Predictable Reaction

GrandGreen

Amazing, if the score had been NT 33 Rice 32: the sky would be sunny and most would be lauding the turnaround. Now very predictably, many want the instant firing of Dodge, although that would almost surely destroy any chance for a descent season. NT made far too many mistakes to even be close last night, yet they continued to play very hard and actually should have won. Too familiar a story for most, however the season is for from over.

Many posters on here seem to think that RV is a great AD. If you have that much confidence: why not let him handle the coaching situation.

I don't know if all are aware that NT was playing with 3 of 5 originally starting offensive linemen on the side line last night, J. Jackson playing with a just separated shoulder, and Casey still suffering from his hand injury. Tune had also been knocked out of the game earlier. That is a lot to overcome for a team that started out with good depth but that has changed quickly. Even with the awful special team play and the many injuries; the team never gave up to the their credit. I know any semi-positive response is going to be met with this is the type o,f low expectations that is holding the team back, mantra. However, I like the desire and effort I've seen in the first two games and NT does have some talent. Is this team good enough to challenge for the Belt title, a for more meaningful goal than 7 wins? The mounting injuries are reducing the odds, but there is still time to improve enough to win the Belt.

NT did not play well enough to beat Rice, however it is way to early to give up on this team.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Amazing, if the score had been NT 33 Rice 32: the sky would be sunny and most would be lauding the turnaround. Now very predictably, many want the instant firing of Dodge, although that would almost surely destroy any chance for a descent season. NT made far too many mistakes to even be close last night, yet they continued to play very hard and actually should have won. Too familiar a story for most, however the season is for from over.

Many posters on here seem to think that RV is a great AD. If you have that much confidence: why not let him handle the coaching situation.

I don't know if all are aware that NT was playing with 3 of 5 originally starting offensive linemen on the side line last night, J. Jackson playing with a just separated shoulder, and Casey still suffering from his hand injury. Tune had also been knocked out of the game earlier. That is a lot to overcome for a team that started out with good depth but that has changed quickly. Even with the awful special team play and the many injuries; the team never gave up to the their credit. I know any semi-positive response is going to be met with this is the type o,f low expectations that is holding the team back, mantra. However, I like the desire and effort I've seen in the first two games and NT does have some talent. Is this team good enough to challenge for the Belt title, a for more meaningful goal than 7 wins? The mounting injuries are reducing the odds, but there is still time to improve enough to win the Belt.

NT did not play well enough to beat Rice, however it is way to early to give up on this team.

+1

Not only yes, but hell yes.

I turned on football today and felt some embarrassment for the Mean Green sucking it up lastnight. Then during a conversation with my wife I learned that earlier this summer she had a 14yo patient that came into the ER with an old spice bottle stuck up his keester. THAT is embarassing. I instantly felt better. So keep that 14yo old spice boy in your mind while thinking about Chico and TD. It helps me.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think the reason people are upset is because we lost ANOTHER close game. If we had pulled out the win last night people, including me, would believe that Dodge has finally convinced these guys that they CAN win. We proved that we have the talent to win, but at this point, it is becoming apparent that there is a bigger problem. We are not losing half, or even a slight majority of these close games, we are losing ALL of them.

Don't get me wrong, I am not jumping ship at all, but I am very, very worried that this coaching staff is incapable of fostering a culture of winning. It is not a coincidence that none of these close games go our way. I used to think that, but year after year this happens. YES, we do not get blown out very often anymore, but these close games have revealed a deeper and more serious problem.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

I disagree. Even if we had won, the special teams were so bad for a fourth consecutive year that the many of us see the writing on the wall. This team will lose several games again this year because of special teams. What I saw was an offense and defense that was MUCH better than Rice but we repeatedly gave them good or great field position. If our special teams played at just an average level this team wins 7+ ball games this year easy. I just can't believe Dodge and company haven't sorted out special teams after 4 years.

This is the best talent we will have on the field for at least another 3 years. This year was our and Dodge's best chance at a respectible year.

+1

Not only yes, but hell yes.

I turned on football today and felt some embarrassment for the Mean Green sucking it up lastnight. Then during a conversation with my wife I learned that earlier this summer she had a 14yo patient that came into the ER with an old spice bottle stuck up his keester. THAT is embarassing. I instantly felt better. So keep that 14yo old spice boy in your mind while thinking about Chico and TD. It helps me.

I'm not 14sad.gif

3 reasons for the loss

1-UNT Special Teams were dismal & Rice Special Teams were very good.

2-Turnovers in first half

3-Wildcat plays run at the wrong time and poorly (DROP THE WILDCAT)

Offense and Defense played well enough to beat Rice even with dropped passes, injuries and blown coverages, which happen in every game at every school. Did you notice that the 2nd string Rice QB played better than their 1st string.

We weren't going to win this game. We rely to much on players we want to be play makers but are not.

Dodge needs to stay a receiver.

The line needs to protect more.

Special teams needs to realize that "Special" does not mean they need to make dumb plays.

And if everyone is saying that our team is beat up with injuries. ITS THE SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON

FIRE the strength and condition coach.

Nothing positive came from this game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'd have to disagree. I understand where you are coming from, but I think if the score was reversed many would be saying that we got lucky with our level of play and with the missed plays by Rice. We would be saying there is no way in hell we are going to squeek another one out like that and that Todd Dodge better get his crew coaching and playin better in order to win 6 more. Now, even with a close game, we are saying we see the same thing as last year (close games with poor coaching and execution). I'm not pissed and certainly love the MEAN GREEN FIGHTING EAGLES. I just think that we need a new coach to lead us in the right direction. I think plummer said that we should wait until we get a corporate sponsor for the new stadium to afford more coach. I can get behind that.

I think the reason you say everyone is having a predictable reaction is that it was a predictable game with predictable coaching and playing. For that, you will get a predictable reaction. We need a new coach that will get more out of the players he has and recruit big strong mean dudes. GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

We weren't going to win this game. We rely to much on players we want to be play makers but are not.

Dodge needs to stay a receiver.

The line needs to protect more.

Special teams needs to realize that "Special" does not mean they need to make dumb plays.

And if everyone is saying that our team is beat up with injuries. ITS THE SECOND GAME OF THE SEASON

FIRE the strength and condition coach.

Nothing positive came from this game.

"Gloom, despair and agony on me-e!

Deep dark depression, excessive misery-y!

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all!

Gloom, despair and agony on me-e-e!"

Amazing, if the score had been NT 33 Rice 32: the sky would be sunny and most would be lauding the turnaround.

This isn't a 4 year old girls soccer league. It comes down to wins and losses. And to be honest had NT pulled it out miraculously in the last drive with a FG or something, I would still be questioning the discipline of this team. This team is NOT well coached.

I'd have to disagree. I understand where you are coming from, but I think if the score was reversed many would be saying that we got lucky with our level of play and with the missed plays by Rice. We would be saying there is no way in hell we are going to squeek another one out like that and that Todd Dodge better get his crew coaching and playin better in order to win 6 more. Now, even with a close game, we are saying we see the same thing as last year (close games with poor coaching and execution). I'm not pissed and certainly love the MEAN GREEN FIGHTING EAGLES. I just think that we need a new coach to lead us in the right direction. I think plummer said that we should wait until we get a corporate sponsor for the new stadium to afford more coach. I can get behind that.

I think the reason you say everyone is having a predictable reaction is that it was a predictable game with predictable coaching and playing. For that, you will get a predictable reaction. We need a new coach that will get more out of the players he has and recruit big strong mean dudes. GO MEAN GREEN!

There are always going to be a few that complain no matter what, but the vast majority would have been elated after an one point win no matter how sloppy the game. Please think this through; NT loses to Clemson big and most are happy because of the effort and ability to move the ball; next game, NT loses to what most think of as an about equal team by one point and all is lost, fire the coach. Don't you just see a little irony there? In truth at this point, no one knows how good either Clemson or Rice is. Rice's defense actually looked better than Clemson's for most of the game.

As far as the coach, I don't think you are going to find many that now think Dodge was a good hire. He obviously was not ready for the job, but that is old news; all that matters now is how this team performs this year. They are off to a bad start not so much because of the loses but the injuries. Thus far NT has gotten beaten because of mistakes and as disheartening as that is; IMO it is much better than getting plowed over by teams that it is apparent NT doesn't belong on the same field as. Dodge is a much better coach than three years ago, but is he good enough to save his job? The odds are definitely against him, but he is going to get a chance to succeed. I would like for someone to explain to me, how firing Dodge now would in anyway benefit the program. Does anyone really think that NT has an assistant that is going to improve the program or can hire a coach to come in during the season? Dodge will be terminated unless there are significant improvements; that decision has already been announced. So other than for venting frustrations, what purpose does post like the above serve? Do you really think Dodge or RV need the fan base to point out that Dodge better get his crew to coaching and playing and win at least six games?

I am really disappointed for our players and coaches today. I know they played and coached their hearts out last night in an attempt to bring a win to the Mean Green nation. I, for one, thought they had it when they went up in the 4th quarter, but it simply was not to be. Big loss was when Nathan went down with the dislocated hip. man, that had to hurt.

Yes, it is early in the season, but I do hope this "so very close" loss doesn't have a negative impact on the morale of this team. These guys played from the first to last whistle. Were mistakes made? ABSOLUTELY...especiall on special teams. For the life of mer, I cannot understand why the Mean green does not have a FULL time special teams coach. It is an obvious area of need. How does a team keep making the same mistakes on special teams over and over again?

This loss will pass, and hopefully, when the Mean green take on and eat Army next week, everyone Will feel so very much better...mostly for the guys and coaches as they must feel very badly about this loss.

I was very proud of the crowd and the spirit of that crowd last night. hats off to the students for showing up and STAYING! Sure looked great from across the way last night...well done.

Let's keep the faith and be in the stands for the next home game!

Go Mean green.. I'll be there and as proud as always to be a member of the Mean Green Nation. Victory will be so very sweet when it comes...and it will!

There are always going to be a few that complain no matter what, but the vast majority would have been elated after an one point win no matter how sloppy the game. Please think this through; NT loses to Clemson big and most are happy because of the effort and ability to move the ball; next game, NT loses to what most think of as an about equal team by one point and all is lost, fire the coach. Don't you just see a little irony there? In truth at this point, no one knows how good either Clemson or Rice is. Rice's defense actually looked better than Clemson's for most of the game.

As far as the coach, I don't think you are going to find many that now think Dodge was a good hire. He obviously was not ready for the job, but that is old news; all that matters now is how this team performs this year. They are off to a bad start not so much because of the loses but the injuries. Thus far NT has gotten beaten because of mistakes and as disheartening as that is; IMO it is much better than getting plowed over by teams that it is apparent NT doesn't belong on the same field as. Dodge is a much better coach than three years ago, but is he good enough to save his job? The odds are definitely against him, but he is going to get a chance to succeed. I would like for someone to explain to me, how firing Dodge now would in anyway benefit the program. Does anyone really think that NT has an assistant that is going to improve the program or can hire a coach to come in during the season? Dodge will be terminated unless there are significant improvements; that decision has already been announced. So other than for venting frustrations, what purpose does post like the above serve? Do you really think Dodge or RV need the fan base to point out that Dodge better get his crew to coaching and playing and win at least six games?

To answer you last question, obviously YES! :) Rick looked shocked that a fan was calling out the coaches Saturday. Don't get me wrong, I was in the stands the entire game (with my 2 young kids and wife; what a challenge) and will be for the future games too (barring unforseen complications). I think MEAN GREEN NATION needs to keep the pressure on RV (he can take it)so he is sure at the end of the year that we NEED a new coach. A special teams coach and a head coach. I'm still cheering, just upset that we likely don't have a chance. Dodge hasn't given us a chance. Just my opinion.