Wwhfd

MizzouTigers

Yes, and in 2007 USF's OOC schedule was padded with a win over 13th ranked Auburn (at Auburn) and a win over 23rd ranked North Carolina just before they beat 5th ranked West Virginia.

I think UNT could use some padding like that.

At 1-2, UNC was #23? They finished with a losing record.

It took overtime to beat Auburn. They were ranked #12 in week 2 after a 10 point win against Kansas State. Auburn lost the week after to Mississippi State. Hardly a top 15 team.

WVU is always ranked high early because of their Big East affiliation and historical "domination". I will concede that was a great win.

You believe early season polls way too much though.

At 1-2, UNC was #23? They finished with a losing record.

It took overtime to beat Auburn. They were ranked #12 in week 2 after a 10 point win against Kansas State. Auburn lost the week after to Mississippi State. Hardly a top 15 team.

WVU is always ranked high early because of their Big East affiliation and historical "domination". I will concede that was a great win.

You believe early season polls way too much though.

I'd hate to hear what you have to say about Boise and see you pick apart their success.

This board gets happy when we lose 35-10 to .500 Clemson and at home to a lackluster Troy team.

Really?! Wow! Now that is an accomplishment to go into someone else's house and beat them in overtime!

When's the last time UNT beat an SEC school in overtime on the road?

It's interesting you chose that out of my entire post to question. Not that I am surprised. I don't know. Maybe someone will chime in with the answer to that. UAB beat USM in overtime a few weeks back. Guess they're a great team now.

Look, if you don't understand the difference between AQ Big East teams and Non-AQ Sun Belt teams in relation to the advantages therein, sorry. Likewise if you don't understand that beating a team (over)ranked solely on their performance the year before in overtime is nothing special, sorry. An average AQ team beating an average AQ team in overtime on the road is nothing special.

You make me glad I didn't accept Mizzou's offer to attend school there. I wouldn't have been able to handle my colleagues, I think.

LOL! A newby calling out another newby for being new! How ironic!

I like business. I like college football. I like debating the business of college football administration.

Now it's your turn...What are your ties to the UNT program? Hmmmm?

Now that's funny. I know TylerMeanGreen, and trust me...the guy has long and deep ties to UNT.

My guess is that the Tigers have a very dull fan board or you would not be such a troll on our board, right? You have to admit, this is a pretty "exciting" fan board as boards go. Buckle your chin strap and have a go.

I'd hate to hear what you have to say about Boise and see you pick apart their success.

This board gets happy when we lose 35-10 to .500 Clemson and at home to a lackluster Troy team.

Shhhhhh! I'm just trying to make a point. I'm in too deep to quit now.

Seriously though, anyone can look at Boise and tell they are a top 10 team. The USF teams, not so much. Every year teams are ranked higher than they should be early on. USF was in '07. It's as simple as that. The wins, with the exception of WVU, were nothing special.

Shhhhhh! I'm just trying to make a point. I'm in too deep to quit now.

Seriously though, anyone can look at Boise and tell they are a top 10 team. The USF teams, not so much. Every year teams are ranked higher than they should be early on. USF was in '07. It's as simple as that. The wins, with the exception of WVU, were nothing special.

Ya, I'll agree that this Boise team is by far their best. In years past I didn't believe in them and think they would've fallen to a great program. I think they're capable of beating most every top program this year.

It's interesting you chose that out of my entire post to question. Not that I am surprised. I don't know. Maybe someone will chime in with the answer to that. UAB beat USM in overtime a few weeks back. Guess they're a great team now.

Look, if you don't understand the difference between AQ Big East teams and Non-AQ Sun Belt teams in relation to the advantages therein, sorry. Likewise if you don't understand that beating a team (over)ranked solely on their performance the year before in overtime is nothing special, sorry. An average AQ team beating an average AQ team in overtime on the road is nothing special.

You make me glad I didn't accept Mizzou's offer to attend school there. I wouldn't have been able to handle my colleagues, I think.

Wow! You sure did a lot of tap dancing around my question so I will axed you again.

Since beating a ranked SEC team in overtime on their home field is no big deal, name the last time UNT did it.

Sorry to interject in this because my point is way off topic, but I wonder how many of you there are?

Here ladies & gentlemen is a fantastic example of a "name" coach (we can all agree that in the state of Texas, despite his qualifications, that Todd Dodge was a "name" coach) can have a positive effect on the fanbase even after he is gone.

I'm not saying that Dodge was the ONLY reason you got tickets Tyler, but surely something excited you enough to get tickets again... Then, you decided to buy club seats (despite Dodge's record) even though Dodge is gone.

It's fans like you that this hire should bring back. Is coach Canales the guy for this? I don't know, but I'm interested in what you have to say if you could step back in time and transpose Chico for Dodge.

Sorry to interject in this because my point is way off topic, but I wonder how many of you there are?

That is a great question thank you for asking. If you will forgive a bit of digression, I will address your question.

To be honest, prior to 2006 I had lost interest in the UNT athletic program (as well as the alumni program) after so many years of having been jerked around by both.

I was at UNT during the Hayden Fry years For those of you who were not around to experience them, God those were exciting years. To go to UT and match up with them (and we did match up with them Hayden Fry was once referred to by Frank Broyles as the best one-game coach in America and he was), only to be beaten by the superior skills of Earl Campbell in one game; and Johnny (Lam) Jones in another, was exhilarating.

But after so many years of essentially abandoning the athletic program, why did I return to UNT as a season-ticket holder in 2006? Definitely, the hiring of Todd Dodge was the reason………yes, he was well-known in local circles, but it went far beyond that he represented a commitment to the football program by the university administration that I had not felt/seen in many years.

Yes, he was a name coach but it was not the name alone. For me it was a new commitment to make the UNT football program relevant and with, what is sometimes sarcastically referred to on this board, a class individual. I felt he had great potential (many of you have indicated with postings on this board that you felt the same way when he was hired). No, it did not work out but the COMMITMENT by the athletic administration (and the university administration) was there, and that was important to me.

I have a dog in this hunt for a new head football coach I love this university and I have had more than a few lumps in my throat at emotional times during these four years that I have been back and I dont apologize for it. Let me assure you that I will have another one when that final play is run at Fouts on November 27 (so many memories from when I was a young stud enjoying the college life at NTSU) you just have to have watched this program for the 40 years that I have to understand the hope that Todd Dodge and Dr. B represented to this old alumnus.

Now, what if it was four years ago and it were Mike Canales, and his current body of work, being chosen as the new UNT head football coach would I be equally as motivated to again buy season tickets and support the Mean Green?

Honestly, I would look at what was being presented in terms of his background. I would pay attention to interviews with him, and other peoples impression of him. I would want to know all I could about this new coach. And more important - Is he representative of a new commitment to have a competitive football program (and not just against Sun Belt Conference teams).

But more than anything, I would want RV and the athletic department/university administration to sell Mike Canales to me and even more important, sell the concept of a strong commitment to the football program. And then bring Mike Canales to the East Texas region let me meet him and hear his vision let him get me all fired up!

You know, Todd Dodge was head football coach for 4 years to my knowledge neither he nor the athletic administration EVER came to East Texas to meet the alumni and ask for our help in putting fannies in seats. That is now changing with the Mean Green Club Representative program. But seeking our help and rallying the alumni has not existed up to this point. The numbers are here in East Texas. The love of UNT is here. Memories are here now it is up to the next head football coach, RV, and the UNT Athletic Department to show us they are going to deliver.

I dont know what the answer is for the next head coach. I am impressed by Canales and what I have heard from him + what I have seen on the football field. He has inherited a helluva tough situation and he is running with it, and I am impressed.

I do know that I want to win with class, integrity, and character. For those of you who post on this board that winning is all that matters, I respectfully request that you back up and think about that for a little bit. We can hire a coach that will win and win with those three characteristics. UNT does not need someone elses baggage we have enough of our own.

Go Mean Green.

Rhey Nolan

Edited by tylermeangreen
  • Upvote 3

In fairness, he probably would be if we hired Leavitt. At least he'd look up the scores of our games.

Right and wrong!

Not only would I be a UNT fan, but I would also be a donor to your program. Not only would I attend as many home games as possible, but I would attend away games as well. My hometown is less than 50 miles from Jonesboro, AR, my condo in Florida is within spittin' distance of FAU's stadium and about a 20 minute drive to FIU. Bowling Green, KY is not that far of a drive from where I live either.