Why Leavitt?

polo44

If the window to my university is a brawl with FIU with an alumni color man on the broadcast throwing out ghetto slang, or being a bunch of classless morons like the ones that showed up in the Cotton Bowl and whipped Texas, then I would prefer that window be boarded up.

Why can't we build a program like TCU, for example, that has done it by being successful on and off the field, and by being something the community, alumni and students can be proud of? Or how about Boise State that built their program much the same way TCU has?

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Being successful doesn't mean being classless.

Agreed. Especially since I've been to a Miami game in Miami. The last thing we want to be is Miami.

You don't have to be Miami or Oklahoma under Barry Switzer to achieve greatness. I like the Tom Osborne model at Nebraska. Mack Brown at Texas. Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. R.C. Slocum at A&M. Jim Tressel at Ohio State. Joe Paterno at Penn State. Art Briles is doing some nice things down in Waco without his team resorting to thuggery on and off the field.

You can win without having a complete breakdown of character in and around the program.

• Upvote 1

If there are so many great football coaches that are also great people, why have there been so few of them during our programs 100+ year history?

And can someone please forward a list of all these great coaches and morale paragons that are lining up to coach at NT to RV?

What Leach and Leavitt did was wrong. They made a serious mistake, they have paid for it, they deserve another chance.

Anyone who is purporting to make either one of these incidents into something as terrible as the long term, intentionally cultivated culture of cheating and dishonesty at Miami is either ignorant of the situation or intentionally misleading.

Oh, and if we are saying Leach can't be a candidate because of his mishandling of a situation in which a player had a concussion, then we shouldn't model ourselves after TCU:

On Monday, an American Medical News report online detailed an incident during a Sept. 24 game in which Horned Frogs running back Ed Wesley suffered a concussion.

Television cameras for ESPN , which was televising that game at SMU, caught Patterson berating team physician Dr. Sam Haraldson on the sideline for concluding that Wesley had a concussion and could not return to the game.

Haraldson told the Web site in the report that he "was verbally accosted by the coach, screaming at me insanely at the top of his lungs that he doesn't think [Wesley] has a concussion and what right do I have to hold him out."

If there are so many great football coaches that are also great people, why have there been so few of them during our programs 100+ year history?

And can someone please forward a list of all these great coaches and morale paragons that are lining up to coach at NT to RV?

What Leach and Leavitt did was wrong. They made a serious mistake, they have paid for it, they deserve another chance.

Anyone who is purporting to make either one of these incidents into something as terrible as the long term, intentionally cultivated culture of cheating and dishonesty at Miami is either ignorant of the situation or intentionally misleading.

Exactly. Its not as if Leavitt is some sort of modern age Raskolnikov and us his Detective Porfiry determined to see through his deserved time in Siberia.

Oh, and if we are saying Leach can't be a candidate because of his mishandling of a situation in which a player had a concussion, then we shouldn't model ourselves after TCU:

Actually, Coach Paterson has since apologized to the doctor and said, "Our doc's a great guy and did everything appropriately on the sidelines to make sure the young man was taken care of.." The doctor said, "Coach Patterson wasn't aware of the full details of the incident, and I take responsibility for that."

More details from a story on ESPN Dallas from last Friday.

Leach should be a candidate, but you have to understand the risk you are assuming if he isn't willing to accept the new rules. All coaches and players are going to have to get used to the new rules on concussions at all levels from high school through the pros. Jason Witten wanted to go back in during the Chicago game, but that's not possible anymore. Here are the details including the NFL requirements for a player to return to play.