Utah St to MWC

KoldBeer

Bobcat report is reporting that Utah St will join the MWC. Announcement in next 15 days. I haven't seen reported anywhere else yet.

Nobody else is reporting this and WAC is denying it. I'll believe it when I see it.

WACSports WAC

WAC Commissioner Karl Benson will address the false USU reports issue (if necessary) Thursday at the WAC Football Media Preview in Las Vegas

WACSports WAC

All reports regarding a Mountain West Conference invite to Utah State are without substance.

Edited by KoldBeer

Bobcatreport will literally say anything. If you make enough predictions some of them are bound to come true.

Edit: As a side note, nothing would make me happier than seeing the WAC fall.

Edited by MDH

http://twitter.com/#!/DesNewsKraig/status/96062356970405889

Not sure which way to pull on this--the explosion of the WAC could be positive for us, but Utah State to the MWC would close a door for us.

Actually it would give MWC 11 members for football. My guess is that they would make a run for one more team to get conference title game. They would probably want a team from Texas (I've read Boise wants to be in West Division).

• Upvote 1

Actually it would give MWC 11 members for football. My guess is that they would make a run for one more team to get conference title game. They would probably want a team from Texas (I've read Boise wants to be in West Division).

The timing of conference re-alignment has yet to be North Texas' friend. We need more time in this new stadium to show that we would be a good fit in the MWC along with Johnny Jones Mean Green basketball program, too.

........................................................................................................................................................................

"You cannot help the poor by destroy ing the rich......You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong......You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift…… You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down......You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred......You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence......You cannot help men permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." Abraham Lincoln

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If true, what exactly does this do to La. Tech's sense of self worth?

La Tech will actually say that's a positive for them. Because now maybe the WAC can go after Sam Houston St or A&M Commerce. Plus, don't forget, the WAC did have 3 teams in the top 25 last year and Boise was really good before they left.....

• Upvote 3

If this is true, it really boggles my mind to see why they would take USU over a school from Texas like UNT or even UTEP.

I believe UTEP has said they like being in a conference with other Texas schools for their fanbase, which is probably the best for them since the other Texas schools actually like being associated with them. Of course, it helps that El Paso has no other school or pro team to take away from its support.

Utah State is a must for the MWC because they need to keep a foothold for their network in Utah. I still believe that the next spot will go to one of the following: San Jose State, North Texas, or New Mexico State. Those three schools fit the footprint of the league and have some history to sell to the other schools. In all honesty, the winner of the MWC invite in this group probably insures its stay at the current FBS level, at least as FBS is comprised right now. To me, UNT just makes the most sense--from a market standpoint (only school in Texas gets your network lots of TVs available for some viewing), great facilities (finally), and a large enrollment. NMSU and SJSU have major funding issues, enrollment is smaller, and their market is either really small (NMSU) or not any better than UNT's (SJSU).

I have said it before and I will say it again. Its gonna take the leadership of another conference (MWC or CUSA) to see the potential here in Denton for us to make this move upward. Our recent FBS history is plain awful and our mens basketball program has gotten much better, but we still have work to do there, as well. But Craig Thompson could look at this all and say that UNT is perfectly situated to now succeed on the field/court and we could get back into Texas in a very favorable situation for the MWC. I still believe that if we got to recruit players to play against Boise State or Fresno State in our new stadium with Coach Mac, our program would soar. I believe the same thing with hoops, too. Getting to recruit players to play in a conference with SDSU, New Mexico, and UNLV would be awesome for Johnny Jones. We have two great coaches, we have two great facilities, and we have a huge enrollment with fairly solid funding. All we need is for someone to look at this and say that we need that school in our league. And because of our past ties to most of those schools, we could very well be the 12th MWC member very soon.

• Upvote 4

I believe UTEP has said they like being in a conference with other Texas schools for their fanbase, which is probably the best for them since the other Texas schools actually like being associated with them. Of course, it helps that El Paso has no other school or pro team to take away from its support.

Utah State is a must for the MWC because they need to keep a foothold for their network in Utah. I still believe that the next spot will go to one of the following: San Jose State, North Texas, or New Mexico State. Those three schools fit the footprint of the league and have some history to sell to the other schools. In all honesty, the winner of the MWC invite in this group probably insures its stay at the current FBS level, at least as FBS is comprised right now. To me, UNT just makes the most sense--from a market standpoint (only school in Texas gets your network lots of TVs available for some viewing), great facilities (finally), and a large enrollment. NMSU and SJSU have major funding issues, enrollment is smaller, and their market is either really small (NMSU) or not any better than UNT's (SJSU).

I have said it before and I will say it again. Its gonna take the leadership of another conference (MWC or CUSA) to see the potential here in Denton for us to make this move upward. Our recent FBS history is plain awful and our mens basketball program has gotten much better, but we still have work to do there, as well. But Craig Thompson could look at this all and say that UNT is perfectly situated to now succeed on the field/court and we could get back into Texas in a very favorable situation for the MWC. I still believe that if we got to recruit players to play against Boise State or Fresno State in our new stadium with Coach Mac, our program would soar. I believe the same thing with hoops, too. Getting to recruit players to play in a conference with SDSU, New Mexico, and UNLV would be awesome for Johnny Jones. We have two great coaches, we have two great facilities, and we have a huge enrollment with fairly solid funding. All we need is for someone to look at this and say that we need that school in our league. And because of our past ties to most of those schools, we could very well be the 12th MWC member very soon.

:thumbsu: There is nothing wrong with the Sun Belt, but most of our fans would not object to a better conference neighborhod if given that option. Any other SBC school would say the same thing if they had a choice. I mean if UT and TAMU can talk about a future without each other than you can dismiss any of this "stay loyal to the league you're in" talk.

Our past college football history & legacy in NCAA D1 exceeds any present SBC school so dramatically starting with the Abner Haynes/Sun Bowl era, the Mean Joe Greene Era with our 1968 team being of such quality as to have a win over the national champion contending Arkansas Razorbacks yanked away by an SWC ref in the closing minutes; a homer call that years later someHog players from that1968 team agreed with that home-cookin' assessment & even told our late, great Ron Shanklin so; and then the Hayden Fry Era of which most know what took place in only 6 years under the greatest combo of an AD/Head Coach in our history. (To beat a few high profile teams that basically got Fry a Big 10 job they had to be scheduled first which AD Fry did that part, too, with a few phone calls).

I know, just more message board chatter here until the next hot thread comes along, but The MWC would be such a sweet deal for North Texas and I think our upside is as good as it gets for those from that league who might be checking around for a future member. Wouldn't Johnny Jones 2011/2012 North Texas basketball team already compete as an MWC NCAA entry already?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

:thumbsu: There is nothing wrong with the Sun Belt, but most of our fans would not object to a better conference neighborhod if given that option. Any other SBC school would say the same thing if they had a choice. I mean if UT and TAMU can talk about a future without each other than you can dismiss any of this "stay loyal to the league you're in" talk.

Our past college football history & legacy in NCAA D1 exceeds any present SBC school so dramatically starting with the Abner Haynes/Sun Bowl era, the Mean Joe Greene Era with our 1968 team being of such quality as to have a win over the national champion contending Arkansas Razorbacks yanked away by an SWC ref in the closing minutes; a homer call that years later someHog players from that1968 team agreed with that home-cookin' assessment & even told our late, great Ron Shanklin so; and then the Hayden Fry Era of which most know what took place in only 6 years under the greatest combo of an AD/Head Coach in our history. (To beat a few high profile teams that basically got Fry a Big 10 job they had to be scheduled first which AD Fry did that part, too, with a few phone calls).

I know, just more message board chatter here until the next hot thread comes along, but The MWC would be such a sweet deal for North Texas and I think our upside is as good as it gets for those from that league who might be checking around for a future member. Wouldn't Johnny Jones 2011/2012 North Texas basketball team already compete as an MWC NCAA entry already?

brevity.jpg

• Upvote 3

• Upvote 2