Mathis Decision, End Of Practice Notes

Brett Vito

I suppose an approx $100,000,000.00 brand new football stadium investment in Denton even impresses Johnny Jones BB blue chip prospects coming to our campus for visits. (Our ageless SuperPit is still a very impressive Big Time on-campus basketball venue, too).

Very impressive, Coach Jones. :clapping:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I admit that I do not know the details, this is just my personal take based on what I have read:

Player is unhappy with PT and touches; Coaches have every right to make those decisions. Inmates do not run the asylum. Player is at a very competitive position; Coaches try to give Player role to play to get his talents on the field. Player pi$$e$ on everything, takes his ball and goes home to mama.

How am I doin'? Close?

I admit that I do not know the details, this is just my personal take based on what I have read:

Player is unhappy with PT and touches; Coaches have every right to make those decisions. Inmates do not run the asylum. Player is at a very competitive position; Coaches try to give Player role to play to get his talents on the field. Player pi$$e$ on everything, takes his ball and goes home to mama.

How am I doin'? Close?

I would have worded the last sentence differently. Like: player is told that due to injury in key position, his chances for pt are looking better, but player has talked himself into not giving it another chance here.

I thank both of you for improving my perspective on the situation.

This recent rash of injuries, coupled with the defections, is starting to screw with our depth. With regard to the defections, I know this is a cliche but football is a TEAM sport. You get on the field and do your part to execute your assignment and contribute to the team effort when the coach calls your number.

I hate to see this crap going on. :(

I thank both of you for improving my perspective on the situation.

This recent rash of injuries, coupled with the defections, is starting to screw with our depth. With regard to the defections, I know this is a cliche but football is a TEAM sport. You get on the field and do your part to execute your assignment and contribute to the team effort when the coach calls your number.

I hate to see this crap going on. :(

Happens everywhere...quitters quit...and we don't need 'em.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So, who gets his scholarship????? I have a thought on that...a very deserving current walk-on was "overlooked" when the remaining scholarships were passed out this week. The guy is a starter in a special teams position and has definitely earned a scholarship after playing as a walk-on for the last couple of years. Why TD and Company did not reward his dedication and loyalty is beyond comprehension given a couple of the scholarships awarded. Every player deserves to have an honest chance at a scholarship. In this case the kid did everything...everything...asked of him, missed no off-season workouts, has his grade point average in line and was named a special teams starter. How does one simply OVERLOOK that kind of work ethic and loyalty to the program??????

All the while a rent-a-player in a position overcrowded with scholarship players gets a scholarship when everyone knows he will be gone in December...back to the university where he will graduate and where his loyalties will lie for the rest of his life...no thought to UNT his one-semester rent-a-school. What's up with that?????

BTW...I wish every kid working hard on the team was on scholarship. It's a tough job and requires dedication and hard work. They are all deserving of support if they are good enough to be on the team in the first place. But, NCAA has limits, I understand...in this case, TD and Company may have just missed one of the "good and loyal walk-ons". Too bad and pretty sad situation in my humble opinion.

I'll bet the player will handle it well and continue to play his heart out for the Mean Green.

Re: Ships to walk ons

There is no way that you are going to make everyone happy. While rewarding dedication and loyalty is certainly a factor in awarding scholarships there are many others. First to any coach is going to be what best benefits the team. It is possible that some of those obtaining ships were promised those before they even arrived. Others may be just so good, they want to keep them from transferring. Some of the walk-ons may already have other type of scholarships. I don't know what the current rules are now, but at one time Pell grants were better than athletic ships in a lot of ways. It is unfair but in general it is very difficult for a walk-on to get a ship at a fb division school were scholarships are all or nothing. NT because of penalties and turnover ended up with an usual number of ships to award.

As for as GilMartin-Donahue, what difference does it make were he goes after his eligibility. Without any inside knowledge at all, it is easy to speculate he may have been promised a scholarship, doesn't it seem a little strange that he chose to come all the way to NT to walk on. It is also easy to give ships to seniors because there is no long term commitment.

There is nothing more compelling than a walk-on who gives their all and I too wish they could all be rewarded. However, each ship given to a walk-on takes one away from a potential recruit. Unfortunately, it is difficult to overcome the allure of that potential unknown player,

Edited by GrandGreen

So, who gets his scholarship????? I have a thought on that...a very deserving current walk-on was "overlooked" when the remaining scholarships were passed out this week. The guy is a starter in a special teams position and has definitely earned a scholarship after playing as a walk-on for the last couple of years. Why TD and Company did not reward his dedication and loyalty is beyond comprehension given a couple of the scholarships awarded. Every player deserves to have an honest chance at a scholarship. In this case the kid did everything...everything...asked of him, missed no off-season workouts, has his grade point average in line and was named a special teams starter. How does one simply OVERLOOK that kind of work ethic and loyalty to the program??????

All the while a rent-a-player in a position overcrowded with scholarship players gets a scholarship when everyone knows he will be gone in December...back to the university where he will graduate and where his loyalties will lie for the rest of his life...no thought to UNT his one-semester rent-a-school. What's up with that?????

BTW...I wish every kid working hard on the team was on scholarship. It's a tough job and requires dedication and hard work. They are all deserving of support if they are good enough to be on the team in the first place. But, NCAA has limits, I understand...in this case, TD and Company may have just missed one of the "good and loyal walk-ons". Too bad and pretty sad situation in my humble opinion.

I'll bet the player will handle it well and continue to play his heart out for the Mean Green.

So who is it???

So who is it???

Looks like that wrong has been righted...just waiting on the official confirmation from an "official" source, but looks good. This restores a bit of faith in the idea that hard work and taking care of business in every way will lead to good things....the kid has indeed EARNED IT! Great news...can't wait for that official confirmation!

Looks like that wrong has been righted...just waiting on the official confirmation from an "official" source, but looks good. This restores a bit of faith in the idea that hard work and taking care of business in every way will lead to good things....the kid has indeed EARNED IT! Great news...can't wait for that official confirmation!

Well, I certainly hope that the apparent good news does get that official confirmation. We've all heard about how that kickers have the stress of playing with knowing that they can so often make the difference between winning and losing a game. It's lesser known how much stress, mental and physical, is involved in being a deep snapper. I wish I had finished a library book I started a couple of years ago, "The Deep Snapper"; just was reading several books at the time and didn't make it through that one, but it was about the deep snapper who was signed out of "retirement" by the Patriots during their first Superbowl run, and all he went through (maybe I just wasn't prepared to read about all that football related stress at the time). It gave a pretty good picture of the variety of challenges that deep snappers have to handle; it's interesting how physically difficult it is. I think that a good deep snapper is someone who should get their well deserved rewards.

I being from the "Football Powerhouse" of Lake Dallas feel our former star QB CHASE BAINE should have been put on "Scholly" a year ago. I hope he keeps on working hard for the MeanGreen and sticks with the program and Dodge will reward him soon .

See yall on the 11th

notsure the reasoning for scholly's, seems to be very political... just like my previous post Baine will never get a shot at playing nor will he get a scholly.... Dodge must be holding a grudge that he did not consider UNT out of high school. I know the kid and he can play, you can even see it on the field now, and he had multiple offers from Navy, Air Force, Turner Gill's Buffalo and others but decided to play baseball.. came back to UNT for personal reasons and not even on the radar since he has been back. oh well, the life of a walk on, you better love the sport to keep putting in the hours for FREE.