Playing McNulty Is Stupid!

UNTLifer

I don't like taking the 'burning his redshirt year' talk. Dude who cares....these players are recruited to play and you recruit ever year. If the guy can help which this team needs all the help it can get then there is nothing wrong with that. Plus it gives him experience for the next 3 years he has here. I say play anybody that can help now or that will play so it will help the next season.

• Upvote 5

McNulty isn't our QB for the future. He's a poor man version of Riley Dodge. I see nothing wrong with playing this year and getting into the game to give us an added dimension to our play calling. I do scratch my head at the fact we wait till the 4th quarter when he is ice cold to throw him out there

We were up 24-0 and all the guy behind me could do was complain about 1) offensive play calling in 2nd half and 2) DTs terrible decision on the pick six for IU's first score.

This was all prior to their furious comeback. They said nothing after we secured the win. He looked miserable!

Some people just don't want to celebrate anything and want to find crap to whine about.

Playing McNulty is a must considering Thompson's play, IMO. Let him get as much game experience as possible. I just wonder why Osborn never gets a chance?

The only problem I see with McNulty is the fact they always run the option. The D keys on him and they just T off. It worked a couple of times against UH and that was it.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

I just don't understand the situations they are putting him in, and his favorite receiver is the ground. If we want to run with him in the game then put Hamilton back there. He was a QB in high school. McNulty may show a lot in practice, but he hasn't shown much in the games. Let these kids develop and stop wasting a year of eligibility on 4 or 5 plays a game.

I just don't understand the situations they are putting him in, and his favorite receiver is the ground. If we want to run with him in the game then put Hamilton back there. He was a QB in high school. McNulty may show a lot in practice, but he hasn't shown much in the games. Let these kids develop and stop wasting a year of eligibility on 4 or 5 plays a game.

No offense to the kid, but if McNulty is our best QB options when this lost year of eligibility is a factor we're doing it wrong.

Maybe Coach Mac would like to recruit Iowa, and is playing McNulty so he can tell future recruits from Iowa they'll get their shot to play right away. I'm sure it's every kids dream from Iowa to play for Iowa or Iowa St., but I sure a good number ride the bench for several years. Maybe coach Mac. believes he can convince some Iowa HS coach's and their players to look UNT's way.

• Upvote 1

We're not in a position to letting these kids develop. We're in a try to win now mode. And as I said in a previous post that we recruit players every year. It doesn't matter how many years of eligibility they have. These kids are recruited to play football. They can either play or they can't play. Having an extra year won't make a difference at all.

Also right now its 4-5 plays a game but maybe as the season progresses he could have a bigger role or maybe those 4-5 plays a game will be solid plays that have a big impact.

Sorry, but if you don't think a year or two of maturity and growth, especially at the quarterback position, is not needed to transition from high school ball to D1 college ball, then you are sadly mistaken. McNulty is not our second best quarterback, and it would do him a world of good to redshirt, use the year to acclimate to the college game and to develop some more physically.

If it doesn't matter, then why was everyone up in arms when Dodge burned Thompson's redshirt at Arkansas State his freshman year?

Sorry, but if you don't think a year or two of maturity and growth, especially at the quarterback position, is not needed to transition from high school ball to D1 college ball, then you are sadly mistaken.

No one is disputing that.

McNulty is not our second best quarterback

Honest question: who is? Did Osborne play last night?

and it would do him a world of good to redshirt, use the year to acclimate to the college game and to develop some more physically.

Probably. Or maybe not.

If it doesn't matter, then why was everyone up in arms when Dodge burned Thompson's redshirt at Arkansas State his freshman year?

Thompson's redshirt was burned on the last series of a season. Andrew is getting snaps every game this season, either as an experiment that hasn't unfolded like we would hope, or as a backup role. It is frustrating to watch right now, but I'm going to chalk this up to the coaches. I'm on a message board, they're on the job.

• Upvote 1

I can't speak for everyone else, but the reason *I* was upset about it is that it happened when we were down by multiple scores with 2:48 to play at the end of the last game of the season when we were sitting a 2-9 and on our way to 2-10.

And the coach who made the decision had "Fired" written all over him at the time.

This McNulty thing strikes me more like Dodge playing Vizza as a true freshman before handing him the job, or starting Riley at receiver to get him on the field as a true freshman. Some people had a problem with both of those decisions, but they at least happened at a point in the season when they could make a difference for that year. The Riley move was surprising and I didn't love the idea... But it was at least something that made sense given the state of our receiving corps.

I generally don't like playing true freshmen as special teamers or minimal-use backups... But I'm willing to wait and see what happens with this situation before saying we've made a bad call.

And even if McNulty continues to struggle... It's one thing to burn a redshirt on someone who seems action in 11 games and gets to develop and compete against a variety of teams in a variety of situations... And quite another to sit a guy for more than 717 out of 720 minutes of his season then throw him out there so you can have a 3-5% chance at ending your godawful coaching career with a win that lets you avoid ANOTHER 10 loss season.

No one is disputing that.

Honest question: who is? Did Osborne play last night?

Probably. Or maybe not.

Thompson's redshirt was burned on the last series of a season. Andrew is getting snaps every game this season, either as an experiment that hasn't unfolded like we would hope, or as a backup role. It is frustrating to watch right now, but I'm going to chalk this up to the coaches. I'm on a message board, they're on the job.

Green Mean is disputing the advantages of a redshirt year in his post, so that is who I was replying to.

Yes, from watching the games this year, Osborn is our second best quarterback in the games. No, he didn't play last night, but from watching his play in previous games and McNulty's, I would say he is better suited to be our second string QB at this time.

There's always a chance people will never develop, but I would like to see McNulty given that opportunity instead of burning his redshirt to come in a obviously try to execute the zone read in critical situations when he is cold.

Again, I just think the way McNulty is being used is detrimental, not only to him, but to the other quarterbacks. For instance, Osborn drives us down the field against Alabama, in his home state, probably in front of many family and friends. He gets us to the goal line and is pulled for a true freshman that has proven to be one dimensional so far. One, that has to kill Osborn's confidence to be allowed to drive the team down the field only to be yanked at the goal line. And two, is it really fair to McNulty to throw him in at the goal line in Bryant Denney, against quite possibly the future national champion and their 100,000+ fans? In my humble opinion, I think that is poor player management.

Again, this is all my opinion and you all are certainly entitled to your's, but I would rather see McNulty be given a year to grow and learn the system, and to build some depth for the future. Then again, maybe Cooper Jones is that depth. Either way, I still don't think McNulty should be playing in the situations he has been placed.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1