Tuesday Practice Notes

Brett Vito

Lance Dunbar said that UNT's players felt like Owls ran up the score.

I love Lance, but I have to disagree with this statement. Their 2nd half scoring included three TDs. Only one of those was an offensive touchdown, scored in the 3rd quarter, quickly followed by 2 pick sixes. There was no scoring in the 4th, their 77 points were all obtained in 3 quarters before Coach Bailiff called off the dogs.

I love Lance, but I have to disagree with this statement. Their 2nd half scoring included three TDs. Only one of those was an offensive touchdown, scored in the 3rd quarter, quickly followed by 2 pick sixes. There was no scoring in the 4th, their 77 points were all obtained in 3 quarters before Coach Bailiff called off the dogs.

Hey, don't confuse me with facts.

Regardless if they were or not , if it gives the players more motivation for Saturday's game let them believe it

• Upvote 4

I would think redeeming the stink from that game would provide more than sufficient motivation without having to make stuff up.

Dude. He said "feel." They FEEL like they ran up the score.

Rice went for a TD at the very end of the half.. to close out scoring 28 points in 7 minutes. Also, they went for and got a 4th down conversion in the second and even went for one in the 4th. I bet that feels like "running up" the score.

Chill out. I don't see that as making up facts.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Plus you don't know what was being said on the field after scoring 77.

I'm sure the Rice players weren't saying, "gosh guys, this has gotten out of hand, we feel terrible."

I don't think I commented on what the Rice players said, and neither did the quote. But it is a simple fact not open to question that Rice did not run up the score. Bailiff was basically apologizing after the game for beating up on us so bad when he had been very classy in not running up the score.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dude. He said "feel." They FEEL like they ran up the score.

Rice went for a TD at the very end of the half.. to close out scoring 28 points in 7 minutes. Also, they went for and got a 4th down conversion in the second and even went for one in the 4th. I bet that feels like "running up" the score.

Chill out. I don't see that as making up facts.

Going for a TD at the end of WHAT half...the first?! ANY team is going to score as many points as they can in the first half. And, you may not be aware of this, but no points are awarded for 4th down conversions.

I don't think I commented on what the Rice players said, and neither did the quote. But it is a simple fact not open to question that Rice did not run up the score. Bailiff was basically apologizing after the game for beating up on us so bad when he had been very classy in not running up the score.

But to SWB's point. They FELT like they ran up the score. Of course the coach said that after the game. But even if he called off the dogs after the 3rd quarter, I'm sure the players weren't asking our players about their majors and what their favorite movie is. That would lead one to FEEL like they ran up the score.

• Upvote 2

But to SWB's point. They FELT like they ran up the score. Of course the coach said that after the game. But even if he called off the dogs after the 3rd quarter, I'm sure the players weren't asking our players about their majors and what their favorite movie is. That would lead one to FEEL like they ran up the score.

I am starting to believe that the Rice game two years ago just might have been the lowest point we reached as a Division 1 team since we moved up in 1995. That is a good thing in that the worst SHOULD be behind us going forward and it is good that the team still remembers how humiliating it was to get beat by almost 60 points to Rice. We have played AQ teams closer than that and got a helluva lot more cash for it. The only problem I have is to say that our team's players FEEL like the score got run up on them. I am sure that to so many of those guys, that day is one that still burns in their hearts for how embarrassing that day was to everyone associated with UNT, so feelings probably aren't being balanced with reality.

I will say this, the worst butt kicking I have ever seen a team take was when in 2003 when Oklahoma beat Texas A&M 77-0. With 10 minutes to go in the 4th quarter it was 77-0 and the 3rd team was playing was for OU. A&M couldn't even cross the 50 on the 3rd string defense and kept turning the ball over. I will never forget how sorry I felt for the Aggies when after a fumble return by OU to about the 5 yard line with about 8 minutes to go, the OU reserve QB knelt down--on 1st down. That looked so bad, though, that Stoops ordered the FB to just go into the fetal position when the QB gave him the ball on the next 3 downs just so they wouldn't score anymore. I thought to myself that a BCS school with A&M's resources and tradition should never get beat so bad that they never crossed midfield during a game while getting less than 100 yards of total offense that day in Norman. I bring all this up because I believe that the Rice-UNT game probably ranks 2nd to me because we are supposed to be competitive with schools like Tulsa, Rice, La Tech, and SMU. Rice easily could have scored 90+ if Bailiff wanted to be a jerk. That UNT team quit that day and it is why I believe that we will look back on that day as the lowest point we reached as a FBS school.

Edited by untjim1995

Just remember...and play like you do. Score early and often and SHUT UP! Time to let the play of the Mean green speak for itself. My concern here is that when UNT goes up on Rice there may be a bit of "unsportsmanlike" talking and gesturing that might just "motivate" Rice and bring some unwanted referee attention to the Mean green. The penalty at Clemson may turn out to be a great lesson and a super coaching opportunity for this week's contest.

Time for some payback by the Mean green, but only on the field and scoreboard. Beat 'em with class!

GO MEAN GREEN!