Idea - Mean Green Beer Garden

ADLER

There were a few minor complaints at the first game regarding fans not caring for the no re-entry rule, and their inability to grab a beer during halftime.

I had pitched out the idea of having a huge Alumni Association Beer Garden by reconfiguring the fencing around the alumni pavilion from pre-game activities to halftime festivities.

Here's the idea, roughly based on what another college with the no reentry rule currently does.

The North Texas Alumni Association Pavilion would have a very large fenced area with lots of tables only open to the outside during pregame, and with access only to and from the stadium during halftime. During halftime Alumni Association members are admitted for free and receive one complimentary beer ticket, all others (21 and over) pay $5.00 for entry and receive one complimentary beer ticket. Additional beer tickets are sold at a very reasonable price to entice people to want to keep coming back and to hopefully join the alumni association.

We need to grow our alumni association for the university's efforts to attain Tier 1 status, and this is just one idea on how to attain that goal.

• Upvote 6

Do we really need to bribe people with beer to join the Alumni Association? I think instead we should spend the effort on selling them on why they should support their University.

What would be more successful, entice then into joining, or guilt them into joining?

Thank you for playing the Michael Spinks role in this discussion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One establishment here in Vegas proudly advertises $10 lap dances during NFL games. So if beer will grow the alumni association, I am just saying...

Great idea Adler. After the Labor Day run at White Rock they had a fenced area for beverages for 21 and up. It would absolutely draw some people to that area during the break. We have to make people want to be part of the Green by all means possible.

GMG

Let's make this happen. I'm only not in the alumni association since I'm a recent grad and shelled out for season tickets with discounted MGC already and have a wedding to save for. But I might find some room in the budget if I could enjoy a beer sometime during the game.

I am a little POed that I am in the Mean Green Club and yet I am excluded from buying beer becuase I did not purchase club seats.

That's the point. There a limited number of people that invest in the club level seating, and because of that substantial investment they do deserve to have exclusive benefits.

This Alumni Association Beer Garden proposal is to enhance the gameday experience for the multitudes of people sitting in the lower levels, entice them to stay at the games instead of bolting, and get them to support a philanthropy that benefits the university and it's athletic department.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's the point. There a limited number of people that invest in the club level seating, and because of that substantial investment they do deserve to have exclusive benefits.

This Alumni Association Beer Garden proposal is to enhance the gameday experience for the multitudes of people sitting in the lower levels, entice them to stay at the games instead of bolting, and get them to support a philanthropy that benefits the university and it's athletic department.

I am with you I would just like a beer before half sometimess is all.

No one will object to beer at half time unless its against some rules otherwise, I say let there be beer.

Why would there be any rule against it? I am not suggesting that it be sold at concessions as that is a whole different issue. I am proposing that there be a large area for a philanthropy, like The Deck was at Fouts, where patrons can either buy annual or single day membership which entitles them to purchase coupons that they can exchange for beverages.

Isnt half time just 20 minutes? How would you get that many people through the hellacious line, slam their beer, and force them back into the stadium in that amount of time. Maybe I'm overestimating what the turnout would be like, but it seems like it would be a chaotic mess with a lot of ticked off people at the back of the line. Plus I'll bet it would backfire some because folks would miss part of the 2nd quarter trying to get a spot in line early.

• Upvote 2

I really do not understand the big deal with selling beer in the stadium. Why are fooling ourselves into believing that college football is not big business - look at what is happening with our beloved college football.

Plus I have frequented Aloha Stadium and Sam Boyd and they both sell alcohol until the end of the 3rd quarter. They load up on security for guests that get out of hand and advertise numbers you can text for out of control guests on the jumbotron.

The only games they have a problems with are Hawaii and Nevada Reno. I really don't see a game on our schedule that would get out of control. Further guests would view this as a semi-pro experience which it is and we build the fanbase.

Time to realize what college football which we are a part of really is and more importantly where it is heading.

GMG

I am a little POed that I am in the Mean Green Club and yet I am excluded from buying beer becuase I did not purchase club seats.

Join the Alumni Association and head to the Pavilion for a beer pre-game. If you are a member already, come on down. I get it that you mean during the game, however.

Don't know about the Alumni beer garden idea, but one never knows.