No Local Coverage!

meangreenbob

Only channel 11 showed highlights of our game last night.

Channels 5 and 8 showed highlights of smu and tcu. I don't even recall them saying a word about our game though one station did mentioned, while showing highlites of the smu game that Mangrum transferred from UNT.

4,856 in attendance and a 17 game home winning streak and not a word from the local TV stations.

This has got to stop!

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We need to send emails to those stations encouraging them to cover UNT basketball.

Note that channel 21 had TV coverage of the game last night...there was a small.............article in the Star Telegram. IMHO the television was awful last night...most of the time it didn't show what happened at the end of a play...cameras didn't cover some of the scoring or defense at the ends of the court.

KTXA (Channel 21) and KTVT (Channel 11) are both owned by CBS. I'm not sure how the "rights" to the highlights go, but when a game is locally televised, it may be the case that channel 11 was the only channel that could show highlights of the game.

It is still unacceptable that the other TV stations continue to give mediocre SMU and TCU teams all the media coverage, when the largest university within a 200 mile radius has the better basketball team.

I did not see the coverage on Mangrum, but I bet they made it sound like Mangrum "upgraded" to SMU instead of transferring because he graduated from UNT...

Dominique Johnson's 3 pointer at the end of the first half should have led the broadcast. I watched Channel 8 sports primarily because I thought it would be on there, and no mention of us at all.

His amazing shot was on Channel 11 along with about 30 seconds of highlight film. At the end the newscaster commented about how well North Texas was doing and the sportscaster (Bill Jones?) repeated about the 17 home game winning streak.

KTXA (Channel 21) and KTVT (Channel 11) are both owned by CBS. I'm not sure how the "rights" to the highlights go, but when a game is locally televised, it may be the case that channel 11 was the only channel that could show highlights of the game.

It is still unacceptable that the other TV stations continue to give mediocre SMU and TCU teams all the media coverage, when the largest university within a 200 mile radius has the better basketball team.

I did not see the coverage on Mangrum, but I bet they made it sound like Mangrum "upgraded" to SMU instead of transferring because he graduated from UNT...

As long as the game is not airing at the time of the local news sports broadcast highlights can be shown, so long as the stations credit the original broadcaster.

• Upvote 1

His amazing shot was on Channel 11 along with about 30 seconds of highlight film. At the end the newscaster commented about how well North Texas was doing and the sportscaster (Bill Jones?) repeated about the 17 home game winning streak.

Did anyone happen to record that Ch.11 sportscast or the game on Ch.21? I heard they showed a clip on both of UNT all-time leading scorer Kenneth Lyons in the stands there at the game. He sits on our row sometimes and I know he'd like to see it. Next to him last night was also NT all-time leading rebounder Ken Williams. Lots of former fire power on the bench behind the bench! :goodjob:

• Downvote 1

Did anyone happen to record that Ch.11 sportscast or the game on Ch.21? I heard they showed a clip on both of UNT all-time leading scorer Kenneth Lyons in the stands there at the game. He sits on our row sometimes and I know he'd like to see it. Next to him last night was also NT all-time leading rebounder Ken Williams. Lots of former fire power on the bench behind the bench! :goodjob:

I have the Ch.21 recording on my DVR. If someone can tell me about what time in the game they showed them I can take a video of it with my camera and e-mail it to you.

I have the Ch.21 recording on my DVR. If someone can tell me about what time in the game they showed them I can take a video of it with my camera and e-mail it to you.

Bill Jones had some nice things to say about Kenny when they showed his pic at the start of the highlights on Channel 11. He said something like, "And there's Kenneth Lyons, UNT's all-time leading scorer and a former first round draft choice of the Philadelphia 76ers."

I called Kenny last night to tell him about it....he didn't see. Would love to get that part of the Channel 11 sportscast for him.