With The 6Th Loss.....make The Change

SUMG

Dodge was told he had to win 7....so with the 6th loss....RV should then make the move. Reassign TD or whatever.

Do that....so that the search for the new coach can begin IMMEDIATELY.

I suspect our 6th loss will be 3 weeks from today. As sadly, I don't see this team winning another game. Maybe they will....but with injuries, and the overall lackluster play....I don't see it.

Anyway, if we lose the next three....the search could begin on Monday October 11.

And we might have a new coach in place by the end of the season.

The new coach could then possibly salvage some of this recruiting season....one in which we need to sign lots of good players.

And one more thing: Please UNT...spend the dough and bring in a proven guy. At this point, we don't need any more f'ing experiments.

So no hotshot OC from some place...or whatever. There are lots of name coaches available.....hire one.

I pretty much agree with every word of this.
  • Upvote 2

Dodge was told he had to win 7....so with the 6th loss....RV should then make the move. Reassign TD or whatever.

I suspect our 6th loss will be 3 weeks from today. As sadly, I don't see this team winning another game. Maybe they will....but with injuries, and the overall lackluster play....I don't see it.

Anyway, if we lose the next three....the search could begin on Monday October 11.

The new coach could then possibly salvage some of this recruiting season....one in which we need to sign lots of good players.

And one more thing: Please UNT...spend the dough and bring in a proven guy. At this point, we don't need any more f'ing experiments.

So no hotshot OC from some place...or whatever. There are lots of name coaches available.....hire one.

SUMG...I think the search is already on but behind closed doors. I think RV has been anticipating this day for a while now but he gave Dodge one last shot to see if he could salvage anything. After loss number 6, it will just be formally assumed that Dodge isn't coming back . But I really think RV is already searching for the next HC and it really wouldn't be surprising if he is close to having the next coach ready but is on standby.

I think you are just wasting time. Now, we have to be MTSU, Troy, or Kansas State. We will not come within 24 points of either of them.

Pull the plug now. Let's bring a head coach who knows what he is doing and has a crap ton of time to recruit.

There is no rush on firing Dodge, the hiring season does not start for two months or so.

And John you can bet RV is already looking or he is not doing job.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think its inevitable now. If there's a coach on the staff that RV feels has a shot to be the HC. Get him in as soon as possible and see what he can do.

Why wait?

If it's Canales, give him 9 games.

If he doesn't work, start over next year. If he provides a spark and the team buys in, maybe we discover something.

Nothing to lose this season at this point.

• Upvote 2

I think its inevitable now. If there's a coach on the staff that RV feels has a shot to be the HC. Get him in as soon as possible and see what he can do.

Why wait?

If he doesn't work, start over next year. If he provides a spark and the team buys in, maybe we discover something.

Agreed.... Give it To Canales

The guy has won 5 games in 39 tries , 3 of which are vs wKu. There is no reason to believe that he will now all of sudden win 7 of the next 9 games. Do it now , do it before conference starts. If Chico can motivate this team then let's see what he has. All the players , coaches & all the fans already now what is going to happen so just go ahead and pull the plug.

Edited by NT03

If TD was told he had to win 7....and you fire him before he gets that chance to win 7:

I think that could really hurt us amongst Texas high school coaches. TD is one of their own. If it wasn't for that....I'd say go ahead and make the move. That's my main reason for doing it after loss #6.

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 3

If TD was told he had to win 7....and you fire him before he gets that chance to win 7:

I think that could really hurt us amongst Texas high school coaches. TD is one of their own. If it wasn't for that....I'd say go ahead and make the move. That's my main reason for doing it after loss #6.

True & Agree.

I guess RV wishes he never said 7 games publicly now so he could just go ahead and do what is needed

Agree again.

We said the guy had a chance to win 7 games to save his job, and he's still got enough chances to make it happen. Unless he decides to resign, you've got to give him through loss #6 to try and do it.

The 7 win ultimatum is what kept the torches and pitchforks at bay in the offseason. But when you set the bar, you have to let the guy try to clear it.

True & Agree.

I guess RV wishes he never said 7 games publicly now so he could just go ahead and do what is needed

It really does not matter in all reality at this point RV has no choice but to clean house completely, and Canales can't be here after the hammer falls either. We absolutely have to get a new coach with a name that can excite the fan-base, and let him put together his own staff. So whether Canales becomes interim coach or not, he won't be here next year. Well assuming we don't get 7 wins and I am willing to take that bet now.

• Upvote 1

I have heard high school coaches hate him.

Dodge was bombing away on opposition late in the 4th even when Carrol was up 56-7.

Surely they can't all be lovey-dovey over him?

Which is it?

I'm sure there are some who hate him. Success makes enemies. But I have read quotes from high school coaches all over the state who think the world of Coach Dodge.

Agree - from a PR standpoint, RV should stick with what he told Dodge, however many wins it was. I do think they should clean house though. Let the new coach bring in and hire whomever he chooses.

Let's not spend so much money on a high profile head football coach that we won't be able to keep JJ if he gets an offer from another school.

I agree, but that's not a position that's going to get much support.

And, odds are pretty high that if JJ gets a viable (i.e.: one we can't match) offer after this season, it's a BCS caliber offer and not just another mid-major transfer.

As long as we keep enough cash in the till to avoid losing JJ to another non-power conference (BCS + A-10) school, go ahead and almost break the bank on a football coach.

The Canales that just coached the offense to the first shutout loss since 2006?

No thanks.

Circumstances were: 7 Offensive Starters out in first 3 Games. Now lets get specific:

QB #1 & 2 Out for Season

Center #1 & 2 Out for Season

Multiple Receivers out for year.

Head Coach Rumors all week about him getting fired. Hard for a team to stay focused when they know it is coming. Playing on the road.

Not Excuses, those are just facts.

I have heard high school coaches hate him.

Dodge was bombing away on opposition late in the 4th even when Carrol was up 56-7.

Surely they can't all be lovey-dovey over him?

Which is it?

I haven't done a survey....but if I had to guess...I'd say TD is probably like most all of us: Some fellow coaches probably love him....and some probably hate him. I would bet you that he still has lots of friends in the h.s. coaching community.

So why risk ruining future relations with those friends of his?

And finally...have you guys ever heard of "being a man of your word?" If RV told Todd that he had to win 7 games out of 12....and he fires him after three games....he's not being a man of his word. And don't think that kind of crap couldn't hurt us in a coaching search. Some people wouldn't want to work with an AD they can't believe.

• Upvote 1

Why wait?

There is something to lose at this point.....the fan base.

The sixth loss will surely come soon enough, an announcement can be made, and the job opening can then be posted. Let Coach Dodge finish the remainder of this season while the new coach is being found.

It would be very hard to make offers to potential replacements if North Texas needs to wait until the end of the season to see how an interim coach performs. Likewise, considering recent futility, it would be incredibly difficult to interest the public by permanently promoting anyone from within this staff to head coach. The fans need to see that there is actual change, something promising marked success, not just possible improvement from existing components.

I am not saying that we do not have quality assistant coaches, we do. What I am saying is that their chances of being retained should be in the hands of the new coach.

Let Coach Dodge finish the remainder of this season while the new coach is being found.

This, I don't agree with. I really, REALLY think that if/when a change gets made, it should be immediate and we should name an interim coach to finish out the year.

• Upvote 2