Softball Pitchers

GrayEagle

Can someone close to the softball situation tell me what they will use for pitching this coming season?

As I look at the roster for this year, I see two pitchers listed. One of them apparently didn't pitch last year and although she has good high school credentials she has no college experience. Her name is Ashley Kirk and she is listed as a sophomore. Why? The other is Brittany? Simmons, a relievf pitcher.

How can you let yourself get in that situation?

Unless the schedule is really stretched out I would think that you would need a minimum of two starters and it might not be a bad idea to have a second reliever. If one pitcher gets a sore arm, they're cooked.

Edited by GrayEagle

Can someone close to the softball situation tell me what they will use for pitching this coming season?

As I look at the roster for this year, I see two pitchers listed. One of them apparently didn't pitch last year and although she has good high school credentials she has no college experience. Her name is Ashley Kirk and she is listed as a sophomore. Why? The other is Brittany? Simmons, a relievf pitcher.

How can you let yourself get in that situation?

Unless the schedule is really stretched out I would think that you would need a minimum of two starters and it might not be a bad idea to have a second reliever. If one pitcher gets a sore arm, they're cooked.

NT only lose one position player from last years team but lose their two best pitchers. So, I too was surprised when no additional pitchers were signed. However, I suppose they could still add a pitcher. Simmons was a starting pitcher but she was third in the rotation, Kirk was injured and I don't think played, so she should be a redshirt freshman. It is not usual for teams to only use a couple of pitchers, some Belt teams last year used the same pitcher in every Belt tournament game.

Still, softball is even more pitcher dominated than baseball; so it is concerning that NT doesn't have more pitching options. NT should have easily the best team in their history next year if they can get good pitching.

• 3 weeks later...

NT only lose one position player from last years team but lose their two best pitchers. So, I too was surprised when no additional pitchers were signed. However, I suppose they could still add a pitcher. Simmons was a starting pitcher but she was third in the rotation, Kirk was injured and I don't think played, so she should be a redshirt freshman. It is not usual for teams to only use a couple of pitchers, some Belt teams last year used the same pitcher in every Belt tournament game.

Still, softball is even more pitcher dominated than baseball; so it is concerning that NT doesn't have more pitching options. NT should have easily the best team in their history next year if they can get good pitching.

They are adding two pitchers, one of them is a JUCO transfer.

• 4 weeks later...

More than likely TJ Hubbard will implement usual 1B Mallory Cantler to do some pitching work, and I'm looking for more info on the other pitcher.

He would have to be really desperate to use Cantler, an all conference first baseball, as a pitcher. Plus as far as I know she has not pitched an inning of college ball.

More than likely TJ Hubbard will implement usual 1B Mallory Cantler to do some pitching work, and I'm looking for more info on the other pitcher.

Thanks, but your original post said we would be adding two pitchers, on of them a JUCO transfer. Moving Cantler and getting info on the other one is only signing one pitcher in my book and not a good sign. Cantler needs to be a 1B, and we need pitching depth, so maybe that is what she is providing.

New pitcher has been added. High school lefty Lauren Poole from Oklahoma. I can't see using Cantler, your best hitter as a pitcher in her senior year unless the other pitchers are really questionable. Maybe it is just a contingency plan preparing for the worse.

Edited by GrandGreen

They are adding two pitchers, one of them is a JUCO transfer.

Do the softball programs have as much trouble getting JUCO players to qualify, show up and actually stay in school as the football programs at most schools?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Do the softball programs have as much trouble getting JUCO players to qualify, show up and actually stay in school as the football programs at most schools?

qualification wise, the issues normally pop up with the NCAA clearinghouse or with the university (mainly in how classes transfer over), so i'd imagine that it would be consistent across all sports. as for whether they show up/stay in school, i'd say that's up to the individual.

it is a bit odd at this point for cantler to get moved, but she's a damn good athlete to the point where i think we'll all be pleasantly and positively surprised if she does get called into the circle.

New pitcher has been added. High school lefty Lauren Poole from Oklahoma. I can't see using Cantler, your best hitter as a pitcher in her senior year unless the other pitchers are really questionable. Maybe it is just a contingency plan preparing for the worse.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by that. So what if she hits and pitches at the same time? That wouldn't hurt anyone.

Plus, I think Coach Hubbard would rather take his chances with finding a solid first baseman who will split time with Cantler when she doesn't pitch than not take a chance with her in the circle.

So, tell me...why is a simple honest question worth -2 in points???? It's a fact that JUCO football signees have some challenges at times actually getting to enroll at their D1 programs and then there have been numerous cases where JUCO transfers don't stay for one reason or another...including academics. It was just a question guys...and honest one as I do not follow college softball all that closely..GEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :o

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

So, tell me...why is a simple honest question worth -2 in points???? It's a fact that JUCO football signees have some challenges at times actually getting to enroll at their D1 programs and then there have been numerous cases where JUCO transfers don't stay for one reason or another...including academics. It was just a question guys...and honest one as I do not follow college softball all that closely..GEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :o

I +ed you for the original question because it was very valid, but then I minused you for complaining about the +/-. EQUILIBRIUM!

• Upvote 1

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by that. So what if she hits and pitches at the same time? That wouldn't hurt anyone.

Plus, I think Coach Hubbard would rather take his chances with finding a solid first baseman who will split time with Cantler when she doesn't pitch than not take a chance with her in the circle.

I don't think finding another first baseball is a problem. Being so thin in pitching that you want to use your best hitter as a pitcher in her senior year does raise some questions. I guess you don't think concentrating on pitching may be just a little distracting and change her focus from playing a solid first and hitting. If she is a great pitcher, it doesn't seem a little odd that she has not throw one pitch until her senior year. I guess you would be fine with putting Josh Hamiltion in the bull pen because the Rangers relief pitching is bad.

I really think the coach has done a good job, but it appears to me that he has got himself in at least an uncomfortable pitching position bringing in a late recruit and contemplating using Cantler. I just wonder why another pitcher was not recruited early with your two best pitchers graduating and only two more on the squad including one who was injured and didn't play last year.

I don't think finding another first baseball is a problem. Being so thin in pitching that you want to use your best hitter as a pitcher in her senior year does raise some questions. I guess you don't think concentrating on pitching may be just a little distracting and change her focus from playing a solid first and hitting. If she is a great pitcher, it doesn't seem a little odd that she has not throw one pitch until her senior year. I guess you would be fine with putting Josh Hamiltion in the bull pen because the Rangers relief pitching is bad.

I really think the coach has done a good job, but it appears to me that he has got himself in at least an uncomfortable pitching position bringing in a late recruit and contemplating using Cantler. I just wonder why another pitcher was not recruited early with your two best pitchers graduating and only two more on the squad including one who was injured and didn't play last year.

She pitched in high school and finished with a career 0.28 ERA. Plus, I don't think there is anything that will hamper her offensive ability. Have you been out to any UNT games over the last two years? She was named to the first team All-Sun Belt not only last year, but her sophomore AND freshman year. I don't think it will be remotely possible for her to quit hitting the ball.

She can break the school records for doubles easily next year, needs 53 hits to tie the all-time school record for hits, will need an '08 style of season to break the RBI record, so I think she'll be in the lineup. As a pitcher or a first baseman.

Also, what if it was Hubbard's plan to use Cantler all along? You never know...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

She pitched in high school and finished with a career 0.28 ERA. Plus, I don't think there is anything that will hamper her offensive ability. Have you been out to any UNT games over the last two years? She was named to the first team All-Sun Belt not only last year, but her sophomore AND freshman year. I don't think it will be remotely possible for her to quit hitting the ball.

She can break the school records for doubles easily next year, needs 53 hits to tie the all-time school record for hits, will need an '08 style of season to break the RBI record, so I think she'll be in the lineup. As a pitcher or a first baseman.

Also, what if it was Hubbard's plan to use Cantler all along? You never know...

She pitched for 2a Jarrell and the fact that she has been all conference at first base for three years is why I wonder about the decision. Yes I have seen the team play although not often, I do wonder what that has to do with anything being she has never pitched. I hate to inform you but the fact she is a great hitter runs counter to your position not in support of it. If this was Hubbard's plan all along, don't you think he would have given her a few innings last year?

Who knows, she may lead the league in hitting and wins; but she could may also have a down year because of the added duties. Either way, it still seems a strange strategy to me.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1