to Reddick...and he's considered a lesser prospect to Kalish. JD is done.

Tek is finished, but that means Salty and Lavarnaway are your back-stops...fine, if...

the effing rotation isn't Lester, Beckett, Lackey, Bedard and Buch

I love Wake too, and I know we have him cheap (I thought it was 4M?) - but he has been slowly eroding for the last season and a half. It pains me to want to see him hang it up now, since he's so close to the the all time Red Sox wins mark (isn't it less than ten now?).

JD wants to retire from what I understand. He never lived up to some expectations, but I'll still miss the guy. Even if he is less emotional than a robot.

I have a lot of hope in Lavarnaway. I think Salt will only be the full time catcher for 2 years or so before Lavalegend takes over.

I still think Beckett and Lester are solid, despite September's meltdowns. The rest of the rotation is in shambles. I was even missing Dice-K by the end....and he hasn't been a consistent winner since 2008 or 2009.

I haven't been keeping up with the farm guys, but we have to be grooming someone down there. The last thing the Sox need is a free agent bust like Lackey. Grow from within for awhile Theo.

Edited by CMJ

Lester just had the worst season by a pitcher in Red Sox history didn't he? :P

I assume you meant Lackey? Lackey was at least near a 2:1 K:BB...Dice-K was just better than 1:1...I hope I never have to see him throw in a Sox uniform again.

I love Wake too, and I know we have him cheap (I thought it was 4M?) - but he has been slowly eroding for the last season and a half. It pains me to want to see him hang it up now, since he's so close to the the all time Red Sox wins mark (isn't it less than ten now?).

JD wants to retire from what I understand. He never lived up to some expectations, but I'll still miss the guy. Even if he is less emotional than a robot.

I have a lot of hope in Lavarnaway. I think Salt will only be the full time catcher for 2 years or so before Lavalegend takes over.

I still think Beckett and Lester are solid, despite September's meltdowns. The rest of the rotation is in shambles. I was even missing Dice-K by the end....and he hasn't been a consistent winner since 2008 or 2009.

I haven't been keeping up with the farm guys, but we have to be grooming someone down there. The last thing the Sox need is a free agent bust like Lackey. Grow from within for awhile Theo.

I wonder what the Sox would give for Murphy and Engel Beltre now.

God, I love JD.

• Downvote 1

Good god yes.

And it still kind of surprises me. It's not like the Sox started winning title after title. Maybe it's Boston sports in general, but not all Red Sox fans also pull for the Patriots, Celtics, or Bruins. More than the other teams (with maybe the exception of the Celtics who apparently have quite an overseas following) - the Red Sox Nation has many, many fans far outside of New England.

growing up a new england native (New Hampshire!!!) i was crushed last night...even though i told myself i didn't give two shits cause they sucked this month....they ended up sucking me in emotionally and then crushed me again....felt like pre 2004 all over again...just stunning

i love Tito but Theo has been trying to get rid of him for a year and a half...and now he has his excuse...which sucks.

we need a new rotation...and rf

Can a Braves fan since the Dale Murphy days get a group hug with you BoSox fans?

Oh yes...I feel awful for you guys too. Especially since the last 2 decades yall have experienced a lot of close calls (usually in the NLDS or NLCS, but still). You guys have a young team though, so I think you should be okay next season. No reason to blow it up.

Edited by CMJ

I think the Red Sox are fine...no need to blow the thing up. They need to fix their bullpen up and add a quality starter. Offensively they're really good....I am not expecting Crawford to have a year like this. You can't have stars at every position. It's time they let go of Ortiz tho because the guy is completely useless unless he's a DH. They have a good scouting department and I think they should start keeping some of their young prospects because they're still an elite team that just had a few but really big holes.

Oh yes...I feel awful for you guys too. Especially since the last 2 decades yall have experienced a lot of close calls (usually in the NLDS or NLCS, but still). You guys have a young team though, so I think you should be okay next season. No reason to blow it up.

Being a Braves fan for 25 years, a Flyers fan for 23 and a NT fan for 8, you get used to getting kicked in the nuts. But that hurt last night.

I agree, they'll contend for years. If only they would stay healthy...

Ah, memories.

You'd appreciate the autographed Mark Lemke ballcap I scored at a garage sale 3 years ago for 50 cents.

Hell, I'd even appreciate that. He had a couple of amazing post seasons in the early 90's. Probably would've been the MVP in 1991 if the Braves had won the Series.