To: Rick V

EagleGreen

You don't know embarrassment, EagleGreen, you shoulda' been around here in 1981 with a 1 year coach who had 1 win and almost got us on NCAA probation to boot! That was (as Popeye would say) "embarraskin." :)

Prediction: Rick V will not fire Todd Dodge on Monday or the next Monday or the next. If Todd Dodge goes 0 & 5, Rick V will probably still not fire him but rather (silently) start his private search for Coach Dodge's successor knowing how important that hire would be as we are on the eve of having a grand opening for a new football palace being built by the same people who built the Dallas Cowboy's jewel over in Arlington.

Rick V has taken the worst AD job in NCAA D1 and made it a good job. He will probably move on to a more high profile job one day in the future. Yet.......for UNT to be building a new stadium during this national economy (near depression) is short of a miracle. I look for Rick V & Company to find a corporate sponsor in due time that will divvy up UNT's $30 million minimum amount requirement (which is what I saw as the minimum amount in some UNT publication). IMO, our stadium location makes that amount do-able.

Someone already posted it but UNT has been a coaches graveyard except for Fry and Moore (who was only here 2 years). So, if Dodge is terminated, we really need to do the most extensive search for a HFC in our history so we have someone who somebody else wants to hire and FWIW..........that's when you know you've got something. NOTE: Boise State had 5 HFC's in the space of 10 years and did not miss a lick with their football success--that alone is one of the great success stories in NCAA history.

Let Rick V do his thing...he's shown that he can.

GMG!

I like that. Sounds like he could keep dodge around while looking for another coach assuming we get a corporate sponsor. Thataway, we could afford more coach.

Otherwise, I'd have to agree with SteaminWillie:

I prefer an AD that:

1) Actually raises some money and doesn't require a semi-shady UNT loan to complete the AC.

2) Raises money for the stadium, instead of solely depending on a student fee before proceeding.

3) Doesn't hire a low budget high school coach AND ALLOWED him to bring his entire HS staff with him.

4) When said HS coach and staff are failing, doesn't stomp up and down the field showing the displeasure of his hire.

5) Sits up in the box where he belongs

6) Follows up with his promises (quarterly meetings, "blogs", and the such)

I was looking at the donor list and noticed some missing names this year. In fact, looking around section E, I didn't see these "high profile" people either. Struck me odd.

Good stuff!

Rick, I saw you get upset at the end of the game when the fan yelled that our coaches lost the game. You almost lost your cool while starring down the fan. Finally, you just spit on the ground and walked away. Surely, you don't think the players are solely responsible do you. The fan had a valid response, regardless of how he presented it.

Do you realize that Todd Dodge is embarrassing to the Mean Green Nation? He has gone 5-33 at the helm with no end in sight. Please fire Todd on Monday and begin the search for a new coach. Sure, it won't hurt to wait until the end of the season to "evaluate the situation", but showing you are in charge and want to lead this team into a new stadium with hope, real hope, is what the MEAN GREEN NATION needs. Lead us Rick. Give us hope. Fire Todd Dodge on Monday.

Worst post ever. I wish I could use all 5 negative posts just on this one. You do not fire a coach after the second game of the season. Do you recall all the BS we had to deal with in firing DD before the end of the season? We haven't even played a conference game yet. How about you step away from your keyboard and let the ones that are paid to make the decisions make them.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 10

I'm not sure how I missed this incident since I sit in Sec.C, but if it indeed went down like some of you have described, then there is no way I could blame RV for his reaction.

He's probably one of the biggest UNT FANS out there right now. I believe he cares deeply for UNT, the coaches, and the players (on all teams).

First, the game situation was extremely frustrating. Then, you have a loudmouth fan who has every right to say the things he did, but not enough brains to shut up after saying them after the first time. If I were RV, I would get fired up as well.

I love RV! His passion rivals only those of us on this board. Lay off of him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Didn't you just feel that yesterday?

The pressure of that entire afternoon might have been disguised as oppressive heat but there was soooooooo much underlying pressure for the Mean Green to win that game and at the end they revealed exactly who they are. The guys work hard play hard the coaches yell loud and develop the fans show up to support and underneath it all is a big judge and jury waiting for the 000.

UNT had to win this game for:

1. Coach Dodge's future

2. Fanbase support for the rest of 2010

3. CUSA readiness and worthiness

4. RV's decision to hire and bring back TD

5. A fan lowpoint called 77 - 20 around 700 days ago

6. Beautiful pillars and cranes across the stree that must have looked like daggers all game long

It was unbelievable how much pressure there was for so many on 9.11.10. Livelihood and lifelong memories were on the line last night and that is why the end of that game was like driving away from a day of revelation. We supported and witnessed what was the Dodge Era yesterday. We supported this University like never before and will always wish this cast the best.

Last year Ohio mentally ended the 2009 season in the players minds. Rice was not another MAC team rolling into Denton to play a part in this judgement day saga. There was so much more intensity added to the day because it was Rice, and they may have killed the mentality of the 2010 squad.

Either way I will be there watching us fight whatever fight we bring to Westpoint and I will always bleed green. Thank goodness 9.11.10 is over. It was mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting.

GMG

• Upvote 4

The "angry fan" was on the edge of sections C and D around row 15 or 16. He was yelling and RV was on the sideline at about the 20. He turned around and at first I think he was just looking to see where the yelling was coming from. The guy kept yelling that the coaches lost the game not the players etc... RV walked to the railing and kept staring but he looked like he was not happy. A guy on the sideline came over to talk to RV and I assume told him to ignore him and keep his cool( of course I have no way of knowing what was said. I just know that's what I would have told him). It was awkward and tense to say the least. The saddest part is that he was yelling while Nathan was getting taken off on a stretcher. Earlier in the game a Rice player was injured on the field and the cheerleaders started one of their cheers. Several of us in C had to yell at them to stop cheering because a player was hurt and they just looked up at us like they didn't know why we were telling them to stop.

The "angry fan" was on the edge of sections C and D around row 15 or 16. He was yelling and RV was on the sideline at about the 20. He turned around and at first I think he was just looking to see where the yelling was coming from. The guy kept yelling that the coaches lost the game not the players etc... RV walked to the railing and kept staring but he looked like he was not happy. A guy on the sideline came over to talk to RV and I assume told him to ignore him and keep his cool( of course I have no way of knowing what was said. I just know that's what I would have told him). It was awkward and tense to say the least. The saddest part is that he was yelling while Nathan was getting taken off on a stretcher. Earlier in the game a Rice player was injured on the field and the cheerleaders started one of their cheers. Several of us in C had to yell at them to stop cheering because a player was hurt and they just looked up at us like they didn't know why we were telling them to stop.

He sat 5 rows behind me , I didn't hear him yell while Tune was being carted off. If he was I missed it

He sat 5 rows behind me , I didn't hear him yell while Tune was being carted off. If he was I missed it

His yell that incurred RV's wrath was immediately following the end of the game, so it wasn't at the same time Tune was being carted off. However, there was enough stress going on in those last few minutes I can understand how the sequence of events could be interpreted differently by different people. I think there could have been a little more restraint within that fairly narrow time frame of Tune going down, being tended to on the field, carted off the field, and the last play. Just my take on things.

Thats a lie! Tune was long gone off the field. He was already in the ambulance and the doors were closed. I know that for a fact! Be careful what you say.

Not only yes, but hell yes, they even work these fundamentals in the pros. Absolutely this is on the coaches.

These problems should all be fixed in practice and long before now, I have heard for the last several years from parents and others that our practices have not any

where near the intensity of other programs in Texas. Then you watch this crap and it seems to fit. I don't think a well prepared team makes that many mistakes, and we are not young.

Yeah, but try to convince those that lack knowledge and wisdom to discern the truth. For goodness sake people, we are talking three years of coaching and teaching and it has produced what, 3 wins? Lets, blame it on the kids!!! RIGHT!!

How would you like to make over $250,000 a year at your job and not have to produce any results in a time when people are losing their jobs and houses?

Don't dare blame this on the kids. This is all on the coaches. They lack the communication skills, and the knowledge to teach and guide these kids. If we were talking just one year, ok. But after three years and one more Fall camp don't let yourselves be deceived.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

our players were most of the reason that we lost the game. besides 3-5 questionable calls on offense, it was all lack of focus from the players. dropped passes, dropped interceptions, bad tackling, bad special team coverage (which could be because of coaching) and a couple of really stupid penalties all coaches can do is put an emphasis on wrapping up and stayin in your lane, they can't do it for them. i'm not saying the past 3 years have been the players fault, but last night it wasn't the coaching that lost the game.

i wish people would think about what possible recruits are thinking that are in attendance, when they start their verbal assaults on players/coaches. i would think it plays a part in their decision of choosing our school over another.

It comes down to being well coached. Players that fear the hell out of their coach(es) wouldn't make the same dumb plays and penalties for 4 years now. This isn't only about one night either..its about a culmination of 3 and about to be 4 years of the worst football team in college football...and yes I mean FBS and FCS programs.

Dodge and his staff have lost the players now...they may play hard and what not but that is because they have some pride and they want to win but I am convinced that nobody on the team really has the respect for Dodge other than Riley.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 1

Watch what I say? Is that a threat? Take a deep breath and relax. It was a very fluid situation and that is how I remember it. I don't have a problem with what was said but use a better venue. If you want to blast me for that then fine. We will agree to disagree. But If someone has a problem with Coach Dodge then man up and go to the coaches show and talk to him face to face. If you have a problem with RV call him up or send him an email.

Watch what I say? Is that a threat? Take a deep breath and relax. It was a very fluid situation and that is how I remember it. I don't have a problem with what was said but use a better venue. If you want to blast me for that then fine. We will agree to disagree. But If someone has a problem with Coach Dodge then man up and go to the coaches show and talk to him face to face. If you have a problem with RV call him up or send him an email.

Look, I know what I am about to say is wrong. Call it the Obama thing. Shut up!

How would you like to make over $250,000 a year at your job and not have to produce any results in a time when people are losing their jobs and houses?

Don't compare coaching a game to our work-a-day jobs. Do you have 23,000 critics second guessing your every move at your job? Does your job depend on you appeasing 23,000 fans by producing in a game where 1 person succeeds and one person fails? Newsflash - Most of our jobs are not zero-sum scenarios.

There are very few lines that can be drawn between coaching games and working our everyday jobs. The lines that can be drawn have been written about in books, and it usually has to do with motivation. The argument you put forth is never mentioned, and flimsy at best.

The comment about people losing their jobs and houses is real, and a gross over dramatization to attempt to get your point across that it's almost insulting.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't compare coaching a game to our work-a-day jobs. Do you have 23,000 critics second guessing your every move at your job? Does your job depend on you appeasing 23,000 fans by producing in a game where 1 person succeeds and one person fails? Newsflash - Most of our jobs are not zero-sum scenarios.

There are very few lines that can be drawn between coaching games and working our everyday jobs. The lines that can be drawn have been written about in books, and it usually has to do with motivation. The argument you put forth is never mentioned, and flimsy at best.

The comment about people losing their jobs and houses is real, and a gross over dramatization to attempt to get your point across that it's almost insulting.

I'd gladly take $250,000 to do my job where EVERY person I come in contact with has an opinion...and they all know how to do it better. And yes, when I go to work one guy wins and one guy loses by definition. Only sometimes our losses are permanent. Oh yeah, and any misstep at my job is met by as much if not more media coverage. Nobody ever did my job for four years and got coddled when they didn't produce.

So yeah, where do I sign up for that job exchange program?

• Upvote 2

I think Head Coach and CEO are perhaps the best comparison you can try to make.

I'd guess because the guy was yelling while Nathan Tune was being golf carted off the field probably angered Rick V more than the coach critism part. Heck, Rick V has heard plenty of coaching critiques from all us, uh "college football experts." :rolleyes:

GMG!

PS: Then it may have been the heat'idity for Rick V. I caught myself in my own catatonic staring sorta' trance at one point of the game because I was so gol' darned hot with no breeze most of the game. I hope I didn't offend anyone that may have actually thought I was staring at them.

I'd gladly take $250,000 to do my job where EVERY person I come in contact with has an opinion...and they all know how to do it better. And yes, when I go to work one guy wins and one guy loses by definition. Only sometimes our losses are permanent. Oh yeah, and any misstep at my job is met by as much if not more media coverage. Nobody ever did my job for four years and got coddled when they didn't produce.

So yeah, where do I sign up for that job exchange program?

Emmitt,

I wouldn't compare what you do to a game. But if that's how you treat it, I can't argue with that. At the risk of derailing this thread further, I've always wanted to know how an individuals production is measured in your line of work?

Rick, I saw you get upset at the end of the game when the fan yelled that our coaches lost the game. You almost lost your cool while starring down the fan. Finally, you just spit on the ground and walked away. Surely, you don't think the players are solely responsible do you. The fan had a valid response, regardless of how he presented it.

Do you realize that Todd Dodge is embarrassing to the Mean Green Nation? He has gone 5-33 at the helm with no end in sight. Please fire Todd on Monday and begin the search for a new coach. Sure, it won't hurt to wait until the end of the season to "evaluate the situation", but showing you are in charge and want to lead this team into a new stadium with hope, real hope, is what the MEAN GREEN NATION needs. Lead us Rick. Give us hope. Fire Todd Dodge on Monday.

I couldn't disagree more. Do not listen to this stuff RV. We lost in a tough battle that went down to the wire. The kids played with heart. The coaches did their job, and they care for those kids. We just lost a tough game. I saw a game in which we could have laid down after getting stung early, but we didn't. They battled the whole night until the end. This team will win its share of games this year if they play like they did last night.

• Upvote 1

Oh really? You must be one of those persons making over 250,000 dollars a year, right?

Who the hell is forcing anyone to coach? Can they make that kind of income out there on the job market? Who the hell is pointing a gun to their head telling them they will coach or else? Do you even realize how stupid you sound?

I have to edit this because I want to be sure that you didn't get a degree from UNT.

Edited by meangreenbob