West Virginia receives "no thanks" from SEC, ACC

MeanGreen61

This could b good news. Keep the Big East attractive for TCU then add have nots of the Big 12-2 along with SMU and Houston . This would open the door for UNT with other conferences. The key is getting SMU to move out of the Conf USA . That will create opportunities for us.

why the f*** would the Big 12 want SMU...only in SMU's mind.

• Upvote 4

This could b good news. Keep the Big East attractive for TCU then add have nots of the Big 12-2 along with SMU and Houston . This would open the door for UNT with other conferences. The key is getting SMU to move out of the Conf USA . That will create opportunities for us.

I cannot stand this type of comment! Why does SMU have to move up in order for us to join a more successful conference? We need to position ourselves to leap over them and join a better conference than CUSA.

Here's a thought. If for some reason the Big 12 does stay intact, maybe they look our direction in order to compete for the DFW market with TCU because I guarantee you they won't be able to compete by taking SMU. The truth is that the Big 12 is on life support and if they settle for SMU then they might as well wave the white flag and quit. They need to take a risk with a larger school that has potential to become the next TCU, Rutgers, etc.

• Upvote 1

That really surprises me. I figured they would be a good fit for the SEC, for sure. That's a school that will really get screwed if they get left out. What a joke--WVU isn't superconference worthy, but Washington State is...stupid, just stupid.

adding mizzo brings the st. louis market, adding w.v. brings, well, w.v.what makes this work for s.e.c. is that auburn is willing to move to eastern division, which they probably perceive as easier route to s.e.c. championship game. w.v. and rest of big east/ big 12 will still be able to put together an a.q. conference. looks like mt.west/cusa are discussing some type of football only merger, whose purpose is a seat at bcs table. looks like the belt and wac might work together when the smoke clears, but only the shadow knows.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I cannot stand this type of comment! Why does SMU have to move up in order for us to join a more successful conference? We need to position ourselves to leap over them and join a better conference than CUSA.

Here's a thought. If for some reason the Big 12 does stay intact, maybe they look our direction in order to compete for the DFW market with TCU because I guarantee you they won't be able to compete by taking SMU. The truth is that the Big 12 is on life support and if they settle for SMU then they might as well wave the white flag and quit. They need to take a risk with a larger school that has potential to become the next TCU, Rutgers, etc.

This made my day. Especially the part where you say they need to go with a big state school and then a cite small private school (the damn sister school of SMU for Christ's sake) as an example of success.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Because a $uper Conf is not knocking on our door !! i think we would all be happy with a MWC or a Conf USA type conference compared to the Sunbelt !

Because a $uper Conf is not knocking on our door !! i think we would all be happy with a MWC or a Conf USA type conference compared to the Sunbelt !

What makes you think that someone is knocking on SMU's door then? Since getting the DP and dumped from the SWC, what have they done?

• Upvote 3

This made my day. Especially the part where you say they need to go with a big state school and then a cite small private school (the damn sister school of SMU for Christ's sake) as an example of success.

I was using their recent success and tv market as an example, not their size. If you are trying to make a point for SMU than you're not doing a good job.

Maybe I should have used Boise State as the other example, but you probably wouldn't get it either way.

Edited by cdizzle86

:goodjob:

What makes you think that someone is knocking on SMU's door then? Since getting the DP and dumped from the SWC, what have they done?

Agree. We are both selling the same thing potential ! They are doing with the Mayor and local media behind them. Example would b the day after Mac was named head coach he was on page 3 of the DMN. The front page was a fluff article on SMU football. I cancelled my sub that day.

I believe we have the true upside potential! Potential means u haven't done sh.t up to this point.

GMG

Problem with SMU and also TCU is they do not represent a region, plus being small schools = the possible fanbase is very limited. On the other had, it is easy to see that if NT gets in a big conference, that by itself will have a dramatic transformative effect.

The problem is that the alums of the Big 12 schools already deliver the DFW market. Unfortunately, I don't see that as a bargaining chip.

The problem is that the alums of the Big 12 schools already deliver the DFW market. Unfortunately, I don't see that as a bargaining chip.

I agree with you to a certain extent. Although it may be tough, I think over time many DFW residents would receive a "big-time", public university very well. TCU and SMU are not good examples of capturing the DFW market.

Also, in my opinion the Big 12 needs to focus on making the TX/OK region stronger. That means creating more rivalries with either proven schools or high potential schools. Houston, North Texas, and UTEP would both be great additions and fit these requirements.

Texas, Texas Tech, OU, OSU, North Texas, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, UTEP. Throw in a few others and I think you have a strong conference that can continue to build the Big 12.

Edited by cdizzle86

I agree with you to a certain extent. Although it may be tough, I think over time many DFW residents would receive a "big-time", public university very well. TCU and SMU are not good examples of capturing the DFW market.

Also, in my opinion the Big 12 needs to focus on making the TX/OK region stronger. That means creating more rivalries with either proven schools or high potential schools. Houston, North Texas, and UTEP would both be great additions and fit these requirements.

Proven schools? You mean like the 2011 Rose Bowl champions?

Texas, Texas Tech, OU, OSU, North Texas, Houston, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, UTEP. Throw in a few others and I think you have a strong conference that can continue to build the Big 12.

Not sure what making the TX/OK region stronger does. In this day and age the coverage areas have to be big and nothing is appealing to a conference that is mostly TX/OK based outside those states. The SWC failed for a reason and so much had to do with the fact that all you had was Texas teams and Arkansas until they figured out the SEC was clearly a better option.

As for West Virginia I think they will find their way either way...It may not be the SEC or ACC but it's all lip service right now and who knows what is really going on.

Let's face it, SMU and TCU will probably never win the interest of most of the DFW area.

I've seen a heck of a lot more TCU gear the last few years than I've ever seen. Let's keep in mind that TCU is a small school but if they keep on being world beaters and start doing great things like they did last year and stuff then they could very well be in the conscious of the DFW area. Miami does just fine and has a huge foothold in the city and that regional and they're a small school as well.

Not sure what making the TX/OK region stronger does. In this day and age the coverage areas have to be big and nothing is appealing to a conference that is mostly TX/OK based outside those states. The SWC failed for a reason and so much had to do with the fact that all you had was Texas teams and Arkansas until they figured out the SEC was clearly a better option.

As for West Virginia I think they will find their way either way...It may not be the SEC or ACC but it's all lip service right now and who knows what is really going on.

I just don't see UT and OU going for the PAC 12 long term, which I think is why OU is trying to keep the BIG 12 together.. There is just too much talent in this region to not have a conference that strictly focuses on TX/OK area. Of course I'm not saying you cant have the Kansas teams or a couple of other that may fit as well.

Let's face it, SMU and TCU will probably never win the interest of most of the DFW area.

TCU stuff is all over Ft. Worth. That's what happens after a decade of consistent winning and BCS bowls. Winning the Rose Bowl was a big deal. I can go to a Walmart off of 75 and see TCU gear. That's what winning does. The social make-up of the university has less to do with the potential of fandom as the play on the field does. I will say, DFW will primarily be a Cowboys area first, but SMU, TCU, and UNT have been consistent losers for a long time. Things can change, and they have in Ft. Worth.

• Upvote 1

TCU stuff is all over Ft. Worth. That's what happens after a decade of consistent winning and BCS bowls. Winning the Rose Bowl was a big deal. I can go to a Walmart off of 75 and see TCU gear. That's what winning does. The social make-up of the university has less to do with the potential of fandom as the play on the field does. I will say, DFW will primarily be a Cowboys area first, but SMU, TCU, and UNT have been consistent losers for a long time. Things can change, and they have in Ft. Worth.

TCU is definitely more visible than it was 10 years ago, however I don't see people actually wearing TCU apparel that often in the North Dallas area. I actually don't even see it as often as people wearing UNT gear. Now maybe things are vastly different in Ft. Worth, but it just shows that the two private schools will never generate the level of interest that a large state school does in this area.

That said, I have no idea what UNT will do in the next 10 years. We could be sitting at the same spot we are today in 2021, but I don't think I have to say how much I hope that's not the case. If we can get to that level of success and win one of the BCS bowls, I think you'll be shocked with the number of fans in DFW. That would be the dream, anyway.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

TCU is definitely more visible than it was 10 years ago, however I don't see people actually wearing TCU apparel that often in the North Dallas area. I actually don't even see it as often as people wearing UNT gear. Now maybe things are vastly different in Ft. Worth, but it just shows that the two private schools will never generate the level of interest that a large state school does in this area.

That said, I have no idea what UNT will do in the next 10 years. We could be sitting at the same spot we are today in 2021, but I don't think I have to say how much I hope that's not the case. If we can get to that level of success and win one of the BCS bowls, I think you'll be shocked with the number of fans in DFW. That would be the dream, anyway.

SMU in CUSA= NO CHANCE for a UNT entry EVER :growl: