Mccarney And Staff

thecoachingtree

It's nice that the players finally got a chance to play under a guy who had at least some concept of how to coach a college team. Even though they only knew him for less than a year, they got attached when someone motivated and inspired them.

If Canales could do it that fast, I think McCarney can win players over, too.

And anyone who suffered through the past few years that decides they want to pack it in and leave, even though we've finally got a real college head coach coming in here, and we're finally going to get to play in a palace of a stadium instead of the poopheap that was Fouts... Well, happy trails to them. And thanks for whatever they did to help generate the 8 wins we saw over the past 4 years.

I think that whatever Canales did to forge player relationships in 9 months on campus and 6 weeks as a head coach, McCarney can do, too. And if Dunbar or anyone else doesn't want to play for a head coach other than Canales... Then I don't think they'll be playing D-1 football next season. I'll miss anyone who wants to leave, and I hope they'll change their minds. But if they want to go, let them go.

Sticking with Dunbar, since he's obviously the star of the team coming back next year... If Dunbar doesn't want to play for McCarney, then James Hamilton or Brandin Byrd will. Galbreath led to Cobbs led to Jamario led to Cam Montgomery led to Dunbar, and Dunbar will lead to whoever the next guy is.

We'll be fine.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's nice that the players finally got a chance to play under a guy who had at least some concept of how to coach a college team. Even though they only knew him for less than a year, they got attached when someone motivated and inspired them.

If Canales could do it that fast, I think McCarney can win players over, too.

And anyone who suffered through the past few years that decides they want to pack it in and leave, even though we've finally got a real college head coach coming in here, and we're finally going to get to play in a palace of a stadium instead of the poopheap that was Fouts... Well, happy trails to them. And thanks for whatever they did to help generate the 8 wins we saw over the past 4 years.

I think that whatever Canales did to forge player relationships in 9 months on campus and 6 weeks as a head coach, McCarney can do, too. And if Dunbar or anyone else doesn't want to play for a head coach other than Canales... Then I don't think they'll be playing D-1 football next season. I'll miss anyone who wants to leave, and I hope they'll change their minds. But if they want to go, let them go.

Sticking with Dunbar, since he's obviously the star of the team coming back next year... If Dunbar doesn't want to play for McCarney, then James Hamilton or Brandin Byrd will. Galbreath led to Cobbs led to Jamario led to Cam Montgomery led to Dunbar, and Dunbar will lead to whoever the next guy is.

We'll be fine.

McCarney is a players coach. Your guys are going to like him and play hard. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

By the way, Dunbar would be flat out crazy to leave. Mac had Troy Davis his first two years and Davis ran for over 2,000 yards each season. Mac is NOT afraid to give a tailback the carries. Dunbar will have a freakin' field day.

Agree. Job #1 for McCarney should be to make sure Lance Dunbar is tearing up the field for the Mean Green next year.

Agreed... but let's be real. He isn't going anywhere. He won't switch teams senior year and get modest playing time at another school just out of spite. He is angry and still young. Remember the post I got quasi-flamed for noticing that his FB page had a profile pic of him flipping off the camera? These are things that young cats do and say...and when the dust settles he will realize that staying is in fact his best option. That posting another yr of over 1500 yds...and maybe next year getting 2k yds (hopefully his goal) will be the only way he succeeds and stands a chance of getting picked up by a Scout. I am sure that once he mets DMac and gets told that Ground and Pound is his preferred offensive scheme that he will enjoy his next year here. These players just had a reality check and can check off...The "Life Isn't Fair Lesson" from the bucket list.

Edited by All About UNT

First, JaQuay Wilburn led to Galbreath.

Second, I thought Cam was a great back, but he didn't have enough production to be in the same list as Wilburn/Cobbs/Jamario/Lance, those four are the only NT back to rush for 3,000+ yards. Galbreath didn't either, but his bowl game performances will be remembered. Sometimes thats all you need, who is going to forget Mike Hickmons monster performance against NMSU to clinch the bowl game in 2002?

Third, Lance maybe the best runner out of all of them, it's a little flippant to say if he leaves we will be fine. He only needs 941 yards to become our all time leading rusher. As long as he stays healthy, he will do that.

Agreed... but let's be real. He isn't going anywhere.

He doesn't have to lave, he can just be unmotivated and come in 15 pounds to0 heavy and we are still just as boned.

But I think you are right, I think in the end the players on the team will want to play for each other, and they will all sort themselves out.

However, McCarney needs to make sure that happens. We can't just run off backs with 3000+ yards...

First, JaQuay Wilburn led to Cobbs.

Second, I thought Cam was a great back, but he didn't have enough production to be in the same list as Wilburn/Cobbs/Jamario/Lance, those four are the only NT back to rush for 3,000+ yards. Ga;breath didn't either, but his bowl game performances will be remembered.

Third, Lance maybe the best runner out of all of them, it's a little flippant to say if he leaves we will be fine. He only needs 941 yards to become our all time leading rusher. As long as he stays healthy, he will do that.

Beat me to the punch on that one, although I'd cut out the words "a little."

First, JaQuay Wilburn led to Cobbs.

Second, I thought Cam was a great back, but he didn't have enough production to be in the same list as Wilburn/Cobbs/Jamario/Lance, those four are the only NT back to rush for 3,000+ yards. Galbreath didn't either, but his bowl game performances will be remembered. Sometimes thats all you need, who is going to forget Mike Hickmons monster performance against NMSU to clinch the bowl game in 2002?

Lance has agility Jamario didn't have or may have lost through injury.

Lance has breakaway speed Cobbs lacked.

I never saw Wilburn play in person.

Agree. Job #1 for McCarney should be to make sure Lance Dunbar is tearing up the field for the Mean Green next year.

If canales really loves UNT that much...HC job or not, he would talke with the team and Dunbar and encourage them not to make snap judgements....that things are bright for UNT and they should try out the new coach and new stadium....they may just Love this guy...coach Mac....and if the love UNT (and how couldn't you) they will not betray their fans and fellow students who admire and appreciate them so much....now Mike Canales...go be a man about it all...like you have been since you started here...we all admire you sooooo much.

Lance has agility Jamario didn't have or may have lost through injury.

Lance has breakaway speed Cobbs lacked.

I never saw Wilburn play in person.

JaMario was the best, THE BEST, runner we ever had, until he injured his hamstrings. He never recovered after that. If he had played every game his freshman year he could have run for 2200.

Cobbs could block, run routes, play special teams, hell probably tape ankles, that versatility probably makes him the best over all running back. And it's what got him into the league.

Jaquay wasn't the biggest, the strongest or the fastest. But he just got it done. Over and over and over again.

First, JaQuay Wilburn led to Galbreath.

I'm just pointing out that in the past 10 seasons, we've had 4 backs who were very, very good to super great. Wilburn was just outside that range, I thought (didn't he finish up in 2000?).

True that Cam didn't put up the stats, but part of the reason for that was because he got dinged up at the start of 2009 and gave way to Lance Dunbar. Take his last 12 games as the frontline starter and he had 1100 yards, most of those coming in the 2008 season when we spent most of our time playing from 3 or 4 scores down.

Anyway... If there's one thing we haven't had much trouble with lately, it's finding viable running backs. And earlier this year, people were asking why Hamilton wasn't getting more carries. If we lose Dunbar, it'll be disappointing, but we'll survive just fine. Hamilton or Byrd or someone else we bring in this year that beats them out for the job will step right in and produce.

I don't think Dunbar is leaving, though.

Anyway... If there's one thing we haven't had much trouble with lately, it's finding viable running backs. And earlier this year, people were asking why Hamilton wasn't getting more carries. If we lose Dunbar, it'll be disappointing, but we'll survive just fine. Hamilton or Byrd or someone else we bring in this year that beats them out for the job will step right in and produce.

Will Hamilton get a medical redshirt for this season?

the main reson i didn't want to stray away from canales is because of the changes that come with turnover at the coaching position. now, unless we retain canales to be the oc (which i doubt), we have to get our 3rd oc in the last 3 years and probably our 3rd dc in the last 4 years. this will at best leave us treading water our first year in the new stadium. i'm not saying that mac won't be a good coach, but he won't be the best decision for next year.

I have never met or talked with our "President", RV, our "headhunter) or the interium (sp?) coach.

I just want to go on record against hiring as NT's head coach if it is Mccreary. We are hiring a coach with a losing record, who has been a wife abuser. I think our interim coach has been shafted. IMHO he did an excellant job taking over for a "fired" head coach in mid season, took a team with 12 or more injured players and had a 2 win, 2 lost record. I have never seen a team score 35 or 37 points and lose a game...Our defense has done their best but cost us wins, not our offense.

I wound up paying $80 for two tickets (siting in section A next to end zone section) that at an earlier game cost $20 and had much better location. I spent about $100 for the night. Folks I am sorry, but this is my last game after 46 years of following NT FB when I could. To me, in my current age (74) and retired financial position it is just not worth $100 to see NT play.

I will continue to work on recruiting info and following NT FB on gmg.com.

I have never met or talked with our "President", RV, our "headhunter) or the interium (sp?) coach.

I just want to go on record against hiring as NT's head coach if it is Mccreary. We are hiring a coach with a losing record, who has been a wife abuser. I think our interim coach has been shafted. IMHO he did an excellant job taking over for a "fired" head coach in mid season, took a team with 12 or more injured players and had a 2 win, 2 lost record. I have never seen a team score 35 or 37 points and lose a game...Our defense has done their best but cost us wins, not our offense.

I wound up paying $80 for two tickets (siting in section A next to end zone section) that at an earlier game cost $20 and had much better location. I spent about $100 for the night. Folks I am sorry, but this is my last game after 46 years of following NT FB when I could. To me, in my current age (74) and retired financial position it is just not worth $100 to see NT play.

Anytime you want to come to a game in the new stadium , PM me and I'll buy your ticket , food whatever you want.

I don't really like the hire either , but it's done and I'm just gonna roll with it and hope for the best. I was all about hiring TD so maybe the fact I don't like this is a good thing. I would really hate for any fan to miss a game because of $ , so please if you or anyone else ever needs a ticket please feel free to PM me

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 4

Wow, had no idea that he recruited a quarter of your roster from Texas. This is good news. I'm hoping he continues to recruit Florida as well...I'm getting more and more excited.

Have not verified recently, but have heard that 30+% of the B12 rosters made up of Texas kids. Someone with lots of time on their hands please verify? When it comes to OU, historically close to 50+% of their starters are Texans and even higher in terms of All Americans. Okie State is closing in on same percentages. Texas HSs typically provide 330 to 370 D1scholarship FB players a year. If not for Texas FB talent, Oklahoma would have to focus on wrestling and other minor sports.

Have not verified recently, but have heard that 30+% of the B12 rosters made up of Texas kids. Someone with lots of time on their hands please verify? When it comes to OU, historically close to 50+% of their starters are Texans and even higher in terms of All Americans. Okie State is closing in on same percentages. Texas HSs typically provide 330 to 370 D1scholarship FB players a year. If not for Texas FB talent, Oklahoma would have to focus on wrestling and other minor sports.

Here are the percentages ranked high to low based of the total number (Texas/All) listed on the respective athletic department 2010 roster:

94% - Texas

88% - Texas A&M

88% - Baylor

81% - Texas Tech

52% - Oklahoma State

47% - Oklahoma

34% - Kansas

25% - Missouri

16% - Iowa State

16% - Nebraska

11% - Kansas State

5% - Colorado

Edited by ISUAGGIE

94% - Texas

88% - Texas A&M

88% - Baylor

81% - Texas Tech

52% - Oklahoma State

47% - Oklahoma

34% - Kansas

25% - Missouri

16% - Iowa State

16% - Nebraska

11% - Kansas State

5% - Colorado

Ok so 46% of the entire B12 are Texans and 26% of the out of state teams Texans. Impressive! There are 3 D1 FB scholarship players in my neighborhood of 50 homes. Impressive!

Sir, you mentioned previously that you were attending the game with your grandson, who is currently a UNT student. You do know that he could have gotten in for free, and you could have gotten a student guest ticket for $15? That's right, $15 to get both of you into the stadium to see a game against a premier opponent.

McCarney is not a prize. He is a coach who is 30 games under .500, nearly 60-years-old and at the end of his coaching career. Terrible choice. I wonder if there is a high school kid in the country who recognizes his name, let alone in Texas.

Several 4 star players both at Florida and South Florida certainly knew his name.