UNT lands Argyle guard Clarke Overlander

Brett Vito

Great to have Overlander committed, I believe NT signing both Pye and him mean that the coaches see a more in these athletes than the ratings show.

As for as Mangrum, he played as hard as anyone and he would have meant a lot to NT if he had chosen to stay. I believe because of NT injury situation and going into the season two players short last year that Mangrum could have added a lot of victories to the Green. It is no surprise that he was not happy at NT as he left to become a walk on at an inferior program. I do think of what I saw that Mangrum got every chance at NT, injuries and competition limited his playing time .

LOL, this thread has turned into greatness. Mangrum is a great kid that gave his all to UNT and felt let down by the experience. It happens. You guys really need to quit the SMU love fest and worry about your '12 class. So far, you guys are the best offer of both your verbals, by far. Maybe you're just recruiting role players, not sure, but I'd be concerned.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

LOL, this thread has turned into greatness. Mangrum is a great kid that gave his all to UNT and felt let down by the experience. It happens. You guys really need to quit the SMU love fest and worry about your '12 class. So far, you guys are the best offer of both your verbals, by far. Maybe you're just recruiting role players, not sure, but I'd be concerned.

HoopManX...with all due respect, I know you're an SMU fan and that's fine. To say that the Mean Green Nation should be worried about our recruiting is laughable!!!! Our coach and staff have recruited at least three 3 star recruits, 1 5 star recruit in 2011, had another 3 or 4 star recruit in Franklin transfer to UNT. Then we get all conference 6'7" SWAC transfer, and recruited other 6'10" transfer from Lon Morris who's known for outside shot. Now we currently recruit 2012 kid's we've been looking at for several years in one case and you say be worried about JJ's judgement. In a pig's eye!!! When SMU puts 5 or 6 20 win season's together and goes to the NCAA's twice in 5 yrs., then come over here and I'll respect your "be concerned" comment. Until that happens tread lightly on the "be concerned" view of things.

If Collin Mangrum doesn't appreciate going to the NCAA's twice with UNT that's fine. Mr. Mangrum has that right. Mr. Mangum's comments seem out of place, but he worked his tail off for UNT while here and represented our university with honor and integrity. So, will I say anything past "his comments seem strange or out of place", NO!!! At least his character and integrity allowed him to get good enough grades at UNT to get into law school at SMU, so that's another reason to respect Mr. Mangrum.

Edited by UNTMike81

HoopManX - Confirming Stereotypes Since 2011.

HoopManX, Let me step out on a limb here. I my mind I'm not stepping out on a limb, but some of my brothers in the Mean Green Nation will think I'm at the end of the limb. While UNT is dancing this year, where will SMU be?, Dancing, NOT!!! I hope they have good season and don't have to buy into another post season Tournament!!! Maybe SMU's AD will call up RV and schedule a game in the near future and we can settle this UNT, SMU issue on the hardwood once and for all. Wonder if we set up a Red phone line like the US did with Russia back in the cold war if the phone would ever ring, NOT!!!

I understand where you're coming from as an outsider with this comment. The only thing I can say is that JJ and staff have pulled some diamonds from rough before... gotta believe they know what they're doing.

Rivals ratings and other college offers aside, have you seen Pye or Overlander play before? What are your thoughts?

HoopManX...with all due respect, I know you're an SMU fan and that's fine. To say that the Mean Green Nation should be worried about our recruiting is laughable!!!! Our coach and staff have recruited at least three 3 star recruits, 1 5 star recruit in 2011, had another 3 or 4 star recruit in Franklin transfer to UNT. Then we get all conference 6'7" SWAC transfer, and recruited other 6'10" transfer from Lon Morris who's known for outside shot. Now we currently recruit 2012 kid's we've been looking at for several years in one case and you say be worried about JJ's judgement. In a pig's eye!!! When SMU puts 5 or 6 20 win season's together and goes to the NCAA's twice in 5 yrs., then come over here and I'll respect your "be concerned" comment. Until that happens tread lightly on the "be concerned" view of things.

If Collin Mangrum doesn't appreciate going to the NCAA's twice with UNT that's fine. Mr. Mangrum has that right. Mr. Mangum's comments seem out of place, but he worked his tail off for UNT while here and represented our university with honor and integrity. So, will I say anything past "his comments seem strange or out of place", NO!!! At least his character and integrity allowed him to get good enough grades at UNT to get into law school at SMU, so that's another reason to respect Mr. Mangrum.

The first bolded bit is completely wrong. He does appreciate his time at UNT, even fighting through all of the injuries and surgeries he still loved being here. He is still in contact with most, if not all, of his teammates (note that they haven't had any issues with his FB posts) and all of the UNT coaches. He graduated (you know, what we expect our athletes to do) and chose to go to a grad program not offered by UNT. He also managed to continue his basketball career. I know people around here hate SMU, but had he gone to Rice for grad school would there be the same vitriol?

Second bolded point is right on. My post isn't a shot at you Mike, just using your comments to expound a bit.

I understand where you're coming from as an outsider with this comment. The only thing I can say is that JJ and staff have pulled some diamonds from rough before... gotta believe they know what they're doing.

Rivals ratings and other college offers aside, have you seen Pye or Overlander play before? What are your thoughts?

I think we are all getting used to JJ pulling in some top recruits. I can see where people (in green or not) might think we are not living up to last year's recruiting level. I will continue to trust in the Johns and I hope these guys are diamonds in the rough.

• Upvote 1

The first bolded bit is completely wrong. He does appreciate his time at UNT, even fighting through all of the injuries and surgeries he still loved being here. He is still in contact with most, if not all, of his teammates (note that they haven't had any issues with his FB posts) and all of the UNT coaches. He graduated (you know, what we expect our athletes to do) and chose to go to a grad program not offered by UNT. He also managed to continue his basketball career. I know people around here hate SMU, but had he gone to Rice for grad school would there be the same vitriol?

Second bolded point is right on. My post isn't a shot at you Mike, just using your comments to expound a bit.

No offense taken. I don't know Mr. Mangrum, grateful for his time at UNT...his comments seems odd, but that's why I don't FB, so I can't be taken out of context, or worse.