Justin Frye Is New Ol Coach

gangrene

I didn't see this posted anywhere yet -

footballscoop.com

North Texas: As we reported a week ago, Florida offensive grad assistant Justin Frye accepted the offensive line job on Dan McCarney's staff.

Justin Frye bio

Just FYI, this was mentioned in a previous thread: http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57821&st=0

I'm surprised Coach Mac would hire a "grad assistant" for our D line. With all the concern he expressed for our defense, and with all the connections I've heard he has all over the US, I was hoping for an assistant at each position with more experience. I may be mistaken, but I think the coach that held this position was an immediate grad assistant.

And having said this, Coach Mac has forgotten more about the subject than I'll even know.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm surprised Coach Mac would hire a "grad assistant" for our D line. With all the concern he expressed for our defense, and with all the connections I've heard he has all over the US, I was hoping for an assistant at each position with more experience. I may be mistaken, but I think the coach that held this position was an immediate grad assistant.

And having said this, Coach Mac has forgotten more about the subject than I'll even know.

Frye is the O-Line Coach not D-Line

I think this hire has to do with the fact that we just don't have the budget to hire high-profile guys at every position. But, Mac worked with this guy at Florida, and he must have been very impressed to offer him a job.

• Upvote 2

I think this hire has to do with the fact that we just don't have the budget to hire high-profile guys at every position. But, Mac worked with this guy at Florida, and he must have been very impressed to offer him a job.

Sounds like he worked a couple years as grad asst at Indiana then last year at UF.

I believe our OLine coach had been a grad. assistant prior to coming to UNT and maybe 1yrs experience as OLine coach at JUCO prior to this season. Remember coach Leftwich (sp) UNT's line coach with real experience was hired by Tulsa, where he also coached in the past, 5 days before the season opener against Clemson.

Turns out Leftwich (sp) had been through the coaching marry go round before when he wasn't invited to become Louisville's OLine coach when then Tulsa HC was given job as Louisville's new HC. At that point I believe coach Leftwich (sp) came back to UNT or l yr later if memory serves.

Now Lefty looks like the smartest guy on the old staff (except Canales) by moving on to Tulsa. Maybe Lefty was the only one who had golden parachute, or maybe he started looking earlier than any of the other coaches.