Initial Thought From Scrimmage Today

Harry

Thompson impressed the hell out of me. 4 scoring possessions 2 runs 2 passes, a beautiful deep ball and enough speed to get 4 when you need it. tune is good but Thompson is going to be tough to catch now. Byrd had a huge day at RB and may be securing #2 spot. Oh biggest story is they are now lining up under center in the red zone and actually scoring when they do it! Much more to come and some great pics later in the blog! GMG

PS it was hot!!

Thompson impressed the hell out of me. 4 scoring possessions 2 runs 2 passes, a beautiful deep ball and enough speed to get 4 when you need it. tune is good but Thompson is going to be tough to catch now. Byrd had a huge day at RB and may be securing #2 spot. Oh biggest story is they are now lining up under center in the red zone and actually scoring when they do it! Much more to come and some great pics later in the blog! GMG

PS it was hot!!

Thanks Harry. What about the defense? We need some playmakers.

PS it was hot!!

If that's how it turns out them I'm confident with Tune as our backup.

8 wins.

Well I will have a lot more in depth in the blog later but I saw some good things from the defense. Robertson is a stud but saw some other guys like Prior and Orr starting to make themselves known. The QBs were wearing red so that does take a little away from physicality aspect of the defense and makes it harder to gauge the passrush. More to come.

Credit goes to my buddy and poster Deep Green who was the first to point this out:

NOT ONCE did our team look over to the sideline after lining up for a play. (to see what play was being signaled in). We just ran our plays. It was great.

Also....if you are on the student side and look at that gap between the deck and the end of the stadium (press box side).......you get an unbelievable view of the new stadium. I think Harry took a picture of it.

At WR....after his inital drop.....I thought Willie Taylor had a great day.

Three guys that I really wanted to watch on the D line were held out of practice: La Chris Anyiam, Brandon McCoy and Kyle White. They were all three doing conditioning work....so I'm guessing they're just dealing with minor injuries.

Serrano kicked the first few PATS....instead of Olen.

Areas where I think we have good depth: O line, WR, RB, and linebacker. Depth at DB, QB and D line...not quite as good as those other areas, IMHO.

Derrick Teegarden....didn't play any at QB....all his plays were as a WR.

Oh and one more thing: If it's still unbearably hot next week.....the student side of the stadium......is a good 15 degrees cooler than the press box side. (For folks who watch next week's scrimmage after the Kickoff Cookout Breakfast.)

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 3

nobody has mentioned the cannon leg that Will Atterberry displayed today. He is going to make huge difference in field position.

That cannon leg fell to pieces after getting a couple blocked last year. I really hope he's got his mind right again.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Well he had a little wind behind him but Atterbury hit a 70 yard punt today he looked really good. It looked like Troy and Blake were splitting time at the deep snapper. Getting Atterbury back to how he looked against Ball State would be huge for this team.

Credit goes to my buddy and poster Deep Green who was the first to point this out:

NOT ONCE did our team look over to the sideline after lining up for a play. (to see what play was being signaled in). We just ran our plays. It was great.

Which one is the emoticon for "tears of joy"?

• Upvote 2

nobody has mentioned the cannon leg that Will Atterberry displayed today. He is going to make huge difference in field position.

Atterberry did look great. Even when he got bad snaps or didn't get a spiral on the ball, he was still getting 50 yards on his punts. His best punts were around 60 to 70 yards.

That cannon leg fell to pieces after getting a couple blocked last year. I really hope he's got his mind right again.

Atterberry has changed his punting technique. Last season he used a mult-step punting technique. I noticed during spring practices that he had switched to a one step technique. This allows him to get the ball out faster. Sometimes a punter will lose distance with the one step, Atterberry's leg actually looks stronger. I was very pleased with his play, and I think he will help us win the field position battle in many games this season. In my opinion, the All Sun Belt Team is a real possibility for him.

• Upvote 2

Atterberry has changed his punting technique. Last season he used a mult-step punting technique. I noticed during spring practices that he had switched to a one step technique. This allows him to get the ball out faster. Sometimes a punter will lose distance with the one step, Atterberry's leg actually looks stronger. I was very pleased with his play, and I think he will help us win the field position battle in many games this season. In my opinion, the All Sun Belt Team is a real possibility for him.

Good observation. I hadn't heard anyone point that out before.

Yes, they were used if that's what you're asking. Draylen Ross caught a couple of passes, as I recall. And Michah Moseley got a lot of action in a U Back role.

The one handed catch by Ross was really nice. I thought he had a good day at TE.

PS it was hot!!

I'm glad Thompson has earned his way up to having a name, instead of being referred to as "the kid from Glen Rose". :P

If this is true, we could go 1-11 and I would call it an improved season. Nothing in the Dodge era has made me more insane than that.