Somebody wake me up

Harry

Just a few years ago, we had a crappy football program and one of the worst stadiums in the nation. Every time we had a decent assistant coach they would get scooped up by another school. Bottomline, even though we tried to sugarcoat it -- there there was very little hope for the future. We look at the program today and we have a brand new stadium, a top-notch coaching staff and now we have landed a name sponsor for the stadium...I realize we have yet to produce on the field but I truly believe this time we will. Has a program ever seen such a remarkable a turnaround in such a short period of time? What a great time to jump on the Mean Green Spaceship heading for the stars! GMG!

It really is fantastic. Long time coming. Everyone ever connected with UNT should be puffing out his/her chest.

This--truly--is a historic time for this program, and I hope everyone soaks it in, because it will be looked back on as a watershed moment for this program and school.

• Upvote 2

It really is fantastic. Long time coming. Everyone ever connected with UNT should be puffing out his/her chest.

This--truly--is a historic time for this program, and I hope everyone soaks it in, because it will be looked back on as a watershed moment for this program and school.

I am very proud that we have finally decided to make a commitment to football by building a stadium that is beautiful and hiring an experienced staff to lead our program. It really is amazing to see the steps that the administration has made over the last few years. All that said, though, if we don't start winning, this stuff we are celebrating now will fade away quickly.

• Upvote 2

We can all be MG hipsters telling people we were Mean Green fans before it was mainstream. :thumbsu:

I kid, but wanted to say that it really is a special time to be a fan of the Mean Green. A lot of us have been fans for a long time (me only for 11 years, many of you much longer) and have believed in the future of this program. It's great to actually be around to see it unfold exactly like we hoped it would.

• Upvote 2

I believe it is very important for all college football programs, especially the big schools with winning programs and with 90k plus stadium capacities to remember that they were not born having the status and respect they possess. A winning and respected program has to start somewhere.

It is clear to me we now have the right people, resources and energy to build what we all have dreamed of. You are not born with greatness. You have to learn some, earn some and build some. And it's never easy. I have faith in saying the Mean Green Nation is far from entitled.

GO MEAN GREEN.

JRock

• Upvote 1

Harry, I think it is important to include all the academic advances of the last 10 years as well. You have to look at the emphasis on research and research funding, the new buildings (Business, Biology, Environmental Science, Chemistry), the addition of an engineering school and its associated campus. Take that into account along with the student service buildings and residence halls that have been added, UNT looks like the real deal (finally).

Well stated my friend. GMG!

Let's cash the Apogee check before they realize what they just paid for.

I'm still in shock that a football program that (lets be honest) has been so terrible and at the very bottom of our division has been able to make these moves before showing any signs of improvement. Got to give it to RV for selling to the University the importance of athletics.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm still in shock that a football program that (lets be honest) has been so terrible and at the very bottom of our division has been able to make these moves before showing any signs of improvement. Got to give it to RV for selling to the University the importance of athletics.

If you're thinking "location location location", then the new stadium is a home run regardless of the team's record.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

After sometimes feeling like the the guy running around chasing windmills by repeating the mantra "good things are happening at UNT" over and over and over, I cannot tell you hopw great it is to read this thread and see that folks are certainly realizing how many good things are indeed happening around UNT...not only in athletics but in academics. This is music to my ears, and signals the start of a new era at UNT where it will not just be the optimistic sorts or the "believers" that see what is going on that is so great at UNT. It will also start to help with Mean Green Club memberships, Alumni Association members, donations to academic areas, season ticket sales and on and on. In fact, it was just announced that Bill Lively (former head of Super Bowl host panel, CEO of the Dallas Symphony, etc.) has joined UNT as vice chancellor of strategic partnerships. Did I mention that Lively IS a UNT grad? This is a fund-raising position and Lively is a big time fund-raiser. Example of another good move by UNT. This hiring will definitely pay for itself many times over. The guy has a big time proven track record and knows everyone who is anyone in the area!

And, in about one hour, UNT will hold a press conference to officially announce the stadium naming rights deal and on Monday we will all hear of another significant donation to UNT.

A friend and member of the great Mean Green nation was in Denton yesterday from Tyler and after visiting the stadium again, mentioned to me that he saw folks in the ticket office buying season tickets. I am hearing that season ticket sales are already up over 70% from last year and climbing!

It is a wonderful time, indeed, to be a member of the great Mean Green Nation. I welcome all new members!

GO MEAN GREEN!

WHY THE HECK NOT NORTH TEXAS INDEED!

• Upvote 2

It all boils down to leadership. Between C. Dan Smith, Lane Rawlins, Rick Villareal, and Dan McCarney we are in good hands, and we have a bunch of guys who will roll their sleeves up and go to work; not just sit around and talk about an idea or theory like a group of politicians.

Hmmm... You didn't mention Lee Jackson. Oversight? I think not.

• Upvote 1

You should change your name to Hopeless4life.

• Upvote 1