Kntu On Firing

Mean Green 93-98

No offense, but do these guys know what they're talking about?

They mentioned Mike Canales as being here "the last few years."

They talked about the buyout the school would have to pay if Canales were let go.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I listened and did NOT get the feeling Canales was the "lead guy in the clubhouse."

What was that comment about Tune? Is he possibly going to get a medical RS?

A "medical red shirt" is not an official NCAA term, but the term is used when a student-athlete is injured after participating in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year and then qualifies for a Medical Hardship Waiver.

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

(a) the student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school;

(B) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

© the injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution’s scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater).

Edited by jimbob

I didn't get the feeling that RV was meaning "on the cheap" by saying fiscally responsible. He mentioned earlier in the press conference that NT would invest in a proven coach or a proven assistant at a big time program. I think we will spend close to 3X on the next HC over what we paid TD. I think RV knows he needs to get this one right. He wouldn't be making statements like these if he didn't already have approval from the BOR to go out and find the right guy, even if it costs more than we are acustom to paying.

With that said, I'm sure will will not be paying anyone in the seven figure range.

A "medical red shirt" is not an official NCAA term, but the term is used when a student-athlete is injured after participating in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year and then qualifies for a Medical Hardship Waiver.

Medical Hardship Waiver

If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

(a) the student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition or subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school;

(B) the injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and must result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

© the injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests/dates of competition or 20% of the institution’s scheduled contests/dates of competition in his/her sport (whichever number is greater).

Thanks for the clarification!

I tuned in just as RV was talking about how the new coach was going to have to get out in the community and sell the program. He said that he (RV) would be right there with him, but he indicated that the new HC would be out in the community almost every day for the first 6 months......YES!

Well, there's one Hayden Fry trait that RV will be looking for....thank God.

Now, I don't seem to remember that Leach was a "get out and make speeches in the community" type of guy.

How well does Canales do with that sort of thing. I know that Coach Carthal at WTA&M is that kind of guy. I get the impression the Tompsen at ACU is that kind of guy too.

Has an assistant ever been promoted permanently after the HC was fired.....and it turned out well? I know that Boise hires from within, but that's after their HC gets hired away from them.

"We need a coach who is out in the community." IN the restaurants, etc. Coaches need to be more of a ceo type. Understands importance of academics.

All of these are good things to hear.

Really?

I want a coach that Wins!

I want a packed stadium.

I want to sit in a traffic jam on I-35.

I want students purchasing tickets.

I want ticket prices to go up.

I want to pay a coach millions.

I want to talk about stadium expansion on 10 years.

I want to talk about players leaving UNT early for the draft.

No more High School Coaches!

No more experiments!

No 60+ year old that wants to give it one last try!

We don't need a coach that's a buddy!

We don't need a coach that's socially acceptable or media friendly!

We don't need a coach that's "looking" for a job!

• Upvote 3

I tuned in just as RV was talking about how the new coach was going to have to get out in the community and sell the program. He said that he (RV) would be right there with him, but he indicated that the new HC would be out in the community almost every day for the first 6 months......YES!

Now, I don't seem to remember that Leach was a "get out and make speeches in the community" type of guy.

How well does Canales do with that sort of thing. I know that Coach Carthal at WTA&M is that kind of guy. I get the impression the Tompsen at ACU is that kind of guy too.

Has an assistant ever been promoted permanently after the HC was fired.....and it turned out well? I know that Boise hires from within, but that's after their HC gets hired away from them.

The guys on the radio for some reason seemed to think that Canalas was the "front runner" if you read between the lines....if so, I missed it, because I didn't get that at all from RV. If I heard RV right, he mentioned that if Canalas came in "after" the season and ask to be included in the process, that he would welcome that, but then later said that he hoped to have the new coach in place by the "end" of the season.

He also mentioned he might be looking at coaches who had been out of coaching for a year or even two - how long as Bower been out?

Maybe Jimbo Fisher, but that's a special case.

I, too, was really liking what I was hearing in the qualities RV is seeking. He get the fact that it will take more than just winning to build the NT program. And that without the other qualities, we aren't going to be able to put together the kind of program that can win!

Guest MeanGreenHomer

Rick pretty much made it sound like he already had Bowers lined up. I asked him if he had anyone in mind at the moment and he said he didn't want to comment but then basically gave Bower's bio. A coach who maybe has been out of the game for a couple of years but has a proven record and has ties to the university.

Really?

I want a coach that Wins!

I want a packed stadium.

I want to sit in a traffic jam on I-35.

I want students purchasing tickets.

I want ticket prices to go up.

I want to pay a coach millions.

I want to talk about stadium expansion on 10 years.

I want to talk about players leaving UNT early for the draft.

No more High School Coaches!

No more experiments!

No 60+ year old that wants to give it one last try!

We don't need a coach that's a buddy!

We don't need a coach that's socially acceptable or media friendly!

We don't need a coach that's "looking" for a job!

We all want this. Baby steps sir.

Rick pretty much made it sound like he already had Bowers lined up. I asked him if he had anyone in mind at the moment and he said he didn't want to comment but then basically gave Bower's bio. A coach who maybe has been out of the game for a couple of years but has a proven record and has ties to the university.

Just say NO to Bower.

• Upvote 3

The guys on the radio for some reason seemed to think that Canalas was the "front runner" if you read between the lines....if so, I missed it, because I didn't get that at all from RV. If I heard RV right, he mentioned that if Canalas came in "after" the season and ask to be included in the process, that he would welcome that, but then later said that he hoped to have the new coach in place by the "end" of the season.

He also mentioned he might be looking at coaches who had been out of coaching for a year or even two - how long as Bower been out?

I picked up the same thing. As a matter of fact, though RV said Canales could apply, I don't think he will get much consideration for the job. That is the way I took it.