It's All About The Injuries

James Mosley

Unfortunately, Coach Dodge is going to leave this team in a huge QB vacuum when he leaves this year. His failure to recruit but one QB over the last 2 years is a killer problem for whomever the new coach may be.

I love me some Derrick Thompson, but there is absolutely no one behind him at the QB position next year. Who would have thought when TD first arrived that one of his biggest failures as a head coach would be the inability to recruit a true FBS QB?

Love Derrick, but it's not like Big 6 schools were beating down his door.

Unfortunately, Coach Dodge is going to leave this team in a huge QB vacuum when he leaves this year. His failure to recruit but one QB over the last 2 years is a killer problem for whomever the new coach may be.

I love me some Derrick Thompson, but there is absolutely no one behind him at the QB position next year. Who would have thought when TD first arrived that one of his biggest failures as a head coach would be the inability to recruit a true FBS QB?

Love Derrick, but it's not like Big 6 schools were beating down his door.

It's the sunbelt. With some decent coaching, we'll be fine.

It's definitely not all about the injuries. They have played a part in how poorly this team has fared but there are too many gaffes from poor coaching to warrant continuing this madness another year.

This team (and Dodge's previous teams) simply do not know how to win. They blow leads and get penalties at the most inopportune times. They say that their goal is to win the turnover battle but we've seen little, if any, effort to force turnovers. Momentum never seems to work for them. The team is too undisciplined.

I have real concerns about the playing time for some players and lack of it for others but I don't really want to air that beef in public. The season is lost anyway so why not see how some of the backups function under game conditions?

• Upvote 1

the only fact you hang you hat on is the past.

You mean empirical evidence?

Dodge's failures are his own. He brought in a inexperience staff and it failed. He's made some changes, but he still hasn't won.

He's brought in his recruits and still can't win. Injuries are part of the game, but I'm starting to think the amount of injuries we have indicate a coaching/conditioning problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Based on my memory they lost 4 starters before the season even started.

Don't take my word for it , take Todd Dodge's who said ASU had more injuries last year than we have had this year

I guess I missed that quote, although I have heard Dodge state that he has not seen anything like the injury problems NT has suffered this year. ASU posters make the same claims, I took time to look through their game recaps, have you? I think the fact that 20 of their 22 starters in the first game played in the last game including their first two qbs makes it almost impossible that they had close to the injury issue as NT. From a technical standpoint I am not you can lose a starter when the player in question never started. Yes, NT lost a couple of projected starters before the season begin also, but I think Dodge would be delighted to have 20 of the 22 starters that played against Clemson available for Kansas State.

No one knows what NT's record would be without the abnormal injuries but to suggest it is something teams routinely go through without dire effects is foolish.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You mean empirical evidence?

Dodge's failures are his own. He brought in a inexperience staff and it failed. He's made some changes, but he still hasn't won.

He's brought in his recruits and still can't win. Injuries are part of the game, but I'm starting to think the amount of injuries we have indicate a coaching/conditioning problem.

He ARROGANTLY brought in a bunch of inexperienced high school coaches and it has cost us dearly. IMO, his SLC success inflated ego thought that little ole NT could easily be turned into SLC North, and I also believe that RV has to take some blame for this. RV should have stood on a bitching post and put a stop to that crap by the end of year one. Nothing against TD on a personal level, but he came into this thing on a very high horse, and he didn't adjust in a timely manner to the fact that he wasn't equipped for the job in the first place. Sad situation that we have been left with.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think it was Dodge's arrogance. It was more he and his guys wanted to show they belonged in college and I just don't think they guy could get experienced college coaches to come work for him. But either ways its one of Dodge's failings and he (and his supporters) have to own that.

• Upvote 2

I appreciate your loyalty to Coach Dodge and your son's commitment to UNT, but I can't share your belief that this team is a "proven" winner robbed of those wins by injuries. We didn't hire Dodge just because he's a good representative of the program and appears to have good character. He was hired because he won ballgames. He hasn't done that here. He's never won as many games as Dickey did in the season that got him fired (3).

I'd prefer that the next crop of Micah Mosleys who enroll at UNT have the chance to experience some on-field success instead of year after year of Bottom 10 failure. Your son and the other players currently at UNT deserved better than four years of misery while Dodge learned on the job. Hiring a high school coach as head coach of a college is a colossal mistake that ought to never be repeated.

I'm ready to see Dodge fired and a well-known coach with a proven history of wins open up the new stadium.

• Upvote 1

Not worth rehashing this stuff again, beyond saying that if Todd Dodge wants the coaching equivalent of a Medical Redshirt so that he can get a 5th year, we ought to handle it exactly the same way he handled the same request from Joe Miller.

You know... The classy way. It'll make Dodge an even better husband and father.

• Upvote 3

Not worth rehashing this stuff again, beyond saying that if Todd Dodge wants the coaching equivalent of a Medical Redshirt so that he can get a 5th year, we ought to handle it exactly the same way he handled the same request from Joe Miller.

You know... The classy way. It'll make Dodge an even better husband and father.

Ugh, I'd hate to see this actually happen.