The Unt Big Question Series, Game 5

All About UNT

Bleacher Report

"(For what it is worth, UNT for their part also has somewhat misleading stats. The Mean Green is averaging a Sun Belt worst 15.5 point a game. If you likewise allow them a mulligan for the Army game - where their offensive coaches didn't show for the game - UNT has a more respectable 20 point a game average.)"

Edited by All About UNT

Who is now UNT's designated #2 QB if you know what happens to Riley? I am not going to use the "i" word here.

Thru the years, DB's have been a source for QB's at major universities. First one I can think of was when Darrell K. Royal converted Allan Lowry from DB to become a winning UT QB. We had a very famous #11 on our team that I think many were recruiting as a DB as I recall.

Any DB's at UNT presently with HS QB experience?

GMG!

If UNT can be the running team they think they can be, they should be able to run on the Ragin' Cajuns well enough to win. (If UNT doesn't play close to that level, ULL could stuff UNT's running game as ULL did Arkansas State's running game, forcing UNT to put Riley Dodge at risk trying to pass UNT to victory. That gets back to the idea that UNT has to improve.)

Good stuff.

• Upvote 2

Who is now UNT's designated #2 QB if you know what happens to Riley? I am not going to use the "i" word here.

Thru the years, DB's have been a source for QB's at major universities. First one I can think of was when Darrell K. Royal converted Allan Lowry from DB to become a winning UT QB. We had a very famous #11 on our team that I think many were recruiting as a DB as I recall.

Any DB's at UNT presently with HS QB experience?

GMG!

I would think that Blaine and Teegarden would be the obvious back-ups.

Bleacher Report

"(For what it is worth, UNT for their part also has somewhat misleading stats. The Mean Green is averaging a Sun Belt worst 15.5 point a game. If you likewise allow them a mulligan for the Army game - where their offensive coaches didn't show for the game - UNT has a more respectable 20 point a game average.)"

so you want to take out the low.

What if you take out the high?

Hmmm. Works out to 15.5 p[g.

so you want to take out the low.

What if you take out the high?

Hmmm. Works out to 15.5 p[g.

I think he is treating the Army game as a statistical aberration...

The high game wouldn't be considered an aberration so it wouldn't need to be thrown out in order to paint the picture of the statistical norm...

Not sure I agree with it, but it is one way to spin stats...

Cook had a year of QB in HS but he's out for the year. Hamilton, Carey, and Taylor were high school quarterbacks. But, other than an occasional wildcat play I'd prefer not to see any on a regular basis. Do we know that Baine can't be the backup?

According to the game notes (p. 21), Chase Baine is the backup.

According to the game notes (p. 21), Chase Baine is the backup.

Dodge said during the FAU pregame that if Riley went down we would go to a wildcat formation the rest of the game. Don't know if that has changed or if it's still the plan. I would have to think if it were late in the game and it was 3rd and long we would at least give Baine a shot to throw it down the field

In talking with Co-workers today (which if they are UNT alum and aren't going to the game...I let em have it) someone brought up today that now that Riley is back in that someone (i.e. ULL) will be attempting to nail him down. Moreso they mentioned that every team will be either trying to pick the passes (an ethical defense) or even go as far as try to injure him (an unethical yet practical defensive play). This in combination with what was brought up in the discussion on the PodCast tonight.....makes me worry. I do not want to see Riley get taken out...as this team cannot take 3 QBs out in one year (not to mention how Riley would feel). I cannot recall a time that a team suffered from 3 QBs being taken out in one year for one team. As long as Riley continues to slide during his keepers....and the O-line can step up to protect (not nearly as great as they were last year)...then we can hold fast.

hold+fast.jpg

Hamilton looks the part of a QB when he plays wildcat. How was he as a passer in high school?

Here are his senior year stats as a QB at Cedar Hill:

Rushing

Statistics Att Yds Avg TD

2007 (Sr.) 247 1,921 7.8 22

Passing

Statistics PA PC Pct Yds TD Int

2007 (Sr.) 136 76 55.9 1,021 12 5

Edited by Green59

I cannot recall a time that a team suffered from 3 QBs being taken out in one year for one team.

In Dennis Dixon's senior year at Oregon they lost their top 3 quarterbacks for the season...

After Dixon went down they lost the backup in the next game... Ryan Leaf's brother took over and he was lost in the last game heading into the Sun Bowl...

Justin Roper, a redshirt freshman started his first ever collegiate game and lead the Ducks to a 56-21 win over South Florida, throwing 4 touchdown passes...

And this prompted possibly the greatest quote in college football history...

After the game USF coach Jim Leavitt accused Oregon coach Mike Bellotti of running up the score...

Bellotti's response? (priceless) "What did he want me to do, put in the 4th string quarterback? That was the guy I started the game with!"

..and the O-line can step up to protect (not nearly as great as they were last year)...then we can hold fast.

Not that I disagree, but I do think an O line statbook's best friend is a QB that can run. With everyone healthy and if rhey were playing better than last year, we would very likely allow for more sacks/TFL than last year