Wwhfd

MizzouTigers

Good question...

Fry recommended UNT alum Bill Brashier (who was his D.C. at Iowa) when they were leaving Denton for Iowa, but no one wanted to even talk to even one of our own alums about our job. Brashier was very successful with Fry in the Big 10. Yes, another miss opportunity on our part at UNT. :(

And MT, thanks for the nice words on another thread. Jeez, I never though of those song lyrics as cynical, though.

If Hayden Fry was the UNT Athletic Director...

...he would quit to become Iowa's AD.

I know people love Hayden Fry, and I can understand why, because he is one of the high points of North Texas football.

But why do we obssess over him? The world of college football is totally different than it was then. Yes some of his ideas, especially engaging the community are a good idea, especially from the role of AD, which is what he also was. The football coach more than anything needs to recruit, teach, adjust, win.

Alexander the Great's army steamrolled most of the world, but if the US Army tried to copy him now, we would find horse calvary and the sarissa spear a little lacking. College football isn't the same, Denton isn't the same, hell, people aren't the same anymore. A new coach should be looking forward, not backwards.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I know people love Hayden Fry, and I can understand why, because he is one of the high points of North Texas football.

But why do we obssess over him? The world of college football is totally different than it was then. Yes some of his ideas, especially engaging the community are a good idea, especially from the role of AD, which is what he also was. The football coach more than anything needs to recruit, teach, adjust, win.

Alexander the Great's army steamrolled most of the world, but if the US Army tried to copy him now, we would find horse calvary and the sarissa spear a little lacking. College football isn't the same, Denton isn't the same, hell, people aren't the same anymore. A new coach should be looking forward, not backwards.

Hmmmm...

Do you think Bob Stoops would agree with your assessment?

OH! NOW YOU'VE GONE AND DONE IT YOUNG GUN!!!1!!

• Upvote 2

Hmmmm...

Do you think Bob Stoops would agree with your assessment?

Bob Stoops walked into Oklahoma right as the BCS started handing out multi million dollar checks just for being in a BCS conference.

That won't be the situation whoever our new coach is will walk into.

Truth is, whoever takes over the NT job in 2011 will have a much tougher job than the guy who took it over in 1973.

The money gap is bigger than it ever was, same with exposure, and Denton is no longer a captive audience.

Don't tell Joe Paterno he's not relevent any more.

Again, Paterno built that program up in a differnt time. The PROGRAM is why they still win, remember when he almost got canned? It was only alumni good will that kept him around long enough, and then he realzied he had to change, however, the condition in which he changed and became successful again are NOTHING like what the new coach here will have to face.

If Paterno lost his mind, resigned from PS, and took the coachin job in Denton, there is no doubt in my mind he would not succeed. His "Program Building" days are far behind him, in a time that was totally different from now.

We need someone who can build a program, in the reality that this program faces, I think Leavitt did that at USF and that is why he is my #1 candidate right now.

Shoot me know or shoot me later, but I am beginning to like the idea of keeping Coach Canales around as the new HC more and more every day. Got to meet him personally and speak briefly with him last evening at the BB game...yes, he was at the BB game...like I said, I am beginning to like the idea more and more, and as most know, I was not onboard with this idea at first.

We'll see how it ends, but for now, I'm good with Coach Canales.

Let the harping begin...3...2...1...... :lol:

• Upvote 1

Bob Stoops walked into Oklahoma right as the BCS started handing out multi million dollar checks just for being in a BCS conference.

???? What does this have to do with anything? Do you really think OU didn't have enough money in their athletic budget and somehow checks from the BCS (whatever that means) made the difference in Bob winning a NC his second year at OU?

That won't be the situation whoever our new coach is will walk into.

No, the new coach will have a brand new stadium, a commitment to win from the administration, $1,000,000.00 for assistant coach's salaries and talent rich Dallas-Ft Worth a stones throw away. And he will be competing in the Sun Belt instead of the Big 12.

Truth is, whoever takes over the NT job in 2011 will have a much tougher job than the guy who took it over in 1973.

I strongly disagree with your assessment. I believe UNT has everything they need to dominate the Sun Belt Conference except the right coach.

The money gap is bigger than it ever was, same with exposure, and Denton is no longer a captive audience.

What money gap?

Shoot me know or shoot me later, but I am beginning to like the idea of keeping Coach Canales around as the new HC more and more every day. Got to meet him personally and speak briefly with him last evening at the BB game...yes, he was at the BB game...like I said, I am beginning to like the idea more and more, and as most know, I was not onboard with this idea at first.

He walked right by our seats on his way behind our bench. I said hi and he was interrupted by a couple of other people saying hi, but came back to our very brief conversation. I was impressed that he was there and any UNT coach would be wise to associate himself with one of the Johns.

It's always a gamble when you hire an inexperienced assistant for the head coach position. They are two completely different jobs so it is an unknown whether the Peter Principle will kick in.

Can UNT afford another risky hire?

KRAM, do you like Scrappy for head coach? He goes around and shakes everyone's hand is at every athletics event. :P

All I know is, Scrappy would be the most demonstrative coach to ever roam a college football sideline. Can someone start a Scrappy for Head Coach campaign? Get Chuck Neinas on the phone!

It's always a gamble when you hire an inexperienced assistant for the head coach position. They are two completely different jobs so it is an unknown whether the Peter Principle will kick in.

Can UNT afford another risky hire?

Johnny Jones was a pretty unknown quantity (as far as his experience and ability as a head coach) and an assistant when he came to UNT. He's done a pretty good job as head coach for the BB team I would say.

As Yogi Berra might say..."you just never know until you know".

First, please don't quote in the quote you pull, or else your words dont show up when other people try to quote you, and they have to do a bunch of copy/paste to see your words, and its really freaking annoying. Now, back to Arguing on the Internet.

???? What does this have to do with anything? Do you really think OU didn't have enough money in their athletic budget and somehow checks from the BCS (whatever that means) made the difference in Bob winning a NC his second year at OU?

OU's recruiting budget is bigger than out entire football budget. If you can't see why the kind of coach and tactics who could succeed at OU might not be the kind of coach and tactics that could succeed at NT, then we should just stop talking to each other, we are too far apart.

No, the new coach will have a brand new stadium, a commitment to win from the administration, $1,000,000.00 for assistant coach's salaries and talent rich Dallas-Ft Worth a stones throw away. And he will be competing in the Sun Belt instead of the Big 12.

And out total sports budget will be what, a tenth of Baylors still? And we DO compete with the B12, for recruits. Look, obviously I think a coach can be successful here, I saw Dickey do it, I get told almost everyday that Fry did it, and I kinda remember Parker doing it. But we need a specific kind of coach, one that fits out needs.

No matter what Dodge said, football isnt football, and he is a great a example of it. He was able to build a program at SLC that was able to attract such good talent that his program was so much better than almost everyone else that he could just steam roll people.

He then took those tactics and attitude to a North Texas, where our program, compared to other area college programs, is not the strongest kid on the block. Those tactics failed here.

We don't have a strong enough program that just any good coach can come in here and win, we need someone who knows how to BUILD a program.

I strongly disagree with your assessment. I believe UNT has everything they need to dominate the Sun Belt Conference except the right coach.

What does that have to do with comparing eras? We can win with the right coach, we have done that, but if we want to be successful beyond that we need someone who knows how to build a program for long term success.

What money gap?

The gap between the haves and the have nots. I think it is much greater now than it was during Fry's era.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1