New U Of Houston Facilities Upgrades

All About UNT

I live in Houston and haven't hardly noticed anything Houston has done. Until last season around the Tech win. So, one good season gets them all this attention?

But, this season, there has been a lot of Houston commercials and promotions all over the media. They have stepped it up with their marketing.

That is gonna be a nice stadium in a very very bad part of town. Maybe it will help with rejuvenating that area.

I live in Houston and haven't hardly noticed anything Houston has done. Until last season around the Tech win. So, one good season gets them all this attention?

But, this season, there has been a lot of Houston commercials and promotions all over the media. They have stepped it up with their marketing.

That is gonna be a nice stadium in a very very bad part of town. Maybe it will help with rejuvenating that area.

it does kind of look like a nuclear power plant is situated behind the stadium...hmmm.

It looks like ours, but $42 million dollars more....

It's not far off from ours. The larger price tag I am guessing comes from it is bigger in capacity and the next big thing is probably the cost of the land. Obviously the space in Houston will be more expensive than where ours is so that is probably logically why it is $42 million more.

It looks like ours, but $42 million dollars more....

Jeez, I'd hate to think just 10,000 more seats cost $42 million extra dollars. :no::w00t: Looks like that $42 million will give them a few more whistles and bells, though.

Anyone else get the feeling that in other collegiate outposts across Texas that others knew what North Texas had planned over at the Mean Green Village? :)

When my inheritance, gold mine, publishing clearinghouse sweepstakes win or oil derrick hits black gold UNT will get their 40,000 (insert sublimenal "magic" number for future BCS schools) seat stadium, but until then I guess I have to keep working most weekends in the DJ business so I can pay the bills. Never mentioned it to anyone associated with UNT who I know until now, but my modest retirement, ie, 401K from 25 years in the private tech school business took a similar path (but not as controversial) as the Enron folks coupled with the Wall Street fiasco which affected many Americans. Oh well, stuff happens. :glare:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Glad for UH since Robertson isn't in the best shape. What is the board above the stands on the left side of the first picture. Kind of odd looking. It also appears to have an erector set underside.

Mack Rhodes, their new AD, is known for fundraising and building facilities. That is why they brought him on board from, I believe, Akron.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Glad for UH since Robertson isn't in the best shape. What is the board above the stands on the left side of the first picture. Kind of odd looking. It also appears to have an erector set underside.

Mack Rhodes, their new AD, is known for fundraising and building facilities. That is why they brought him on board from, I believe, Akron.

Wonder how many more renderings will come forth for UH before they actually get a look as to what their football stadium will really look like upon completion?

As Mark Levine on his radio show says: OK, THERE I SAID IT! Albeit I am a bit bias, but I still like UNT's stadium's final rendering much better than the one I see at the top of this page. Looks like their endzone has more seating than their sideline seats. :shocking:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I assume this is a brand new stadium, replacing Robertson, or just a renovation of it? Is this at a new location? That could be some of the extra costs if demolition is involved. It's a little too artsy-looking for me, and I agree it looks like metal bracework instead of all-american concrete! B)

I assume this is a brand new stadium, replacing Robertson, or just a renovation of it? Is this at a new location? That could be some of the extra costs if demolition is involved. It's a little too artsy-looking for me, and I agree it looks like metal bracework instead of all-american concrete! B)

I believe I read on their board they are going to tear down Jepphesson/Robertson Stadium and start from scratch.

When the Houston Oilers started AFL play in 1960 they did it at Jepphesson Stadium aka Robertson Stadium. That stadium used to be the Houston ISD main HS stadium, too. It probably needs to have the same fate as Fouts Field will soon have. :blowup:

Well, well, well.................look whos working hard to keep up with the Mean Green. Even TCU has been forced to upgrade their stadium. And people say they don't pay any attention to whats going on up in Denton. Yeah, sure.

Nice stadium, but I'll take ours any day. Most of those 40,000 seats will look bad sitting there empty on game day.

And very few university's have the beautiful area for tailgating around their stadiums that we will have around ours. The ponds, grass, trees, and view from the rolling hills. Man, game day at the new stadium is going to be something else. Ok, a rolling hill. Ok, a hill.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1

And very few university's have the beautiful area for tailgating around their stadiums that we will have around ours. The ponds, grass, trees, and view from the rolling hills. Man, game day at the new stadium is going to be something else. Ok, a rolling hill. Ok, a hill.

We've seen our upclose stadium renderings, but are there any landscape around the stadium renderings or whatever?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Gagree...don't think they have a lot of space to play with there since everything around it is built out. I am sure they will have some things that add to the aesthetics of the stadium...maybe a fountain or something? Either way we are fortunate to have land space around the stadium and the whole athletic village. This is in the city but regardless....both stadiums will be equal on every end.

Gagree...don't think they have a lot of space to play with there since everything around it is built out. I am sure they will have some things that add to the aesthetics of the stadium...maybe a fountain or something? Either way we are fortunate to have land space around the stadium and the whole athletic village. This is in the city but regardless....both stadiums will be equal on every end.

except for their 12K additional seats :unsure:

Photo of our "hill" with beautiful trees for tailgating (courtesy of UNT 90 Grad)...

DSC_0020

Yeah, they are pretty far off. Just as far as we are really. Who would add them? Only real possibility would be Big East and they are way, way out of the footprint.

Houston is an intriguing school on all fronts. They are in the center of one of the largest cities in the country, top 5 media market, about 35-40k students, and turning around the athletics program in the sports and facilities like the new stadium. Not to mention they were part of the old SWC and have had a history in being good. They would be an attraction for any BCS conference except the maybe Big 12 but who is to say the B12 would never add them at some point? There are only a few schools that are on the cusp of having a chance at a BCS invitation one day and UH is one of them. I would also put TCU and BYU there.

• Upvote 1

Houston is an intriguing school on all fronts. They are in the center of one of the largest cities in the country, top 5 media market, about 35-40k students, and turning around the athletics program in the sports and facilities like the new stadium. Not to mention they were part of the old SWC and have had a history in being good. They would be an attraction for any BCS conference except the maybe Big 12 but who is to say the B12 would never add them at some point? There are only a few schools that are on the cusp of having a chance at a BCS invitation one day and UH is one of them. I would also put TCU and BYU there.

I will almost guarantee you that if Texas, A&M, and Tech end up bolting the Big XII, the north schools will scoop up TCU and UH in a heartbeat so that they can keep the BCS label. That is the only way those two schools will get a move up anytime soon, but it is possible.