Supreme Court Refused To Halt Murderer's Execution

Sorry, I disagree. I think life in prison is a far worse punishment, and the possibility that we can execute an innocent person is reason enough to abolish the obsolete practice of executing criminals.

Convicted murderers who are sentenced to life without parole can be housed in a Supermax facility where they are locked down almost 24/7 and have no interactions with other inmates. Capital murderers would go away for the rest of their lives - no parole.

But it is just my opinion.

Reasonable people can disagree.

But one hell of a punishment.

On this we are in 100% agreement! I could care less if it deters crime. I am all for getting the scum who commit such capital crimes the justice they deserve. They have no place in society. Good riddance.

My only concern here is that we make 100% certain that the person doing the crime is the one convicted!

• Upvote 2

On this we are in 100% agreement! I could care less if it deters crime. I am all for getting the scum who commit such capital crimes the justice they deserve. They have no place in society. Good riddance.

My only concern here is that we make 100% certain that the person doing the crime is the one convicted!

I am with you here on the part about not caring if it deters crime. I can say with 100% accuracy that nobody that has been put to death has ever committed another crime. Works for me.

• Upvote 2

While I understand the opinion that life in prison can be just as brutal as the death penalty, some people are just so evil, a life sentence doesn't phase them. Some 19 year old S-bag was just found guilty of murdering a couple of women during robberies in Iowa, which doesn't have the death penalty. As the guilty verdict was read, he just smiled and said "I'm good." His mandatory sentence is life without parole. During the sentencing hearing, a daughter of one of the victims called him a "cold blooded murderer", at which point, the punk displayed a broad smile across his face.

Point is, prison, even life in prison doesn't phase some. The point of the death penalty isn't necessarily to scare them because they are going to die, but to exact a justice equal to the crimes they committed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

With the dozens of death row inmates that have been shown to be innocent in recent years, I shudder to think how many people have been put to death without getting proper DNA testing first.

So, anti death penalty here.

Understood, however DNA is not the great ultimate evidence that everyone thinks it is. There are other ways to prove guilt. All of the cases where people are now being found not guilty due to DNA evidence were not sentenced to death. There is a big reason why people sit on death row for 17 years. It's to ensure the proper person is on death row, and to exhaust ALL appeals.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

---As for the death penalty, I support it when it is certain that the person committed the crime, but not when there is any doubt they did it.

Standard is beyond a reasonable doubt.

Absent a confession, a good defense attorney will always put a sliver of doubt in a jury's mind.

Edited by UNT90

A story just broke out of Florida in which 17 year old beat his parents to death with a hammer, moved them to their master bedroom and hid them, then held a party downstairs with the parents locked upstairs.

Let me repeat that. Some little punk, killed his parents, hid them, then had a party downstairs. Would anyone object to his execution?

A story just broke out of Florida in which 17 year old beat his parents to death with a hammer, moved them to their master bedroom and hid them, then held a party downstairs with the parents locked upstairs.

Let me repeat that. Some little punk, killed his parents, hid them, then had a party downstairs. Would anyone object to his execution?

Absent a huge juvenile criminal history, not a death penalty case. Hopefully Florida has learned it's lesson and won't over-reach.

Exception acknowledged, and approved.

Burn in hell, xenophile.

Actually, I would say it's more of a burn in hell, redneck.

But then again, I'm kinda fond of the redneck. You know the good ole boy, hard working redneck type, not the shoot someone in a robbery disguised as a patriotic act redneck type.

BIH, Stroman.

Edited by UNT90