Houston It Is!

KRAM1

I think he means conflicting not with yourself but with info heard from other sources. Some said it might be a Big12 opponent.

We are playing Houston - it's just not for sure the first game. Games can change, road games can change and other factors might have changed what people were hearing 3-4 weeks ago. Right now, it's safe to assume no one knows the opening opponent, but I'd say we can feel good that Houston will be an opponent.

VVIP for more.

We usually bring 6-8k to SMU, and brought 15-20k to the Liberty Bowl in 2006, so lets not get carried away when saying we don't travel.

I'm with canewton with the advice of being hesitant to refer to a school that would be a 35+ point favorite in your house, and has an endowment 7 times bigger than UNT as a high school.

I have lived in Houston since the late 80's. In my opinion, the name "Cougar High" came from the T-sips and Aggies due to Houston's rep as a commuter school. This is why I chimed in earlier about Lifer's comments. We have no right to look down on anyone even though our new stadium might be shinier. Especially UH. And, until our endowment gets to a respectable level, we should stick to making fun of UL-M.

I have lived in Houston since the late 80's. In my opinion, the name "Cougar High" came from the T-sips and Aggies due to Houston's rep as a commuter school. This is why I chimed in earlier about Lifer's comments. We have no right to look down on anyone even though our new stadium might be shinier. Especially UH. And, until our endowment gets to a respectable level, we should stick to making fun of UL-M.

You are correct.

Seems to me most NT fans would get along nicely with UH fans...if for no other reason than having so many common enemies.

Hey guys, Cougar Fan here.

First, Congratulation on the new stadium.

Second, I wanted to say to the gentleman/woman who called my school "Houston High", I don't quite understand the criticism of the academics of my school. We have a one and one with Texas Tech University, and even though there has been a lot of trash talk between the fans of the two schools, very rarely has there been a criticism of the academics of my school, The University of Houston. Tech students and grads know that the U of H is very similar academically, and we have very similar academic missions. I have a lot of friends who attend/attended UNT and I've never viewed UNT as an academic institution beneath UH. To see someone commenting otherwise is offensive, and also silly at the same time. To call the U of H "Houston High" would also put UNT in a problematic academic situation. I would appreciate the reluctance to use this term towards my school.

Third, a lot of UH fans believe we travel enough to the DFW area with our conference games at SMU. However, in 2011 we will be playing SMU at home, so I don't see how this could be a problem for us, as long as it's not the opening football game. I would hate to play the opening football game away (nothing against UNT).

Fourth, although we'll be losing Case Keenum, we are stocked on QB prospects. We've recruited that position well (we run the Air-Raid Offense, so we have to). I don't doubt we'll continue to be good in 2011 regardless of losing Case. If we lose Coach Sumlin, we have plenty of qualified people to promote to that position.

Fifth, we won't travel to fill your stadium unless we miraculously make a BCS bid in this upcoming football season. However, we typically have a good showing in University Park when we play SMU, so I don't see how we would put fewer people in your stadium that night. I could see 2-3 thousand at minimum showing up. I apologize that we may not meet the attendance expectations that some of you have, but I would imagine you would prefer to fill up your own stadium.

Anyways, Here's to a ever more boring off season. I hope to hear some positive news, and I hope the best for the Mean Green.

Sorry to hurt your feelings. I have many friends that are graduates of UofH and the "Cougar High" reference is just a friendly dig. It is a college football board afterall, so please don't get your feelings hurt too bad. It is all in good fun.

Honestly, I would love to play Houston on a continual basis, preferably as a conference mate, but I really don't want to play them as our opening game in our new stadium.

I am a Case Keenum and Kevin Sumlin fan and think Houston will continue to be a successful football program, because of the program Sumlin as put in place.

Houston people-

You have to understand that there are a few closeted Longhorn fans here. Not many, but a few. Cougar High is one of the things Longhorn fans have traditionally called Houston to make themselves feel better. What the purpose is, I'll never know.

But, you are talking about fans of a school that just extorted millions of dollars from Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri, and Baylor when it was already banking about $130 million. So, needless to say, their fans like to rub it into the faces of those without as much money or prestige. They do this because they often fail when trying to pick on those their own size - like, most recently, Alabama.

Inside of Austin people call them Longhorns. Outside of Austin, we just refer to them as what they are - pathetic bastards trying to overcompensate for their exceedingly small penises.

Anyway, it will be nice to have you all open our new stadium with us, despite what the closeted Longhorn fans post on here.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Houston people-

You have to understand that there are a few closeted Longhorn fans here. Not many, but a few. Cougar High is one of the things Longhorn fans have traditionally called Houston to make themselves feel better. What the purpose is, I'll never know.

But, you are talking about fans of a school that just extorted millions of dollars from Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri, and Baylor when it was already banking about $130 million. So, needless to say, their fans like to rub it into the faces of those without as much money or prestige. They do this because they often fail when trying to pick on those their own size - like, most recently, Alabama.

Inside of Austin people call them Longhorns. Outside of Austin, we just refer to them as what they are - pathetic bastards trying to overcompensate for their exceedingly small penises.

Anyway, it will be nice to have you all open our new stadium with us, despite what the closeted Longhorn fans post on here.

I plus oned you. Sukit t-sips

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

wow, never been lumped into the friends of TU group before. For what its worth, I heard Houston High as an undersexed youth attending TCU games back in the SWC days and it stuck with me. Call me a Hornfrog wanna-be if you must, but please sir, dont call me a closet Longhorn....that hurts.

The term "Cougar High" came from the fact that UH was started by the HISD as a JC in the twenties and first held classes at a local high school, became a 4 year institution in the 30's and wasn't seperated from the HISD until 1945. I believe that Houston High School graduates who went to other Universities nicknamed it "Cougar High". Every Aggie I know always refers to it as that, although I can't say that about graduates of other Universities. I have never used the term because I am afraid that people would think I am an A$M grad.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The term "Cougar High" came from the fact that UH was started by the HISD as a JC in the twenties and first held classes at a local high school, became a 4 year institution in the 30's and wasn't seperated from the HISD until 1945. I believe that Houston High School graduates who went to other Universities nicknamed it "Cougar High". Every Aggie I know always refers to it as that, although I can't say that about graduates of other Universities. I have never used the term because I am afraid that people would think I am an A$M grad.

I stand corrected.

Sukit aggs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I plus oned you. Sukit t-sips

minus 2? What's it going to be? You a closet t-sip or what?

You Mean Green or burned orange?

Make your choice. If not Green, get off my forum.

And keep your whorne shirts off my campus.

Totally sick of you National Chump D-bags.

• Downvote 3

Even UH alums I work with call it Cougar High - and they attended in the glory days of Bill Yeoman, Guy Lewis, & Phi Slama Jama.

I'm calling bullshit on this bro. I grew up in Houston. That's a derogatory comment (ala NTSU) and given our performance the last four years we have no business talking smack to anyone.

I'm calling bullshit on this bro. I grew up in Houston. That's a derogatory comment (ala NTSU) and given our performance the last four years we have no business talking smack to anyone.

I didn't mean to imply that they were proud to call it Cougar High - quite the opposite. They probably wish they could have gone to UT, A&M, or just anywhere else - away from home. Familiarity breeds contempt.

I know the feeling - I grew up in Stony Brook NY, and was expected to go to SUNY Stony Brook. Even in 1978, it had a great reputation as a science & research school. But I wanted to get away, to major in music, especially at a school with a jazz program. It took a year to convince my parents to let me go to NT. I sometimes forget about that year at Stony Brook U.

Anyone have any good anecdotes about a guy that met from a school that said a cliche term about another school once or twice? We need to settle this conclusively!

I heard Dr. Larry Teis say it once after one too many cosmos. Matter = resolved.

Edited by Quoner
  • Downvote 1

Hello Harry! Long time no..........you get the drift.

As a young guy I had the opportunity to see a UH "freshmen" basketball team with Elvin Hayes, Don Chaney, Theodus Lee, Ken Spain, etc, at the old Delmar Fieldhouse so I never had any temptation to ever call UH "Cougar High."

Later got to see the aformentioned Guy Lewis-coached UH BB team in the Astrodome against a UCLA team coached by the late John Wooden. Many basketball scribes say that one game was the pioneering "national" TV game (albeit on cable) that would be the initial catalyst that would make college basketball the TV network bonanza that it has become the last several decades.

There is no DJ gig, weddding or corporate event no matter how much it pays that will keep this Mean Greener away from the grand opening of our new football palace in Denton.

In 1975 the Mean Green beat both a Tennessee Volunteer football team that went 6 & 5 and would have been a bowl team in today's NCAA and we also beat U of Houston (the year before they entered and won the Southwest Conference its first year) so who is to say history cannot repeat itself in 2011 even at North Texas in spite of our recent record? That is why they play the game, right?

GMG!

• Upvote 1