Big12 + Big East

mgfan

Reports are coming that the remaining Big 12 and Big East are looking to merge. The more and more I look at realignment the less and less I see UNT being in a better situation it is currently. The article goes on further to state the possibility of Cusa + MWC.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6993604/big-east-big-12-talking-possible-merger-report-says

Edited by mgfan

There are talks going on now about a possible MWC/C-USA merger. I think the best bet for you guys would be for such a merger to happen. Clearly not all the teams in these two conferences will make the cut (we might not even make it). If such a thing happens, UNT might be able to be promoted to the remnants of those two.

There are talks going on now about a possible MWC/C-USA merger. I think the best bet for you guys would be for such a merger to happen. Clearly not all the teams in these two conferences will make the cut (we might not even make it). If such a thing happens, UNT might be able to be promoted to the remnants of those two.

Yeah I already stated that above..... but I agree If we can get the best from the WAC and left overs from cusa and mwc we could have in state rivals and a better conference. I still doubt it will put us any closer to being an AQ school.I am interested to see what will happen with the NCAA and if these new super conferences will make a new league. (NFL semi-pro)

I don't know what the 'reports' say but it's way too early for that until we know how many Big East teams we're talking about.

Of the seven that will be left, West Virginia is almost certain to go to an established conference. Rutgers is another that will likely be a target for either the ACC or the Big Ten. Connecticut could partner with the Scarlet Knights if West Virginia goes to a different conference but would probably only be interested in the ACC. It's doubtful that South Florida would want to be that far from conference mates (but they're pretty far right now). That leaves TCU, Louisville and Cincinnati that would be easily available for the merger.

There would be five Big 12 teams left if Texas and Oklahoma leave. Missouri is possibility for either the SEC or the Big Ten (should they decide to expand). Iowa State is another possibility for exit if the Big Ten goes to 16. The two Kansas schools would stay if AQ status can be retained and the same could likely

be said for Baylor.

Regarding the CUSA/MWC merger, does that become a 22-team conference?

The results would be a conference of 5-12 teams outside the four 16 team superconferences. It would also be a geographic nightmare. Of course, if there's enough money involved, no one seems to care these days. Greed is one of the seven deadly sins and it's working overtime in the NCAA.

Regarding the CUSA/MWC merger...does that become a 22-member conference?

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

I don't know what the 'reports' say but it's way too early for that until we know how many Big East teams we're talking about.

Of the seven that will be left, West Virginia is almost certain to go to an established conference. Rutgers is another that will likely be a target for either the ACC or the Big Ten. Connecticut could partner with the Scarlet Knights if West Virginia goes to a different conference but would probably only be interested in the ACC. It's doubtful that South Florida would want to be that far from conference mates (but they're pretty far right now). That leaves TCU, Louisville and Cincinnati that would be easily available for the merger.

There would be five Big 12 teams left if Texas and Oklahoma leave. Missouri is possibility for either the SEC or the Big Ten (should they decide to expand). Iowa State is another possibility for exit if the Big Ten goes to 16. The two Kansas schools would stay if AQ status can be retained and the same could likely

be said for Baylor.

Regarding the CUSA/MWC merger, does that become a 22-team conference?

The results would be a conference of 5-12 teams outside the four 16 team superconferences. It would also be a geographic nightmare. Of course, if there's enough money involved, no one seems to care these days. Greed is one of the seven deadly sins and it's working overtime in the NCAA.

Regarding the CUSA/MWC merger...does that become a 22-member conference?

I imagine the cusa would take the best of mwc or vice versato become a 16 team conference. And like you said, no one cares about geography these days. And the Big East is going to have to reload with someone if the want to survive,so Baylor Kansas etc etc

Edited by mgfan

I imagine the cusa would take the best of mwc or vice versato become a 16 team conference. And like you said, no one cares about geography these days. And the Big East is going to have to reload with someone if the want to survive,so Baylor Kansas etc etc

It might me a merger or an actual partnership where the MWC goes to 12 teams (since C-USA is already at 12). The champion of each conference plays the other for a BCS bid. At this point, it's really hard to tell what the hell is going to happen.

It might me a merger or an actual partnership where the MWC goes to 12 teams (since C-USA is already at 12). The champion of each conference plays the other for a BCS bid. At this point, it's really hard to tell what the hell is going to happen.

Its a looooooonnggggg shot, but I like this idea if they need two more teams since the MWC is at ten, maybe they will add UNT

Here is an 11-team conference that would make sense. 10 conference games and no conference championship game because really that wouldn't add much:

North Texas

Houston

Memphis

Cincinnati

Louisville

Tulsa

Kansas State

Iowa State

Arkansas State

Southern Miss

Louisiana Tech

Kansas St., Iowa St., and Louisville are still rolling with laughter after reading this.

Here is an 11-team conference that would make sense. 10 conference games and no conference championship game because really that wouldn't add much:

North Texas

Houston

Memphis

Cincinnati

Louisville

Tulsa

Kansas State

Iowa State

Arkansas State

Southern Miss

Louisiana Tech

I don't think this makes nearly as much sense as you think it does.

• Upvote 2

Its a looooooonnggggg shot, but I like this idea if they need two more teams since the MWC is at ten, maybe they will add UNT

I wouldn't say that's a long shot at all, just questionable whether it's a better move in the long run than staying in the SBC. No question it's a better move in the short term.

• Upvote 2

Don't call it dead yet.

http://newsok.com/source-removal-of-big-12-commissioner-dan-beebe-among-ous-demands/article/3605958#ixzz1YWd9NOqM

The University of Oklahoma is considering remaining in the Big 12, but only in a “reformed” version of the conference that includes hard and fast rules for Texas' Longhorn Network and removal of Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, a high-ranking Big 12 source told The Oklahoman on Tuesday.

Read more: http://newsok.com/source-removal-of-big-12-commissioner-dan-beebe-among-ous-demands/article/3605958#ixzz1YWg6x8Y7

• Upvote 1

The remaining Big east and big 12 teams will join and Cusa will look like this ..... hopefully

East

UAB

UCF

FIU

ECU

Marshall

Memphis

West

UNT

RICE

UTEP

Tulane

Tulsa

LA.Tech

then cusa could combine with MWC and the winner from both leagues compete for a championship

Edited by mgfan

I don't know if I'm ready to buy in to the talk about a Big 12/ Big East merger. I think the remaining Big 12 schools could have enough intensive to hold the conference together, and rebuild. If Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, Texas Tech, Missouri, and Oklahoma State all leave, there should be a lot of exit fee money for the remaining Big 12 programs. Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State, could split the money and then expand back to 9. Probably not more, because there are not enough quality programs or markets. If they added the right combination, they may keep their AQ status. They may even pull a team or two from the Big East.

The question would be, which 5 teams would get the call?

Maybe, BYU, Houston, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, or maybe a Dallas based school.

I don't know if I'm ready to buy in to the talk about a Big 12/ Big East merger. I think the remaining Big 12 schools could have enough intensive to hold the conference together, and rebuild. If Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, Texas Tech, Missouri, and Oklahoma State all leave, there should be a lot of exit fee money for the remaining Big 12 programs. Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State, could split the money and then expand back to 9. Probably not more, because there are not enough quality programs or markets. If they added the right combination, they may keep their AQ status. They may even pull a team or two from the Big East.

The question would be, which 5 teams would get the call?

Maybe, BYU, Houston, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, or maybe a Dallas based school.

Why would they stop with only 9 members? how would that conference look in term of two divisions(North/ south or East/ West)? I don't think that idea is very viable without bringing in the more remnants of the big east or another conference.

Edited by mgfan

Hopefully the Big East brings on five more schools. You would think how close they came to no longer existing (at least as a football conference) would make them want to pad their numbers a bit. Who knows whether TCU would help UNT out in that regard, but at least it would shake up something and either allow a move to CUSA or the Sun Belt to go into expansion mode.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully the Big East brings on five more schools. You would think how close they came to no longer existing (at least as a football conference) would make them want to pad their numbers a bit. Who knows whether TCU would help UNT out in that regard, but at least it would shake up something and either allow a move to CUSA or the Sun Belt to go into expansion mode.

Someone needs to expand and kill the WAC.

• Upvote 1