Why Leavitt?

polo44

haven't seen this posted yet

I figure that with the way I have seen a large proportion of you write, this website will hit a chord.

Everyone who went through the Dickey era knows this website feels eerily familiar. Why would you want to go through that again? You don't even have to peruse the website just read the homepage. Pretty much sums up the Dickey era for me. I don't know what the future holds but if we have to go through that again it won't be very rosy. Maybe Leavitt has grown since USF and the incident with the player, but I wouldn't count on a changed man.

All I care to remember is that Dickey had a hot streak in a talent poor Sunbelt conference that won besides its self on almost every occasion. The lack of discipline was deplorable at times (anyone who witnessed the grenade celebration can relate). Call it swagger if you are inclined to do so but you really know what it is. One of a myriad of program building traits of our next coach I will look for is accountability for ones actions on and off the field, for players and coaches alike.

Sorry for the brain dump but hiring Leavitt in my estimation would be a mistake. My glass at this moment is half-empty and that might just empty it.

Edited by polo44
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

I figure that with the way I have seen a large proportion of you write, this website will hit a chord.

Everyone who went through the Dickey era knows this website feels eerily familiar. Why would you want to go through that again? You don't even have to peruse the website just read the homepage. Pretty much sums up the Dickey era for me. I don't know what the future holds but if we have to go through that again it won't be very rosy. Maybe Leavitt has grown since USF and the incident with the player, but I wouldn't count on a changed man.

All I care to remember is that Dickey had a hot streak in a talent poor Sunbelt conference that won besides its self on almost every occasion. The lack of discipline was deplorable at times (anyone who witnessed the grenade celebration can relate). Call it swagger if you are inclined to do so but you really know what it is. One of a myriad of program building traits of our next coach I will look for is accountability for ones actions on and off the field, for players and coaches alike.

Sorry for the brain dump but hiring Leavitt in my estimation would be a mistake. My glass at this moment is half-empty and that might just empty it.

What, nothing as to why we should hire Mike Canales from you today?

Now Leavitt was as bad as Dickey? Gee whiz!!!

Rick

Thanks for the insight. I don't have a problem with the ra ra stuff that is mentioned. It might be a good break from the all business attitude that is getting more prevalent in college ball.

I can get past the altercation between him and a player. It is not like it was a confrontation on a pee wee team he was coaching. NO, it is not right that he put his hands on a player in anger, and a coach has to do his best to keep his cool at all levels. Like it or not, college football has crossed the line of becoming a business. It has to when you look at the investment in multi million dollar stadiums, weight rooms, salaries, etc that schools are making. These are all men, and human beings as well. Emotions run high from the pressure of the moment, and these things happen.

I could also get past it if his recollection of what took place and why was different than those around him. Maybe they did not see the whole thing, for example, what led to it or heard what the player said. What I do have a problem with is that it is purported that Leavitt tried to cover it up by not being forthcoming and asking players and coaches to change their stories. I am not saying I would not support him coming, I would just hope this situation is given a good hard look before we do something we will regret down the road.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1

One of a myriad of program building traits of our next coach I will look for is accountability for ones actions on and off the field, for players and coaches alike.

I couldn't agree more with the above statement. We can win and run a good program at the same time. I have no interest in becoming the second coming of Miami. I don't know who that coach is, but I will trust RV to make the right decision.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

We need a coach that is comprised of the best traits of Todd Dodge and Vlad the Impaler. Don't give us a namby, pamby coach, you jackwagons! :)

I am resigned to the fact that we will not find the "perfect" coach. I hope that a coach that exhibits a majority of our ideal traits will step up to the challenge and accept our job offer. I trust RV to make the right call.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Whoever the next coach we be, lets hope he can take USF to the next level!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is time for USF Head Football Coach Jim Leavitt to move on. He started the program from scratch and I am very thankful for where he has taken the program, but I don't think he can take us any further. Too many people are sucked in by his "Ra Ra" attitude and his running sprints across the field during pre-game warm-ups, but the facts speak for themselves!

His teams are immature and undisciplined and when things go bad on the field the players just bitch and complain, instead of stepping it up and taking care of business. The bottom line is that USF is in the Big East, which is without a doubt, the weakest of the BCS Conferences. The Bulls should rule the Big East, but if you can't take care of your Conference Games, it doesn't matter what you do. Since joining the Big East in 2005, Leavitt has led his team to a Conference Record of 17-18. That doesn't get it done.

Coach Leavitt has a career record of 95-57, which is more than respectable. Of those 95 Wins, 20 were when the Bulls played on the I-AA Level and 7 more came when they were a Transitional Team. Leavitt has a 3-2 Record in Bowl Games and I love that he has guided the team to those games, however coming from a BCS Conference, the Meineke Car Care Bowl, the Papajohns.com Bowl, the Sun Bowl, the magicJack St. Petersburg Bowl and the International Bowl are not the Bowl Games you want to be playing in. Unfortunately, those are the Bowls you get when you only win half your conference games.

So what will the future bring? Leavitt has a contract through 2014 and the 2010 Non-Conference schedule includes games against Stony Brook, Western Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Florida and Miami. It would be nice to win those games, especially against the "real schools,"but I would rather lose all 5 games and win a Big East Conference Championship any day. In reality, they will probably go 3-2 or 4-1 in those games and if history repeats itself they will have a .500 conference record.

So this disgruntled USF fan was complaining that Leavitt didn't do enough to elevate the program, wants into a better BCS conference than the Big East and doesn't like playing Sun Belt teams. What's the point? I'd be ecstatic to have those complaints.

The difference between Leavitt and Dickey is that Dickey's wins were very hollow and irrelevant and despite straight bowl appearances the man still had a losing record. Leavitt on the other than basically created the whole USF program from start to being #2 in the nation at one point and being in a BCS conference. I will gladly take Leavitt as being another Dickey because he will produce relevance here. The Dickey and Leavitt comparisons are rediculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Wow. Someone should tell Brad Kassell, Scott Hall, Brandon Kennedy, Jonas Buckles, Patrick Cobbs and company that their wins were hollow and irrelevant, their discipline was deplorable, that they won in spite of themselves, and that my God, we would NEVER want to go through a horrible sub-.500 era like theirs again.

Just make sure I get to be there when you all do it, ok?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I couldn't agree more with the above statement. We can win and run a good program at the same time. I have no interest in becoming the second coming of Miami. I don't know who that coach is, but I will trust RV to make the right decision.

We can either get serious or we can model ourselves after an upper middle class white suburban high school eg SLC. You have no interest in becoming Miami...well with that attitude we will never get anywhere. Miami is nationally visible with hardcore alumni that will be connected to the university forever. It is that type of attitude why North Texas is where it is today. Athletics is the window to the university but it is the regular alumni and fan base that will make our university what we want it to be. If it takes us in becoming Miami I will accept it and embrace it with open arms.

Wow. Someone should tell Brad Kassell, Scott Hall, Brandon Kennedy, Jonas Buckles, Patrick Cobbs and company that their wins were hollow and irrelevant, their discipline was deplorable, that they won in spite of themselves, and that my God, we would NEVER want to go through a horrible sub-.500 era like theirs again.

Just make sure I get to be there when you all do it, ok?

+10000

I never have understood the downplaying of the accomplishment of Dickey and those teams.

Also, I hate to break it to some people, but the vast majority of the current fan base never saw Hayden Fry. For most of the fans, those four bowl years are the height of North Texas football, and I for one would love to get back tot he NO Bowl soon.

+10000

I never have understood the downplaying of the accomplishment of Dickey and those teams.

Also, I hate to break it to some people, but the vast majority of the current fan base never saw Hayden Fry. For most of the fans, those four bowl years are the height of North Texas football, and I for one would love to get back tot he NO Bowl soon.

Yup. The downplaying of and scoffing at the (at WORST) second greatest run of football success in school history is utterly mind-boggling. Frankly, it's embarrassing. Sure, if we become Texas and grow that kind of history, a 4-year conference win streak blends into the ether a bit more. But here? For us? Why the EFF would anyone run down that run?!?

If you're masochistic enough to be a NT football fan, those years should be nothing be a fantastic stinkin' memory. To belittle that run, well, maybe you're just a fan of what happened when you were there, can't get over personal relationships or butt hurt, or are utterly delusional. Me? I got to watch my alma mater roll off four straight conference championships and back to back national rushing champions. How many people - at ANY school or level - can claim that? Not effing many. WE CAN. Little ding dong NTSU. WE CAN.

• Upvote 2

I would take the success of Miami and all the baggage that goes along with it. Every major program in the country has personnel issues.

As long as that baggage includes recruiting players in Florida....please, for the love of God, put those trips to FIU and FAU to good use and recruit Florida.

Keith

So some jackass who hates Leavitt sets up some negative web site !....so he lost controll a little in a emotional business...well, Texas Tech gave bob Knight a second chance and he has done alot for that program! If he had a record of multiple of the same kind of situations then I might be on board...but right now, we need the best coach we can get...not saying he is that guy, but I wouldn't let this PC shi* get in the way too much anymore than I would let it get in the way of hiring Leach...might choice if we could get him.

I always get nervous when someone joins the site today and starts giving out opinions as he is one of us. Polo I welcome you to the board but I have to question your purpose. Feel free to PM me if you like. This board has been getting a lot of newcomers lately which is great but some of them seem to be supporting a particular agenda.

We can win and run a good program at the same time. I have no interest in becoming the second coming of Miami.

This. All day long, this.

I've got no problem with a coach being energetic and enthusiastic about winning. I don't mind a coach showing emotion on the sideline. But, an adult should know where to draw the line on anger.

There will be many good candidates for this job, thanks for the facility upgrades. Rick Villareal has worked hard to get this place better facilities. He made a mistake with Dodge. He realizes that.

We know he means business when the official job posting is requiring head coaching experience at the pro or college level. This is going to be a good hire.

If Canales can tick off two or three wins, I think he'll be in for consideration as well. And, that would be fine, too.

• Upvote 1

Yup. The downplaying of and scoffing at the (at WORST) second greatest run of football success in school history is utterly mind-boggling. Frankly, it's embarrassing. Sure, if we become Texas and grow that kind of history, a 4-year conference win streak blends into the ether a bit more. But here? For us? Why the EFF would anyone run down that run?!?

If you're masochistic enough to be a NT football fan, those years should be nothing be a fantastic stinkin' memory. To belittle that run, well, maybe you're just a fan of what happened when you were there, can't get over personal relationships or butt hurt, or are utterly delusional. Me? I got to watch my alma mater roll off four straight conference championships and back to back national rushing champions. How many people - at ANY school or level - can claim that? Not effing many. WE CAN. Little ding dong NTSU. WE CAN.

Calm down dude. I wasn't putting down the players or Dickey himself necessarily. That run of 4 years were nice but it didn't improve our football status or even athletics status one bit. I am not saying I want to substitute those years with what we have had the last 3 years but my point is that we are getting a been there done that type of coach with skins on the wall. He is the type of coach that will elevate our program status and eventually lead to better and more relevant OOC wins IMO. My opinion may not be popular but I believe there is a lot of truth and reality to it.

Edited by Green Mean

We know he means business when the official job posting is requiring head coaching experience at the pro or college level. This is going to be a good hire.

If Canales can tick off two or three wins, I think he'll be in for consideration as well. And, that would be fine, too.

Better check that job description again. No where does it specify that the NFL or NCAA coaching experience must have been as a head coach, just that an applicant is required to have five years combined coaching experience at those levels.

Calm down dude. I wasn't putting down the players or Dickey himself necessarily.

You said the run was hollow and irrelevant. I guess I..... misunderstood English?? I kinda thought it was undisputed fact it was one of the two most significant and successful runs in the history or NT football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You said the run was hollow and irrelevant. I guess I..... misunderstood English?? I kinda thought it was undisputed fact it was one of the two most significant and successful runs in the history or NT football.

That is not saying much. You are misunderstanding English because I said that 4 year run didn't do anything for the status of the program and it NT was never able to capitalize on that. Therefore in my estimation it would be irrelevant to what I think a coach such as Leavitt will do here.

• Downvote 5

That is not saying much. You are misunderstanding English because I said that 4 year run didn't do anything for the status of the program and it NT was never able to capitalize on that. Therefore in my estimation it would be irrelevant to what I think a coach such as Leavitt will do here.

Never said a word about Leavitt. Sorry for the confusion?

It's "not saying much", eh? Soooo, you're either sticking to your original "hollow, irrelevant" argument and saying that team really didn't accomplish anything of any substance, or you're agreeing that it was one of the best runs in NT history yet only because that history is so pathetic. Has to be one of those two, so which is it?

I could be sold on the second argument (damn sure not the first), but I'll continue to stick to the fact that we saw our alma mater win 4 straight conference titles while producing back to back national rushing titles. A fact i find anything but hollow, irrelevant, or "not saying much", regardless of what was or wasn't "capitalized on".

The Florida Marlins didn't "capitalize" on either of their two World Series titles. Does that make those titles "not worth much" or any less of an amazing achievement?? If Darrell Dickey put on a black jersey, burned down the administration building, and smoked the ashes it wouldn't change a damn thing about the run that we saw (and will very likely never see the likes of again in our lifetime). Those who spend time creating arguments designed to run that era and what those players accomplished down are beyond my comprehension.

• Upvote 2