UTA vs. North Texas Hoops now that things have changed for us

utamav91

With recruiting to a horrible facility and having to play in a lower-RPI conference for potential recruits...with UNT rebuilding the next year or two (excellent class of new players coming in) and we can talk about the WAC and our new hoops palace to players we probably wouldn't have shown us much interest before...does that mean we could have a slight advantage in the UTA-UNT series? Not talking trash, just exploring what other fans' perceptions of our new arena and conf. affiliation might mean for how soon the Mavs are a top 150 or top 100 RPI program potentially. Trust me, as a Mav fan, I'd love to have the record and great players UNT has had the last few years

Edited by utamav91
  • Upvote 1

It's going to take a lot more than a new arena to have a recruiting advantage over us. The new WAC is going to be a tough sell as being better than the Belt for basketball and not nearly enough to sway a recruit that the bigger stage and increased exposure (arguable not there) that they're playing with in the WAC beats the success UNT is currently having.

If we didn't have the success over the last few years nor an amazing recruiting class, then I'd put us on a much more even playing field.

What I'd like to see now is an annual Metroplex Classic during the Christmas season

WAC (UTA)

CUSA (SMU)

Sunbelt (UNT)

Big East (TCU)

These are all mid-major programs; as TCU will be in the basement for a number of years.

The tournament could be at the American Airline Center or rotate each year in Ft Worth, Arlington, Dallas or Denton (@ Bill Blakeley Court). Of course this would be a 2-day tournament (Friday night & Saturday evening)

You could include the women's teams or top HS teams in Tarrant, Denton, Collin & Denton counties. Bring in Midwestern State to play A&M Commerce. (not sure if they are in the same conference.

Anyway, what better way to showcase these Metroplex schools in front of the top area HS recruits. With SMU's haul, UNT's haul and better recruiting from UTA & TCU, there should not be any excuse for this not to happen!

Brett Vito can call the head coaches/ AD's to obtain commitments. All the local papers and media will be ready to call out SMU (to the entire metroplex) when they so NO!

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 3

The new arena will be a boost for recruiting for sure. If you haven't noticed, we're expecting a recruiting boost in football with our new facility as well.

I think UTA's new arena will have more of an impact than joining the WAC as far as recruiting goes.

As for an advantage over UNT, I don't see that happening simply because of the recent success NT has enjoyed. I like the recent rivalry with UTA and hope to continue playing them.

I think a lot will depend on how much UTA can take advantage of the new arena and the new conference. I don't think the changes at UTA will have too much impact on UNT. However, I expect that UTA to get better. Hopefully, UTA and UNT will keep playing because it should be a really fun series.

The new WAC and the Sun Belt should be pretty even conferences in basketball. Utah St. is better than anything the Sun Belt has had to offer the last couple of years but top 4 or 5 is better in the Sun Belt.

With recruiting to a horrible facility and having to play in a lower-RPI conference for potential recruits...with UNT rebuilding the next year or two (excellent class of new players coming in) and we can talk about the WAC and our new hoops palace to players we probably wouldn't have shown us much interest before...does that mean we could have a slight advantage in the UTA-UNT series? Not talking trash, just exploring what other fans' perceptions of our new arena and conf. affiliation might mean for how soon the Mavs are a top 150 or top 100 RPI program potentially. Trust me, as a Mav fan, I'd love to have the record and great players UNT has had the last few years

Rebuilding for UNT will hopefully mean reloading, and ideally, only last 1 year. With the crop of recruits we have coming in, that might very well be the case. I don't believe UTA would have any advantage in the near future on the recruiting or having a better RPI because of those 2 factors you mentioned. UNT has been Top 150 and top 100 RPI consistently over the last few years. UTA is really not that far off from being right there.

Now, as far as on the court performance against each other the last few years, there have been some very exciting and fun games to watch. The contests have proven that UTA can compete and beat UNT, but I think that the consistency that UTA lacks is what UNT has. I really don't see that changing anytime soon. Any advantage one team would have over the other would be equalized at tip-off when playing each other as both teams essentially are at home no matter where we play in DFW.

I really like the look and layout of the new arena you guys are building, and am really looking forward to watching some contests there. Living a couple miles away in Fort Worth, it's a really easy drive for an away game, so I hope this series can continue.

Does the new arena include auxiliary practice courts and basketball offices?

I think we need to play twice a year, once at your place and once at ours. I really like the series.

Not a hater here but the WAC and the new arena will only slightly improve recruiting for you if at all. You are going to have to solve the attendance puzzle one piece at a time to improve recruiting. Too bad the students and people of Arlington don't appreciate the quality of product on the floor.

uta will continue to draw only 500-800 per game like they always have. the wac is a shadow of it's former self, now worse than the big west ever was.

That's a hot sports opinion. Care to elaborate?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

UTA has always given NT great games. I do wonder if UTA doesn't lose a big advantage they enjoyed playing at the very unusual Stage. I guess UTA felt that moving away from the Southland would help them grow their athletic program. I wonder if the WAC with it increased expenses even with 3 close teams is going to be worth it for UTA. The WAC was a great move for TSSM and UTSA as a conference affiliation is the only way a school can move up to the FB Division. The benefits to UTA are a lot less apparent although NMSU and Utah State are very good basketball programs.

I have been to more games at the Stage then any other venue other than at NT, I will actually miss the place. UTA's attendance with the exception of the Gales vs Legrand series ages ago has always been pathetic. It will be interesting to see if the new arena will improve interest. As is the case of the new NT football stadium any attendance boost will be short lived if the programs don't improve.

• Upvote 1

Saw a digital billboard today, had the UTA and WAC logos and it said: "A Whole New Ballgame"

Sorry, but bragging about going to the WAC is equivalent to boasting about shagging Ann Margret. It may have been a big deal in the past, but nowadays.... not so much.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's going to take a lot more than a new arena to have a recruiting advantage over us. The new WAC is going to be a tough sell as being better than the Belt for basketball and not nearly enough to sway a recruit that the bigger stage and increased exposure (arguable not there) that they're playing with in the WAC beats the success UNT is currently having.

If we didn't have the success over the last few years nor an amazing recruiting class, then I'd put us on a much more even playing field.

I have really enjoyed the UTA basketball series and hope that their basketball program, like ours continues to improve. Scott Cross has done an amazing job over the last several seasons and I am sure that he will be able to recruit even better athletes with the new facility and new league.

This rivalry has been fun and it has the potential to get a lot better.

I only wish that the two schools would play each other home-and-home every season like UTEP and NMSU do. Why not? And while we're at it, why not schedule those games on Saturday nights, include the 'away' game ticket as part of season tickets, and allow students of both schools in free with student ID?

Those games would quickly evolve into anticipated events for both schools.

even a weakened WAC, at least for the next few years, will be more nationally recognized than the Southland. If they can get the Montana schools to join or some really top-flight FCS school to jump up (like Marshall was a few years ago), I thnk the WAC can be a good conference again. But if their football teams don't do much, they'll be just a mediocre-midmajor conference.

For UTA, it's a huge step forward for us anyway. I've wondered about losing the stage home-court advantage myself, and I'm a season ticket up there, prolly seen 60 games at Texas Hall over the years. 1000 fans in a 7000 seat hoops arena will seem kinda empty, but I'd like to think we could average 1500-2000 the first full season with the draw of the WAC and the new arena to get first-time fans in there.

I like the idea of a home-and-home in the same season...if the first game is intersting, that could lead to an emotional atmosphere for whoever hosts the second game. OUr first game in the new arena could be Feb. 1 against UT-San Antonio, according to something I saw on the internet the other day.

Looks like a couple of small guards left our team, and we were able to sign a couple of strong 6'5 and 6'7 junior-college power forwards. Hopefully this will help our rebounding woes...we were so small last year and got clobbered on the boards.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think we need to play twice a year, once at your place and once at ours. I really like the series.

Not a hater here but the WAC and the new arena will only slightly improve recruiting for you if at all. You are going to have to solve the attendance puzzle one piece at a time to improve recruiting. Too bad the students and people of Arlington don't appreciate the quality of product on the floor.

Where have I heard that before?

Oh yeah.

Too bad the students and people of Arlington Denton don't appreciate the quality of product on the floor.

Saw a digital billboard today, had the UTA and WAC logos and it said: "A Whole New Ballgame"

Sorry, but bragging about going to the WAC is equivalent to boasting about shagging Ann Margret. It may have been a big deal in the past, but nowadays.... not so much.

I don't know, I actually think it's kinda smart for them. People that follow college athletics closely know that the current WAC lineup is quite different than the previous iteration, but casually I'm not sure that the perception has changed dramatically since the new lineup hasn't played any games yet. WAC is certanily a step up for UTA in terms of perception. I think it's wise for the institution to capitalize on it while the name still resonates with some people.

On to their arena...I think the facility will help them improve attendance somewhat. I think it's short sighted to think that it wont help them be perceived as more "legit" by their students, alumni and fans when we are expecting the exact same thing to happen when we open our new football stadium this fall.

I'll continue to look foward to our bball series with UTA (and I second Cooley's motion for a Metroplex tournament). I'll miss seeing games on the stage though. One of the most bizarre sporting venues I've ever seen in person.