It's All About The Injuries

James Mosley

Another year isn't going to teach Dodge how to manage the clock. How to use a timeout. How to have a play ready to go when the game finally resumes after a lengthy injury delay. Injuries aren't the reason that we don't know what we're doing and burn a timeout when we've had several minutes to figure it out because a player was laying on the field hurt. That's not 4 years ago, that's last week.

This. Read that a couple of times. You can add all the 4 and 5 star recruits you want and take away all of the injuries and you STILL have the above issue, 4 years into this.

• Upvote 1

At the start of this season - Dodge's fourth (full compliment of his recruits) - just about HALF (5) of his offensive starters were Dickey guys. So, you have a choice - the bare cupboard argument is ridiculous BS propped up by those with an increasingly lonely and flimsy agenda, or this offensive genius/recruiting whiz with great high school connections is one lousy recruiter. (I don't think he necessarily is, but I think the cupboard was just fine).

Generally speaking, when one coach with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OFFENSIVE STYLE AND SYSTEM replaces another, you don't see anything close to half of the offense being recruited by the old guy four years in. We sure saw that here.

More than a quarter of our ENTIRE starting lineup going into this, the big "turnaround season", were Dickey recruits. Let that sink in.

Let's think about this - Jamario Thomas. Danny Meager. Casey Fitzgerald. Tobe Nwigwe. Craig Robertson. Nathan Tune. Maurice Holman. Esteban Santiago, Eddie Gilmore, Victor Gill, Truman Spencer, Blake Burruss, Joe Miller, Draylen Ross, Monty Stevenson, Kelvin Drake, Brock Stickler, Aaron Weathers, Brandon Jackson, Chad Rose, Steve Warren, Brandon Monroe, Ike Thomas, and I could add several more if I wanted to look back.... THAT IS A BARE CUPBOARD I WOULD GO TO WAR WITH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Some of the best players of the Dodge (or any) era at NT - J-Mo, Fitz, Tobe, etc. - are Dickey guys. Any Sun Belt coach should be so lucky to inherit such a bare cupboard.

I just hope the new coach next year has a cupboard so well stocked.

• Upvote 4

Mr. Moseley - name one school in FBS football that would be okay with 6-36.

program wasn't winning when he got here, took three years to turn it around, it turned around but injuries took away the chance to prove it on the field. simple if you look at it with football since. Ask any coach across the country who has had to deal with this they would agree. Program is better today than it was three years ago. simple.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

At the start of this season - Dodge's fourth (full compliment of his recruits) - just about HALF (5) of his offensive starters were Dickey guys. So, you have a choice - the bare cupboard argument is ridiculous BS propped up by those with an increasingly lonely and flimsy agenda, or this offensive genius/recruiting whiz with great high school connections is one lousy recruiter. (I don't think he necessarily is, but I think the cupboard was just fine).

Generally speaking, when one coach with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OFFENSIVE STYLE AND SYSTEM replaces another, you don't see anything close to half of the offense being recruited by the old guy four years in. We sure saw that here.

More than a quarter of our ENTIRE starting lineup going into this, the big "turnaround season", were Dickey recruits. Let that sink in.

Let's think about this - Jamario Thomas. Danny Meager. Casey Fitzgerald. Tobe Nwigwe. Craig Robertson. Nathan Tune. Maurice Holman. Esteban Santiago, Eddie Gilmore, Victor Gill, Truman Spencer, Blake Burruss, Joe Miller, Draylen Ross, Monty Stevenson, Kelvin Drake, Brock Stickler, Aaron Weathers, Brandon Jackson, Chad Rose, Steve Warren, Brandon Monroe, Ike Thomas, and I could add several more if I wanted to look back.... THAT IS A BARE CUPBOARD I WOULD GO TO WAR WITH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Some of the best players of the Dodge (or any) era at NT - J-Mo, Fitz, Tobe, etc. - are Dickey guys. Any Sun Belt coach should be so lucky to inherit such a bare cupboard.

I just hope the new coach next year has a cupboard so well stocked.

I'm out of +1's today - remind me to give this post one tomorrow.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As critical and over the top as one may be, it is important to look and evaluate performance of the team THIS SEASON. Just for starters people, this season alone! My intention is not to absolve the coaching staff of inadequate leadership in previous years, but to look at the progress of the team.

In early years of DT’s tenure, coaching ranks were dominated by HS coaches. That there was bad and a colossal miscalculation by head coach. For those who are old enough, it reminds me of when Jerry Tarkanian …in his own right, a hall of fame college basketball coach…along with his inexperienced coaches screwed up the NBA San Antonio Spurs. His error was that while drowning in his responsibilities, he did not bring in capable hands to help him guide the team in the right direction.

What we have here is similar but a little different; TD’s first couple of years was similar to Tarks therefore was inadequately managed. Among other errors, mistakes and HS calls were rampant. Some of our losses were shameful and outright unacceptable. However, he has caught the light, or the light caught him, whatever the revelation is, I think he has made sufficient changes by infusing his staff with capable hands. Our new OC was a heck of a move to shore up the offence.

This here was to be the breakout season. We had the right stable of players, had the right signings from HS and JC. Had the right fellows like McCoy, show up. This here was the season……But SO FAR, this season, injuries have sabotaged us. Some people say injuries are part of the game; I agree….but this level of injuries, a ton key players knocked out for the season… the fourth quarter back, key corner back out for the season, offensive line decimated with injuries and that’s just a few. Look, I am not absolving coach for his first two years, but what I saw in spring and fall camp, what I saw beginning of the season was a team ready to challenge Troy and that caliber team for league title. Be as it may, we are where we are. I don’t blame those that want the coach to leave; however, as difficult as it may be, I would call on all, to evaluate this season’s performance with an untainted eye. Some may complain about the penalties, please friends, those happen when you have backups and people whom coach had no intention of playing. No team synergy….That is reality!

Anyway, the season is not yet over, our lights are dim, but they are on. We pray for no more knockout injuries. And Yes, it is possible to salvage this season. And it starts from today…A win today….LET’S BEAT fiu…GO MEANGREEM!

program wasn't winning when he got here, took three years to turn it around, it turned around but injuries took away the chance to prove it on the field. simple if you look at it with football since. Ask any coach across the country who has had to deal with this they would agree. Program is better today than it was three years ago. simple.

How was it better than 3 years ago????? If you're going by the stadium, it has NOTHING to do with Dodge. What other ways are you gauging TD's success? Just because you like him? Just because he gave your son a scholarship? I think your son is a helluva player and was sorely misused by TD, but that's another story we can repeat with this regime for many players. One thing i will agree with you on, TD is a better HC than he was when he first got there. it took him 4 years to get to this point. UNACCEPTABLE. We didn't hire him to learn to be a head coach or learn how to run a program. Unfortunately for NT's pocket book, that's exactly what has transpired here.

My question to you, what other FBS or FCS school would hire TD right now, to be their HC??????? Think about that.

Wins wise it is actually worse. So, I don't agree with your assessment.

Not to mention this is not some sort of under .500 record we're talking about. This is not even a under .200 record we're talking about. He has won less than 15% of his games. No coach in the country, no matter WHAT is was replacing, would be safe with that.

Not even SMU coming off the freaking DEATH PENALTY did this bad in their first 4 years.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

Wins wise it is actually worse. So, I don't agree with your assessment.

Not to mention this is not some sort of under .500 record we're talking about. This is not even a under .200 record we're talking about. He has won less than 15% of his games. No coach in the country, no matter WHAT is was replacing, would be safe with that.

Not even SMU coming off the freaking DEATH PENALTY did this bad in their first 4 years.

Totally agree with all the past years, the last three years, terrible, no reason why it should have been that bad, totally agree. now, look at the freaking changes that have been made over those years. All the right things have been done to correct the problem. program is better now, team was prepped to show you how much better it was. so now look at the program today. Dickey won 2 games one year and 3 the other during his last two years of coaching at North Texas. dodge walked into a system which was already losing. I agree with someone elses post, there were some great players on those teams. To me it's simple, I look at where the program is today, not at the bad years getting here but where it is today and all the changes made to get it here.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

The team is better on offense and defense because Dodge has less say in those areas then he did during the first 3 years. That said, we are no better in the wins column, and that's why people feel he needs to go. I'm sorry, but unless he gets 7 wins, I think he needs to go.

I know you must be a big Dodge fan. I hope you have a chance to continue your support of him when he is coaching high school again.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't that the game we lost our 1st and 2nd string QB and had to play the 3rd string to finish the game? That might have had something to do with it plus going behind two scores early in the game.

Do you realize that our injuries to this date do not stack up to what ASU went thru last year ? Injuries are apart of the game , just like penalties & just like poor clock management .

I bet there is not 1 team across the nation from High School to the NFL who would say they are 100% healthy. Does it suck for TD ? Yes of course , I feel bad for the guy.

Even with the injuries we still had more talent than Rice ( who had 3 starters out ) UL ( who had 3 starters out , including Green) & arguably ASU yet we still went 0 - 3

Do you really understand how good this team was set to be? NO YOU DON'T GET IT. no one will because this team didn't get a chance to prove it on the field due to the freaking injuries. Big difference in my job and a coaching job. I'm not judged by people not in my profession and who have never coached in their life or much less even played the freaking game of football. What would be your next move as a head coach at north texas. Pleae give us some examples. Maybe bring in a proven OC, done that, maybe bring in a proven college DC, done that, how about staff all position coaches with proven college experience, done that, or maybe find a field goal kicker to help with kicking, done that....Again I'm repeating all my points and getting nothing in return except the same ole, look at his record. I agree the record sucks but again, changes have been made each year to improve. Let him go, he will be fine, North Texas on the other hand will still be riding the same roller coaster....

P.S. - you gotta like and agree with the changes made over the last three years right? if not why?

The next HC here is yet to be known but just about anybody that will come here will be a far upgrade compared to TD. As far as your roller coaster analogy...we already know the TD roller coaster sucks. But if we keep on accepting suckyness then we have a deeper problem here at NT so we might as well try another roller coaster because it sure as hell can't be worse than the one we have now.

What changes are you referring too the last three years? If you are referring to the coordinators then that is not a good point because TD shouldn't have brought his SLC staff here in the first place. And after the first season all of his HS staff should have gotten the boot but no TD's ego didn't allow him to do that. The man has done nothing to produce on the field and frankly that is all that matters. You have to be able to produce in your job. And separating your job to TD doesn't work because people change jobs all the time and if you're a good manager and you lose key members of your team then you will find somebody to replace that person who will be competent and perform at his job.

Your points hold no water because all you're doing is putting some lipstick and some perfume on a smelly, ugly pig.

• Upvote 2

Stebo,

I think the CEO is RV here. TD is the highest executive. Just sayin.

I thought about that - but the Athletic Department is the parent group and the Football Program is the company. Todd Dodge is the CEO of the football team, making all decisions regarding the personel (both players and coaches). At least that is the way that I see it. The parent company will demand the CEO to step down. You could even call him the COO - but I would give that title to the Asst Head Coach (and we don't have one of those)... That was my line of thought.

steve

i have a clear understanding who I'm debating with.

Really? You haven't made an argument yet. The obvious facts overwhelm your opinion.

Dickey did more in his last season and half than Dodge has done with his 3.5 seasons.

Dodge is proven loser and I'm sorry you can't see past your personal blinders. UNT has a pretty good debate team, maybe your kid can join that so you can learn what a argument is.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Do you really understand how good this team was set to be? NO YOU DON'T GET IT. no one will because this team didn't get a chance to prove it on the field due to the freaking injuries. Big difference in my job and a coaching job. I'm not judged by people not in my profession and who have never coached in their life or much less even played the freaking game of football. What would be your next move as a head coach at north texas. Pleae give us some examples. Maybe bring in a proven OC, done that, maybe bring in a proven college DC, done that, how about staff all position coaches with proven college experience, done that, or maybe find a field goal kicker to help with kicking, done that....Again I'm repeating all my points and getting nothing in return except the same ole, look at his record. I agree the record sucks but again, changes have been made each year to improve. Let him go, he will be fine, North Texas on the other hand will still be riding the same roller coaster....

P.S. - you gotta like and agree with the changes made over the last three years right? if not why?

I run a team at work. I am a manager and am in charge of that team. Sometimes people go out on FMLA for various reasons. They are sick - or they get pregnant - or they get in a car accident - or whatever. It is my job to make sure that I have enough people working for me and that I have a bench so deep that I can handle any adversity. Sure - you have tip performers on your team. But the other players should be competent and able to perform the job. The results of last week's game shows that we do have a competent team and they can win. Coaching will get them through this weak spot. They can still win and Dodge can still show why he was hired. The same business priciples apply to the football program. But you are ranting like it is over - it is not over. There is not one single team left on the schedule that we cannot beat. Want Dodge to save his job? Go out there and win some football games! There are plenty of games left! If not, this is a business and the CEO is responsible for the ship that is going down. There is not a SINGLE coach in the history of North Texas (don't just go back to Fry - go back to the start of the program) - but there is not a single coach EVER at North Texas that has failed this much to win games. It is not personal, it is just business. I think that people start to confuse that "family" feeling with business. We feel like a family at work - but when it comes down to it, sometimes I have to fire a family member. It's not personal - its just business.

• Upvote 1

Do you realize that our injuries to this date do not stack up to what ASU went thru last year ? Injuries are apart of the game , just like penalties & just like poor clock management .

I bet there is not 1 team across the nation from High School to the NFL who would say they are 100% healthy. Does it suck for TD ? Yes of course , I feel bad for the guy.

Even with the injuries we still had more talent than Rice ( who had 3 starters out ) UL ( who had 3 starters out , including Green) & arguably ASU yet we still went 0 - 3

Geez, I heard that by ASU posters on the Belt Board, it simply is not close to being true. I looked at the starting lineup for their first game and their last game for 2009. There were two players that started the first game that did not play in the last. I can't see any circumstances were their injuries situation could even be close to what NT has went through and we are only half way through the season.

Edited by GrandGreen

Geez, I heard that by ASU posters on the Belt Board, it simply is not close to being true. I looked at the starting lineup for their first game and their last. There were two players that started the first game that did not play in the last. I can't see any circumstances were their injuries situation could even be close to what NT has went through and we are only half way through the season.

Based on my memory they lost 4 starters before the season even started.

Don't take my word for it , take Todd Dodge's who said ASU had more injuries last year than we have had this year

Edited by NT03
  • Downvote 1

Really? You haven't made an argument yet. The obvious facts overwhelm your opinion.

Dickey did more in his last season and half than Dodge has done with his 3.5 seasons.

Dodge is proven loser and I'm sorry you can't see past your personal blinders. UNT has a pretty good debate team, maybe your kid can join that so you can learn what a argument is.

These are the facts:

1. Brought in a proven college DC

2. Brought in proven college position coaches

3. Brought in a college strength coach just for football team

4. Brought in a proven OC

5. Gave up offense completely

6. Recruited a nationally ranked kicker

Debate what? Facts or facts

the only fact you hang you hat on is the past. I say the present would have changed due to the healthy team we started the season with. there is not one Sun Belt team who could beat us if you take the same player for player, positon for position off the field. Again, i fully understand now who I'm wasting my time with. By the way, isn't it time for bed?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

Totally agree with all the past years, the last three years, terrible, no reason why it should have been that bad, totally agree. now, look at the freaking changes that have been made over those years. All the right things have been done to correct the problem. program is better now, team was prepped to show you how much better it was. so now look at the program today. Dickey won 2 games one year and 3 the other during his last two years of coaching at North Texas. dodge walked into a system which was already losing. I agree with someone elses post, there were some great players on those teams. To me it's simple, I look at where the program is today, not at the bad years getting here but where it is today and all the changes made to get it here.

I thank you have some valid points. Dodge is undoubtedly a much better coach than he was four years ago, and there is a good chance he might be better than the next NT coach. The problem is one of performance and perception. He has not shown he can win and the overwhelming perception among fans, the general public and recruits is that he can't coach at this level. The fact is that Dodge at this point is an albatross to the NT program. Unless he has a miracle finish, he is just not marketable to fans or recruits. Yes, there are a few that value character over wins but not enough to sell out one section of the new stadium. There are some real asses that are successful coaches because they win, but I can't think of any FB division college football coach that has had a long losing career because he is a great guy.

• Upvote 2

These are the facts:

1. Brought in a proven college DC

2. Brought in proven college position coaches

3. Brought in a college strength coach just for football team

4. Brought in a proven OC

5. Gave up offense completely

6. Recruited a nationally ranked kicker

Debate what? Facts or facts

So we did all of the above and yet we STILL can't win.

• Upvote 2