Wwhfd

MizzouTigers

For every one of those success stories I can list at least 10-20 failures. Can UNT afford to take those odds in hiring their next coach?

Oh come on! Based on your logic, no school should ever promote an Assistant Coach to Head Coach. All hiring involves taking a risk and past results have never guaranteed future success.

I don't know if Canales is the right guy or not, but he certainly should be interviewed.

Football is football. Winning is winning.

That is, verbatim, what Todd Dodge said at his hiring press conference. He was wrong, so are you.

Are you aware of what Boise State's football budget is?

Almost twice ours.

Where is there more football talent, the entire State of Idaho or in Dallas/Ft Worth alone?

Boise recruits in California and Texas, and almost every program in the nation recruits DFW.

Why is UNT not competing for just a couple of the Texas players on Mizzou's roster?

Holy crap. We aren't recruiting in Texas?! Someone should have told Dodge and Dickey and Simon... oh wait, we are recruiting in Texas. It's just that schools in AQ conferences have the resouces to dazzle recruits, get them to play on tv all the time, in top rate support systems. And that is all because of money.

If Money really isn't that important, I tell you what, write up ol Mike Alden and tell him to forward that multi million dollar AQ disbursement check over to Rick V.

Oh come on! Based on your logic, no school should ever promote an Assistant Coach to Head Coach. All hiring involves taking a risk and past results have never guaranteed future success.

I don't know if Canales is the right guy or not, but he certainly should be interviewed.

This. Not sure how you can get new HCs if you cannot promote assistants. There are plenty of assistants that have gone on to be great head coaches and plenty of HCs that have moved up and not been successful. It is always a gamble, no matter who you get.

That is, verbatim, what Todd Dodge said at his hiring press conference. He was wrong, so are you.

Almost twice ours.

Boise recruits in California and Texas, and almost every program in the nation recruits DFW.

Holy crap. We aren't recruiting in Texas?! Someone should have told Dodge and Dickey and Simon... oh wait, we are recruiting in Texas. It's just that schools in AQ conferences have the resouces to dazzle recruits, get them to play on tv all the time, in top rate support systems. And that is all because of money.

If Money really isn't that important, I tell you what, write up ol Mike Alden and tell him to forward that multi million dollar AQ disbursement check over to Rick V.

Funny...

That's just what they told Ol' Jim Leavitt when he said he was going to go head to head with Florida, Florida State and Miami in recruiting at South Florida.

This. Not sure how you can get new HCs if you cannot promote assistants. There are plenty of assistants that have gone on to be great head coaches and plenty of HCs that have moved up and not been successful. It is always a gamble, no matter who you get.

Is UNT in a position to make that gamble when better and safer bets are available?

Football budget...

Boise State -- which is spending more on football than it used to -- has a $6.2 million football budget, including scholarship money.

One source

If that is what you mean, then yes, they are probably still close to double our football budget. Part of that is that they have to be in WAC, but the other part is that their entire budget is almost double ours, why wouldn't that hold true to each sport.

And?

So why not hire one of those best head coaches he worked for instead?

You asked what in his past would suggest he would be a good head coach. I answered. Thanks for agreeing.

I've never gone on record on where I think the next coach should come from, so I've never said we shouldn't get a top head coach. Pay attention.

If that is what you mean, then yes, they are probably still close to double our football budget. Part of that is that they have to be in WAC, but the other part is that their entire budget is almost double ours, why wouldn't that hold true to each sport.

Give me some numbers. I understand UNT has been slightly below the Sun Belt median in the past, but I do believe there are changes blowin' in the wind for whoever is the next coach...

CHANGE!

This whole money argument is silly. Of course it matters.

MT, when the B12 almost came apart, and people found out that UT and OU were taking the lions share of money, regardless of on the field performance, did that seem fair to you?

If it did, congratulations, you have reached a state of being free from want that I can only hope to achieve.

If however, you are a normal human being and it did seem unfair, now you know what us non AQ school feel like, so stop acting like money isn't hugely important.

You asked what in his past would suggest he would be a good head coach. I answered. Thanks for agreeing.

I've never gone on record on where I think the next coach should come from, so I've never said we shouldn't get a top head coach. Pay attention.

How does working for other head coaches make one a head coach?

If I get a job at Microsoft does that mean I will be the next Bill Gates?

This whole money argument is silly. Of course it matters.

MT, when the B12 almost came apart, and people found out that UT and OU were taking the lions share of money, regardless of on the field performance, did that seem fair to you?

If it did, congratulations, you have reached a state of being free from want that I can only hope to achieve.

If however, you are a normal human being and it did seem unfair, now you know what us non AQ school feel like, so stop acting like money isn't hugely important.

Again I ask...

Why are you comparing UNT to OU and UT?

Is UNT in a position to make that gamble when better and safer bets are available?

Safer? Who?

And if you were going to suggest Leavitt, don't bother to type. As the SEC AD put it, it's easer to explain a coach's record than his scandals. There isn't a "risk" the scandal would be brought up - it is a certainty. I don't care if he was wrongly fired or not. Right now he has scandal attached and until that goes away NT can't afford the certainty of problems.

How else does one learn how to be a successful HC then by watching someone else? Working at MS does not mean you will be Bill Gates, but it could mean that you could be Steve Ballmer.

Many coaches are judged from a historical POV on the other HCs they produce.

Fry

Saban

Where do you think head coaches come from?

Your "And?" reply implied agreement with the fact that working with them provides some level of preparation to do the job. Why the 180?

Safer? Who?

And if you were going to suggest Leavitt, don't bother to type. As the SEC AD put it, it's easer to explain a coach's record than his scandals. There isn't a "risk" the scandal would be brought up - it is a certainty. I don't care if he was wrongly fired or not. Right now he has scandal attached and until that goes away NT can't afford the certainty of problems.

OK, I'll mark you down under the column of "Political Correctness is More Important Than Winning So UNT Should Hire A Coach That Was Fired For Underacheiving."

How was Jim Leavitt able to recruit future NFL talent to play at South Florida?

When USF's program got off the ground, there were only 3 big-time football schools in the state. The state of Florida had a surplus of talent that USF was able to exploit.

The talent pool in Texas gets divided among ten D-1 Texas teams, plus OU, OSU, LSU, etc.

• Upvote 1

If we were recruiting against those caliber teams we would be dominating the Sun Belt year in year out. The fact is we are not. I hope that some day we will.

Just becasue we arent SUCCESFUL against them doesn't mean we aren't in a competitve market with them. If they didn't offer those recruits, we would, but they do, so we can't. They take the things we want, that is competition.

We compete (poorly) with the big programs.