Houston It Is For 1St Game

NT03

For all of those complaining about the memories of a posible stadium-opening loss, do you remember the opening game at Fouts? Or how about the Cowboys, Rangers, Mavs or Stars first game in their new stadium/arena? Sorry, I don't remember any of them and I really don't think the stadium-opening opponent is that big of a deal past the 2011 season. We're a REALLY hard group to please. For years, we've asked to schedule more home games against regional opponents and argued that the home-field advantage would allow for a greater possibility for an upset. Now that we finally get what many of us have been seeking, all we want to do is complain? Maybe DD was right...we're all just a bunch of m-f'ers!!! ;)

I think Houston is a great choice. A lot of people in that city do not even know we exist, and a win in that game could put us on the map for many. They will likely have a rookie at QB, while we will hopefully have a reasonably seasoned and talented QB in Thompson, to go along with an experienced receiving corp and a Heisman candidate :o at RB. Hopefully, they'll bring at least 5k up from Houston to add to the atmosphere. If we can just get that defense up to a top 75 level, I suspect we'll at least be competitive.

• Upvote 1

To you girls that are afraid of playing Houston in the opener of our NEW STADIUM: This is about opening that new football stadium for UNT, not the opponent. Come to celebrate the facility, the stadium, the bright future ahead.

Do you realize how close we were to not having this stadium, and perhaps not having a top level program too? I remember waiting on here that October 2008 afternoon for news of the student vote on the athletic fee. Someone posted that it wasn't looking good. I was beyond depressed, thinking of "the future that could have been for our program". :(

Well, the vote finally did pass, and that future and new facility will soon be reality.

http://web3.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=11204 :)

This is what many of us MG fans have waited so many years to see. Bring on Houston or Notre Dame or the Cowboys as an opponent; the team and fans will be pumped and ready that night for anyone!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I want to play Houston. I'm not saying that we shouldn't. I wish we played Houston every year. I'm from Houston. I'll make that trip every time. I'm saying we shouldn't make that game the first one in our new stadium. I'm not scared to play Houston. I'm being realistic. We've won five games in three years. A new stadium isn't going to change that over night. If we have another bad season, Houston is going to embarrass us. I don't want my first memories of a game in the new stadium to be a disaster like the Tulsa or the last Rice game.

Based on our recent performance, the most likely opportunity opening against Houston presents is receiving a beat down as we open the new stadium on national T.V.

No thanks.

We play WKU at home in 2011. Finish the stadium on time and move the WKU game to Sept. 3. If we don't, odds are we will regret it.

I hadn't seen the information that our first game in the new stadium is going to be on national TV.

Anyway, if you're frightened of us playing Houston....stay home. You can cower under your sheets all day.....and maybe Mommy will bring you a bowl of soup.

Sheesh.

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I think it's great to have Indiana and Houston in home and gome series, but opening the new stadium with Houston is a terrible idea. I drink alot of green cool-aid, but the chances of us winning against a team that looks to be the next TCU, Boise, BYU, or Utah of college football, just don't seem good to me. I want to open the stadium with a win. Get the stadium built on time, and if we have to, schedule WKU for Sept. 3. I would think the Waters would rather us open this thing with a win.

If the Houston game ends up being the opener, and they kick the crap out of us on ESPN (2, U, Classic, or the Ocho), many of you who are happy now will be calling for someones head.

Joe, what do you sound like when you are confident and not scared? :P I think if SMU or TCU won't come, then I think Houston is a good choice. I think you should open with as biggest name as you possibly can. USF hosted Texas in their new stadium. Though Texas won, Mack Brown said after the game that they would be careful not to help another school open their stadium. USF played lights out because of the excitement, and I believe we will to. If Dodge is the coach, then we will be coming off a good season this year, and will want to prove this year was no fluke. IF he is not, then the new coach and the team will want to usher in the start of a brand new winning era in the new stadium at UNT. We have quite a few graduates living in the Houston area, and I am sure Houston has its share in DFW. A couple of years ago, UH dang near filled up the lower bowl at the pit when we played them the day of their bowl game in Fort Worth. There was a lot of red! I think it is a great choice and I believe many would snicker if we scheduled a soft opponent.

• Upvote 2

Checking out their 2-deep in this Fall's Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine, it appears UH will graduate their starting QB this year and will have to replace some other key positions. Of course, they may be ready to simply reload with as much quality. I believe we will have 1 of 2 QB's (whoever it is) with a good year under his belt after this football season.

We have somewhat of a perfect storm on the verge of happening in Denton with Mean Green football.

Perfect Storm? If Coach Dodge does well this year (as most of us I believe hope he does) we could very well go to a bowl game with 6 or 7 wins and then we'd be hosting the University of Houston Cougars as a bowl quality team. If TD doesn't do well or get his needed wins this Fall, then we open the 2011 football campaign with a new stadium and a new head football coach. (Perfect storm was probably not the best illustration I could come up with but I know many of you get my drift).

IMHO, UH will travel more fans to this particular one game because how many schools get to open another school's new football stadium in any given century?:blink::)

I like where our team could be next Fall whoever coaches them and I think UH will lose some talent this Fall which could make it an interesting game for next Fall. Great choice of a stadium opening opponent in my opinion and being originally from the Houston area and an ex Coog' fan as a kid up untill my senior year in HS, I couldn't be happier with UNT's new stadium debut matchup. I would hope UH would bring their fabulous marching band for this trip.

Whats green with lots of red goo? Give up?

Answer: A frog in a microwave after a full 2 minutes of it doing a Joe Cocker/Woodstock-style spastic sort of dance, that's what! :blink: (SUMG, you can have that old one for free--I for darn sure don't want it anymore)! LOL!

• Upvote 1

Joe, what do you sound like when you are confident and not scared? :P I think if SMU or TCU won't come, then I think Houston is a good choice. I think you should open with as biggest name as you possibly can. USF hosted Texas in their new stadium. Though Texas won, Mack Brown said after the game that they would be careful not to help another school open their stadium. USF played lights out because of the excitement, and I believe we will to. If Dodge is the coach, then we will be coming off a good season this year, and will want to prove this year was no fluke. IF he is not, then the new coach and the team will want to usher in the start of a brand new winning era in the new stadium at UNT. We have quite a few graduates living in the Houston area, and I am sure Houston has its share in DFW. A couple of years ago, UH dang near filled up the lower bowl at the pit when we played them the day of their bowl game in Fort Worth. There was a lot of red! I think it is a great choice and I believe many would snicker if we scheduled a soft opponent.

That was UCF, not USF. But your point is well taken.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not impressed with the home opener of UH. If we are going to get smoked by a team at least make it a name team. Not another non BCS level school, but at least we don't have to worry about their fans buying out the stadium.

when you are ranked 110 out of 119 1a football programs its a little hard to schedule someone you can beat. it would be worse to get smoked by sfa or mcneese.

• Upvote 3

Houston is good, but they aren't unbeatable good. Good Lord....they beat OSU last year....and then got beat the next week by UTEP by 17 (as I recall). Houston lost 4 games last year. They also lost to ECU and UCF. And in the bowl game in Ft. Worth....Air Force beat them by 27.

I'm doing this from memory...so the score margins may not be accurate.

But to sit here acting like Houston, at home, is a "body bag" game is so "give up"...that it's pathetic.

Houston should be NT's biggest rival. We should play them every year. You guys should be jumping at the chance to get that started.

I agree. We already battle with them in terms of number of students (tight race for 3rd largest university in the state). It would be great to see them become rivals on the field as well.

In terms of drawing out fans, after graduation, I went for several years without going to a UNT game (I'm ashamed to admit). The match up that initially got me back out was when we played Houston at Fouts in the late 90's.