Blog Wrapup (Ford Done)

Brett Vito

Vito, why would you even think that it was a possibility that Thompson would redshirt? I may have missed something but I don't see a lot of quarterbacks on this team.

Bad news about Ford, at least there should be no doubt he can get a medical redshirt.

Well, since you use three plays in the last game of the season last year to burn one year of eligibility, why would you burn a second in meaningless mop up minutes?

This assumes that Coach Dodge meant what he said when he annoited Tune the starter for the complete year, no if, ands, or buts.

Baine could have come in for the mop up job.

Let's asssume Coach Dodge meant what he said, and Tune stays healthy the whole year. Your only use for Thompson is mop up duty, and you burn 2 years of eligibility for nothing.

But GMG.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think the bigger issue people are missing in this thread is the loss of Ford. This guy was supposed to be the corner opposite Royce Hill that was going to allow DeLoach to blitz more often. If McCord (I think that is the other JUCO corner) can't be that guy, DeLoach may have to go back to the concervative approach he had to take last year.

We need him to feel confident to blitz a little more in order to get pressure on opposing QBs...or this could be a long year.

Losing Ford could be HUGE

Well, since you use three plays in the last game of the season last year to burn one year of eligibility, why would you burn a second in meaningless mop up minutes?

This assumes that Coach Dodge meant what he said when he annoited Tune the starter for the complete year, no if, ands, or buts.

Let's asssume Coach Dodge meant what he said, and Tune stays healthy the whole year. Your only use for Thompson is mop up duty, and you burn 2 years of eligibility for nothing.

But GMG.

Yes, almost every team goes through a season with one true scholarship quarterback. I don't guess you noticed but Dodge burned Thompson's redshirt for one series last year, you really think with his job on the line; he is going to try to go through the year; with a couple of walk ons, his son who has been restricted to limited action and a 177 lb freshman who will probably never play at QB. Obviously you already have an answer, I just find it difficult to believe that anyone thought redshirting Thompson was even an option.

• Upvote 1

Yes, almost every team goes through a season with one true scholarship quarterback. I don't guess you noticed but Dodge burned Thompson's redshirt for one series last year, you really think with his job on the line; he is going to try to go through the year; with a couple of walk ons, his son who has been restricted to limited action and a 177 lb freshman who will probably never play at QB. Obviously you already have an answer, I just find it difficult to believe that anyone thought redshirting Thompson was even an option.

I don't think you get it. If Tune is truely your 1st team QB for the entire season, you keep Thimpson off the field unless there is an injury to Tune. You do it to preserve a year of eligibility so he possibly still has 3 years left next season when Tune graduates. If Tune gets hurt, do you go with Thompson? Absolutely. But why potentially burn a year of eligibility in mop up minutes of a first game blow out? Crrazy, unless you have plans for Thompson later in the year.

And your right, it was one series. I was thinking of the 3 pass plays of that series.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 2

I don't think you get it. If Tune is truely your 1st team QB for the entire season, you keep Thimpson off the field unless there is an injury to Tune. You do it to preserve a year of eligibility so he possibly still has 3 years left next season when Tune graduates. If Tune gets hurt, do you go with Thompson? Absolutely. But why potentially burn a year of eligibility in mop up minutes of a first game blow out? Crrazy, unless you have plans for Thompson later in the year.

And your right, it was one series. I was thinking of the 3 pass plays of that series.

I do not agree with you on this one. There is a really good chance that Thompson is going to be the QB around here for the next two seasons. That would be the case unless some stud recruit comes in and beats him out...not likely.

Due to this fact, you get Thompson in any game you can so he can learn the speed of the game, and get reps against someone other than his own defense. The LAST thing you want to happen is for him to start next season without any additional game experience other than that drive against Ark. St.

Tune is going to be the guy this year...no doubt about it, but Thompson would greatly benefit from some game action.

Too many of you are sadly, to no fault of your own, used to NT throwing QBs to the wolves. This is actually a luxury to be able to get Thompson some time in games when everything is not riding on his shoulders. It will make his transistion to starting QB much easier.

Edited by BIG DAWG
  • Upvote 6

You get him snaps whenever you can. Unlike last year, Thompson IS your #2 QB. He's one missed assignment or bad break from being the starter for the rest of the year. Tune may stay healthy the rest of the year (knock on wood) or Thompson could be needed the second play of the Rice game.

• Upvote 1

You absolutely get Derek in when you can. That benefited him yesterday for in case something were to happen to NT, and more importantly to prepare Thompson for the future.

Rick

Dispectfully disagree that playing the last 2 minutes of this game in any way benefited Thompson. The better argument is the last 3 minutes of the last game last year benefited Thompson from a confidence standpoint Whenever the competion for starting QB is as close as it was between Tune and Thompson, mop up minutes don't benefit the loser of that competition. If you were talking about Thompson playing one or two series when the game mattered, then yes, that would be a benefit. But that wasn't the case here.

The main point is I think you may see Thompson as a starter by the end of the year, itherwise I don't think he enters the game in that situation.

• Downvote 3

Dispectfully disagree that playing the last 2 minutes of this game in any way benefited Thompson. The better argument is the last 3 minutes of the last game last year benefited Thompson from a confidence standpoint Whenever the competion for starting QB is as close as it was between Tune and Thompson, mop up minutes don't benefit the loser of that competition. If you were talking about Thompson playing one or two series when the game mattered, then yes, that would be a benefit. But that wasn't the case here.

The main point is I think you may see Thompson as a starter by the end of the year, itherwise I don't think he enters the game in that situation.

Your football IQ is somewhere in the Corky range. (Life Goes On, Corky - Not Nelson Corky.)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I am not sure what you are arguing they are and should have him in whenever they can. Yesterday was a big house very good time for Derek. He is second on the depth chart there was no way he would red shirt this year.

I am not sure what you are arguing they are and should have him in whenever they can. Yesterday was a big house very good time for Derek. He is second on the depth chart there was no way he would red shirt this year.

Yep, that's why Vito, a guy who covers sports for a living, was also surprised to see it. Just ignore me, as I have no idea of which I speak.

#2 on the depth chart doesnt mean you have to use him when he is not needed.

• Downvote 1

Yep, that's why Vito, a guy who covers sports for a living, was also surprised to see it. Just ignore me, as I have no idea of which I speak.

Vito was just playing to some unfounded speculation on here earlier in fall camp, I can't think of a time the number 2 QB on the depth chart for the season did not see action in that season anywhere in the history of football ever.

• Upvote 2

Find me a FBS school where the #2 QB is a redshirt???? Thompson needs to get as many snaps as possible. The guy is literally a play away from starting. If he's got to get in for mop up duty, like yesterday, so be it. 2 years of eligibility and 1 as the legitimate #2 guy is more than enough efficient use of his time here. Besides, who's to say a true freshman won't come in here and challenge him for the starting spot next year???? Look at Riley and tell me you didn't think he'd be the starting QB here for 4 straight years. Things happen, have your best players available now.

Edited by Got5onIt

But GMG.

I don't have a problem with this because you do whatever it takes. Dodge is not in the business of saving years of eligibility at this stage or any stage because the team needs to win. Players come and go and after this season he will still have 2 years remaining and chances are he will be the starter next year and after that the ball is in his court.

Yep, and Vito is the same guy that gets half of his article ideas off of this message board.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Vito was just playing to some unfounded speculation on here earlier in fall camp, I can't think of a time the number 2 QB on the depth chart for the season did not see action in that season anywhere in the history of football ever.

I can think of at least one......Jon Kitna, last year with The Cowboys.

I can think of at least one......Jon Kitna, last year with The Cowboys.

Yeah but Kitna has had plenty of experience and I don't think anyone in Dallas wanted his washed butt playing. I was surprised that we kept him this year, and I think he will soon move down the depth chart if he hasn't already. I think he is a good mentor for McGee.