What Is The Difference On Defense Today?

FirefightnRick

1-5.

With a 4th string walk-on QB starting for us. Big difference. But with you, it is all black and white -- so you won't get it.

We played better than we have all year...period. In fact, better than we have in a few years. Dont diminish this accomplishment, or our opponent, just to serve an agenda. Let's take this for what it is, a "W" when they're not common around here.

• Upvote 3

1-5.

With a 4th string walk-on QB starting for us. Big difference. But with you, it is all black and white -- so you won't get it.

Wow

Think I'll just point out that the backup QB doesn't play defense (which is what this thread is about, by the way) and move on.

Defense went back to the Ron Mendoza system that didn't work 4 years ago because it was too advanced for the players at the time.

You mean that crazy scheme that the Oklahoma coaches mocked openly in Todd's first game while running up the score?

Tell you what -- we'll promise not to bother ourselves with what goes on in District 7-5A from here on out if you return the favor.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Defense went back to the Ron Mendoza system that didn't work 4 years ago because it was too advanced for the players at the time.

Aledo's offense must be super advanced since they scored 62 on Mendoza's Springtown defense earlier this year

Edited by NT03

Great win for the team. Houstonmeangreen, did you watch the game and observe Riley first hand or are you joining caribbeangreen in being a little over the top? (I would have said something else, buy didn't want to get banned for stating the obvious). Congrats Coach C, staff and the entire team. They could have given up on this year, but chose to show us what they are made of. I am very proud of all of them.

Great win for the team. Houstonmeangreen, did you watch the game and observe Riley first hand or are you joining caribbeangreen in being a little over the top? (I would have said something else, buy didn't want to get banned for stating the obvious). Congrats Coach C, staff and the entire team. They could have given up on this year, but chose to show us what they are made of. I am very proud of all of them.

Over the top?? For the first time in a long time, we have actual REAL HOPE. Dodge is removed from the program, and THE NEXT WEEK we have our biggest win since 2004 over a team that hasn't lost a conference game by more than one score... in their house... on their homecoming... coming off the biggest win in their program's history. So that's total coincidence? I'm "over the top" to think that with real college coaches and a competent gameplan this group of players can avoid stupid penalties, back to back time outs, and find motivation and determination to go out and dominate somebody on the road like we haven't seen in more than half a decade?!?

We open a new stadium next year. We have hope again. We have reason to believe that the nightmare of the last five plus years may be ending. Hell yes I'm over the top. Todd Dodge can enjoy the over $1M in checks he cashed from us, hope he puts a new pool in or something. But not pointing out the exciting, promising obvious is a disservice.

GMG!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Can anyone tell what changes were made, any adjustments for our game against wKYJelly?

Seems Roberts has been in better position to make plays better than ever before?

Rick

I think the D did a good job of executing and putting pressure on the qb. That said, every area of the game effects the others. The offense didn't have a turnover today, and our special teams played well, so our defense wasn't put in alot bad situations, and they didn't spend all day on the field. Because of this, I think they were not gased down the stretch in the 4th. At least that is my take on it.

It was a great win for everyone associated with North Texas. Thank you players, coach Canales, and coach DeLoach.

that final score was not really indicative of the game. we sucked but we didn't suck that bad.

i didn't feel good coming into this game.

you fired your coach.

had 2 weeks before the next game.

put a guy in at qb that torched us last year.

have a good running back.

willie said our practice on tuesday was one of the worst all year.

was majorly p!ssssed about it. said the youngsters (he's played 10 true freshmen this year) didn't get it.

he was right.

but the biggest reason you won today.

we pretty much SUCK as a football team. honestly...you guys do too. so does ulm. these are low water mark teams of fbs.

and we suck worse than any of 'em.

i can blame it all on eLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLson but our a.d. and pres. were behind him to make the transition. sometimes a guy says all the right things. sounds great. but sucks at his job.

that was eLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLson. one thing i heard was he maybe recruited too many 'solid citizens'....good kids.

i don't want us to be 'the u' but some of our better teams had a few thugs on them. harbaugh usually kept 'em out of jail but they wouldn't be high your list to hire in corporate usa.

dunbar is a stud and riley looks like he's nfl bound when he plays us. why in the hell hasn't he been playing all year? or does he just look that good when he's playing the worst team in 1a????

that final score was not really indicative of the game. we sucked but we didn't suck that bad.

you fired your coach.

was majorly p!ssssed about it. said the youngsters (he's played 10 true freshmen this year) didn't get it.

he was right.

we pretty much SUCK as a football team. honestly...you guys do too. so does ulm. these are low water mark teams of fbs.

i can blame it all on eLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLson but our a.d. and pres. were behind him to make the transition. sometimes a guy says all the right things. sounds great. but sucks at his job.

that was eLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLson. one thing i heard was he maybe recruited too many 'solid citizens'....good kids.

i don't want us to be 'the u' but some of our better teams had a few thugs on them. harbaugh usually kept 'em out of jail but they wouldn't be high your list to hire in corporate usa.

dunbar is a stud and riley looks like he's nfl bound when he plays us. why in the hell hasn't he been playing all year? or does he just look that good when he's playing the worst team in 1a????

I don't know about you , but I'm ready for some roundball !!!

As much as ULM may suck they still have a shot at the conference title if they can win out and Troy falters again.. I think the whole conference this year from top to bottom has been a very big disappointment

Edited by NT03

you fired your coach.

he was right.

Hey, it's hard to see any good in these things (we all know that in Denton), but you're not worse than ULL because you beat them. I seriously doubt that you're as bad as either FBS team in New Mexico, and I doubt if you have as screwed up a contract as UNM does with its head football coach, who continues to embarress his employer on and off the field. I think there's hope that your new coach is the real deal, with solid college level coaching and NFL playing experience, whereas Elson only proved how difficult it can be moving from the FCS to FBS level of play. I don't know if that helps any.

Edited by eulessismore

Wow

Think I'll just point out that the backup QB doesn't play defense (which is what this thread is about, by the way) and move on.

I suppose you will move on past the notions that the the amount of time the defense stays on the field because of not moving the ball, DOES affect the defense.

I thought NT got the best overall play they have had at least since the Clemson game. The defense, offense and special teams all were good with few mistakes. WKU obviously isn't a very good team but neither were several others that NT has managed to lose to. WKU's game plan helped a lot because they tried few long passes which has been a big problem for NT's defense and relied early on their middle running game playing into NT's strength. Jackson and Atkisson have been solid all year and the defensive ends and linebackers were effective today. Personally I think not being down 0-7 was a great advantage.

On the offensive side, the line finally had a good game. Another courageous game by Riley, Dunbar finally got enough blocking to take over the game.

Sometimes, when you cut out a cancer, the entire body responds with great vigor.

It also helps when you play a team qith the talent level and success rate of WKU.

GREAT WIN for the Mean Green...unfortunately I was not able to listen to or watch the game as am out of town, but the write up in this morning's paper was GREAT to read...such that it was in the Seattle paper. Any win for the Mean Green is a GREAT win. I am very proud of the ream and the coaching staff. They could have checked it in for the season, and they didn't. My hat is off to these guys and the staff. Nice to get the win...they EARNED IT!!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

I hate to digress and move back to the original topic but the difference I noticed was Ira Smith was suspended and Jeremy Phillips was moved to linebacker. Therefore Ira wasn't able to miss any tackles, and Phillips wasn't in his usual spot to blow coverages.

Hmmm, appreciate the insight. Although I agree that Phillips has been played out of position at times (running down field trying to cover a WR), I have noticed that he's been consistently one of the few who seems to know when to look back for the ball when it's coming?

Rick

It also helps when you play a team qith the talent level and success rate of WKU.

Check their conference schedule leading up to this one... no losses by more than one score, coming off a blowout win over ULL.. (fared better than we did against common opponents). new coach, at home, homecoming.... this wasn't provisional WKU here. This was a strong, strong unexpected win based on where we are. No need to throw "buts" on it. GMG!

• Upvote 3