Nt All-Time Busts

BIG DAWG

I don't know how long admin will let this one last, but I figure busts are a part of life in sports. Everyone else gets to talk about theirs...why can't we discuss ours? I figure current players can't be on the list because there is still time to prove themselves if they are currently on the roster

QB - Joey Byerly

RB - Roy Bishop

RB

WR - Sam Roberson

WR - Sam Dibrel

TE

OL - Ajani Banks

OL

OL

OL

OL

DT - TJ Raymond

DT

DE - Willie Ransom

DE - Eli Hutchinson

LB - Trent "something" didn't even make fall camp, but was supposed to be a bad mofo

LB - Brandon Monrow...loved this guy...really pulled for him...never did much

LB

CB - TJ Covington

CB - Dominique Green

S

S

I am sure I am missing some guys...thought it could be an interesting topic

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Players : How about Spencer Stack ? I thought he was good , just didn't fit the system

Coaches : Parker,Mendoza,TBA

I don't know if anyone who ever came to UNT could be considered a true " bust". It's not like we roll in 4 & 5 star recruits each and every year. I think maybe some recruiting sites are the one who really " busted"... Ransom & Covington I believe were both 4 stars, but problem is they were JUCOs. I think both had injuries and it's really hard to produce if you have a nagging injury and only 2 years to impress. I wouldn't consider Covington a bust , he started 1 year and was pretty good IMO

I thought Dribbell was good here too , he just didn't stick around.

Edited by NT03

Players : How about Spencer Stack ? I thought he was good , just didn't fit the system

Coaches : Parker,Mendoza,TBA

I don't know if anyone who ever came to UNT could be considered a true " bust". It's not like we roll in 4 & 5 star recruits each and every year. I think maybe some recruiting sites are the one who really " busted"... Ransom & Covington I believe were both 4 stars, but problem is they were JUCOs. I think both had injuries and it's really hard to produce if you have a nagging injury and only 2 years to impress. I wouldn't consider Covington a bust , he started 1 year and was pretty good IMO

I thought Dribbell was good here too , he just didn't stick around.

I agree that Dibrell did some good things, but I added in the fact of how he left with how much he could have doen here

I know we don't get 5* players here, but there are still guys that come in here that we all expect big things from...when they dont live up to expectaions, I think they could be considered busts

For RB, I nominate Milton Collins out of Blooming Grove. He was supposed to be "Big Time". Mostly he was just big (and slow). He never made any kind of impact.

At QB, how about Gene Pool(although he did make a pretty good DB)?

I don't like the subject of this thread, there are lots of players who did not live up to expectations; but the label a player a bust that NT wanted and signed seems very inappropriate to me.

Milton is often cited as a big bust,only problem he wasn't : he ended up starting in the defensive line. He also provided more publicity to NT than any signee. Approximately 50% of all players who sign a division 1 ship have little impact on a program whether it is NT or UT. Do you label all of them busts? Even if you do, you could not include Collins because he gave a big boost to Fry's program for just signing and played a lot. He was the most heralded recruit in Texas that year, therefore the fact he did not turn out to be a super star was disappointing to NT fans. However, he did contribute a lot to NT.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't like the subject of this thread, there are lots of players who did not live up to expectations; but the label a player a bust that NT wanted and signed seems very inappropriate to me.

Milton is often cited as a big bust,only problem he wasn't : he ended up starting in the defensive line. He also provided more publicity to NT than any signee. Approximately 50% of all players who sign a division 1 ship have little impact on a program whether it is NT or UT. Do you label all of them busts? Even if you do, you could not include Collins because he gave a big boost to Fry's program for just signing and played a lot. He was the most heralded recruit in Texas that year, therefore the fact he did not turn out to be a super star was disappointing to NT fans. However, he did contribute a lot to NT.

--I absolutely agree.... besides the absolute busts were those who never saw the field... not those that tried and could not perform up to OUR expectations.

I would also have dispute the addition of Ajani Banks. Banks was a pretty good recruit and who could forget Dickey benching the 1st team offensive line during both the ULaLa and Louisiana Tech games, and replacing them with the Green Team(2nd team). They steamrolled the ULALA defense and came close to helping the team come bact and beat La Tech. Too bad Dickey put the 1st team back in. Things were not the same and we lost the game.

And how could you not include Todd Dodge on your "bust" list?

C'mon...there are shows that are completely devoted to "busts". Every sport, and team, has their share of busts. It is part of the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, how would you like to pick up a paper, look on the internet, or turn on the tv only to hear your child, wife, or significant other called a "bust", especially at a perennial powerhouse of football like we are here at UNT? The one guy that this football program identifies itself with has not stepped on a football field as a player in 30 years. Guess we have had lots of busts since he played here, because no other player since him attracts the same attention as he does when he shows up an event. Yes, he is an NFL Hall of Famer, but hey we have our standards here, right? Man, calling young men who, for the most part, are working for an education to hopefully better themselves, be able to earn a living, and make a positive contribution to society "bust" is really low.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Not sure the word "bust" is appropriate here. I think "didn't live up to the hype" is more appropriate. I have my own list, but will keep it to myself as not to start anything ugly.

That one defensive tackle they used to call "snot". The mini-booger.

Isaac Thomas? I know who you are talking about, just can't really recall his name.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin

This was a pretty big bust

I actually ran into the friend of Dodge's who said he would never come to UNT just the other day. I told him he made me look bad because I was telling everyone, not just gomeangreen.com nation, that he wasn't coming, and it made me look bad.

He told me that Dodge told him point blank that he wouldn't go, and the next thing he knew he was getting the job. I guess he wasn't as good a friend as he thought. This guy is now working with some of Dodge's ex-staff...

QB Woody Wilson, he was suppose to do good things and didnt live up to the hype.

He beat SMU, looked very dynamic in a lot of games his first year, then got jerked around and decided to transfer after the coaching change.

Wouldn't call him a bust, and any disappointment that I felt about his career here wasn't directed at Woody.

• Upvote 1

He beat SMU, looked very dynamic in a lot of games his first year, then got jerked around and decided to transfer after the coaching change.

Wouldn't call him a bust, and any disappointment that I felt about his career here wasn't directed at Woody.

Yeah that is a good point, I just remember all of the hype when he was recruited, that is why I said that. I probably should remove that post because I was not aware of why he transfered.

• Upvote 2

Yeah that is a good point, I just remember all of the hype when he was recruited, that is why I said that. I probably should remove that post because I was not aware of why he transfered.

To put it as diplomatically as possible... Woody transferred because he didn't think he was going to get a fair shot at the starting QB job.

He chose us over BCS offers like Arkansas because they wanted him as a DB and we were willing to let him play quarterback. Then, a year later, the new coaching staff was apparently pushing him to play DB.

• Upvote 1

To put it as diplomatically as possible... Woody transferred because he didn't think he was going to get a fair shot at the starting QB job.

He chose us over BCS offers like Arkansas because they wanted him as a DB and we were willing to let him play quarterback. Then, a year later, the new coaching staff was apparently pushing him to play DB.

So, what's Woody doing these days? Is he playing QB at another DI program? I hope he's playing and playing well, but i really don't know. Anyone?