Mike Leach For Unt Head Coach

thew92

Ok, since you seem to have some idea of what's going on behind the scenes, is he as strictly opposed to some of the other big names that have surfaced as possibilities? I just don't see how the list would already be narrowed to two without at least gauging some interest from potential candidates.

I'm not saying I know all the behind the scenes...and I agree with everyone of you about the big names.

All I know is that RV has a lot of faith that the new stadium will be the changing of the tide for UNT football. Not sure the same priority is being placed on this new coach. I know Jeff Bower is the edge to take over....with Fraizer being considered.

Ok, since you seem to have some idea of what's going on behind the scenes, is he as strictly opposed to some of the other big names that have surfaced as possibilities? I just don't see how the list would already be narrowed to two without at least gauging some interest from potential candidates.

I suspect there has been a lot of "gauging sone interest from potential candidates" since the first game of the season, certainly after the Rice loss.

As for Leach, it would be very slashy, but I don't see how he would fit into Denton. We need someone to help build community interest, work with alumni or at least act friendly towards them and help directly with fund raising. Leach did none of that at Tech. There are guys with proven track records who will work with the community out there. We don't have a ton of money, but we aren't broke either and this is still a FBS head coaching job in a top 5 media market.

RV is considering only Bower or Frazier from Prarie View A&M

If this is true, then RV needs to be shown the door also. Has he not learned his leason?

Hell, I needed to fill a Financial Analyst II position and interviewed 5 individuals before filling the spot. I'm glad I did because candidate #4 blew everybody out of the water. If other candidates aren't considered, then RV has failed as our AD.

• Upvote 4

If this is true, then RV needs to be shown the door also. Has he not learned his leason?

Hell, I needed to fill a Financial Analyst II position and interviewed 5 individuals before filling the spot. I'm glad I did because candidate #4 blew everybody out of the water. If other candidates aren't considered, then RV has failed as our AD.

I'm sure other candidates are considered...I'm just not sure how much effort goes into calling them in....

My opinion...which I know means nothing....but

If UNT wants to be considered a big time division 1 program...then from top to bottom they need to act like a big time program.

These half fast hires and giving people a chance to prove themselves are fine...only if you have exhausted all other options.

• Upvote 2

I suspect there has been a lot of "gauging sone interest from potential candidates" since the first game of the season, certainly after the Rice loss.

As for Leach, it would be very slashy, but I don't see how he would fit into Denton. We need someone to help build community interest, work with alumni or at least act friendly towards them and help directly with fund raising. Leach did none of that at Tech. There are guys with proven track records who will work with the community out there. We don't have a ton of money, but we aren't broke either and this is still a FBS head coaching job in a top 5 media market.

This is quite correct. Leach was openly contemptuous of the community PR requirements of his TT contract. Big donor wants to shake hands and leave a huge check on the table? Drop dead, sez Mike. Visiting delegation of wealthy business alums would appreciate getting to meet the coach? Screw you, sez Mike. It happened so often that it became a big problem for the university executives who tried to make excuses for him with the offended backers; it's one of the things that made his firing for insubordination all the easier.

This is not trivial. We don't need a head case who broadcasts that he hates the people who want to help the program. Don't underestimate the importance of this; it's what makes Leach an unacceptable choice. We need every friend we can get. We need someone who can win games and friends at the same time.

Mike Leach would be so wrong for UNT is so many different ways that he is not even worth a phone call or consideration. It is amazing to me that his name keeps coming up here as a possibility. Too many other possibilities to stoop so low as to even consider Leach.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Mike Leach would be so wrong for UNT is so many different ways that he is not even worth a phone call or consideration. It is amazing to me that his name keeps coming up here as a possibility. Too many other possibilities to stoop so low as to even consider Leach.

Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. As long as he wins, and as long as he and his players stay out of trouble and eligible, I really don't care much about his image or social skills at this point. It's a serious longshot anyway but you never know.

• Upvote 1

Given that Leach is engaged in a lawsuit with a state entity and we are a state entity, I have doubts that we could hire Leach.

I don't think this is getting through people's skulls... similar to the "30 days" rumor that has been debunked about 100 times on here, yet it keeps coming up.

Forget about Leach while he is engaged in his lawsuit folks. If it ends tomorrow, then great, let's talk to him! But I don't want to wait around for him.

Fixed it for you.

The only thing you need to fix you can find from looking in the mirror. However, from your posts and your constant knocking of me and my posts I can definitely understand why you would like Mike Leach for UNT's next head coach. Absolutely understandable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

The only thing you need to fix you can find from looking in the mirror. However, from your posts and your constant knocking of me and my posts I can definitely understand why you would like Mike Leach for UNT's next head coach. Absolutely understandable.

Mike Leach is a winner. North Texas isn't. Big difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Whoa, whoa, whoa...we're having fun here, no?

He wasn't knocking you or your post, per se, just pointing out that he...and myself...and many others...hold the exact opposite opinion on Mike Leach.

Leach is a winner...Leach is a recognizable name in Texas to both recruits and fans...Leach would win at UNT. Plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

OK, you two need to tone it down a bit - no personal attacks (and I've seen them from both sides, on multiple occasions). Play nice or get a time-out.

Thanks.