Why Not Expand The Sbc?

Got5onIt

Why doesn't the SBC explore expansion? Kick out the non-football members, require all Universities to participate in all sports, send an invite to LaTech & NMSU, set up a conference championship game and pursue a TV deal for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unless your FCS, who would be willing to come to the SBC? Let's face it...the SBC is the absolute bottom of the barrel. The best case scenario is for UNT to bolt the conference or there is a mini merger with 4 SBC teams to join another conference.

With enough money, TV & Bowl tie ins, anything is possible. Problem is, who's willing to dish out cash to the SBC? :ph34r::lol:

• Upvote 1

The SBC may be the "bottom of the barrel" perception wise, but it is much more stable than the WAC or CUSA for that matter. In the long run, it may be the best choice with schools being left out in the cold looking for another home after a conference shuffle. Just a thought.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The SBC may be the "bottom of the barrel" perception wise, but it is much more stable than the WAC or CUSA for that matter. In the long run, it may be the best choice with schools being left out in the cold looking for another home after a conference shuffle. Just a thought.

This.

Great point. Stability can only bring good things. I think this is the perfect time for the conference to make a small splash in the current conference realignment tsunami.

Edited by Got5onIt

I think they are at least exploring the idea. Since the SBC is stable and viable, there is no reason to bring in an FCS team. But if you read much by posters on the other boards, even the La Tech fans are no longer dismissing joining the Belt out of hand. They don't want to be in a conference with ULM is now their main concern. If another school decides its time to leave the Wacy behind, then La Tech is certain to be looking at all the options including coming back.

On the SBC board there is a LOT of resistance to NMSU just because of the distance. Again, western schools are better served by a western conference.

But, any school we add needs to bring more than just the requirement we all slice the pie into smaller pieces.

Yeah. The MAC has been a really stable conference, look what it's done for them.

You sure have become bitter lately after being Mr. Positive during the stadium campaign. Would the real UNTFlyer please stand up?

• Upvote 2

We're not going to get UTSA because they're going C-USA.

And, guys...I hate to say this, but...maybe Texas State goes C-USA as well. You look at their marketing, they were what, almost a Top 50 seller of their brand, beating out many FBS schools already.

We've got to just do what we can control - and that is KEEP WINNING, BABY!

• Downvote 8

I have a novel idea, why don't we don't start our own Mean Green television network? B) Think of the millions of dollars we could earn!

I'm game. I just bought a canon digital camcorder and a new laptop. We can call it MeanGreenVision

And, guys...I hate to say this, but...maybe Texas State goes C-USA as well. You look at their marketing, they were what, almost a Top 50 seller of their brand, beating out many FBS schools already.

We've got to just do what we can control - and that is KEEP WINNING, BABY

you mean "start" winning baby!!

They are NOT going to CUSA. They are Div I-AA.

Moratorium. And with the NCAA all nervous about realignment does anyone really believe they are going to lift it?

UTSA and Texas State aren't going to Div I-A, period.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would think a school would rather be independent than be in the SBC if they had no other conference options...unless of course they are not currently Div1 and then they would fit right into the SBC. We welcome all non Div1 universities, esp those looking to add football at some point in the future.

I dont understand your "stable" point here. Can you please clarify?

• Downvote 1

They are NOT going to CUSA. They are Div I-AA.

Moratorium. And with the NCAA all nervous about realignment does anyone really believe they are going to lift it?

UTSA and Texas State aren't going to Div I-A, period.

I say sunbelt with football only members = 9....add Houston, Memphis, USM, ECU, UTEP UAB and UCF = 16 members and fit pretty well..and rename the 16 team conference to something else....so long small private schools...hello more fans in southern us.

Why? There are no schools available for the SBC to expand with. No 1-AA (FCS) moveups are allowed yet. No existing 1-A schools (FBS) would drop down to the SBC; even La Tech is willing to pay extra travel expenses to stay away.

Edited by NT80

We'll be at 10 soon enough once South Alabama's program makes the jump. It's pretty unrealistic at this point to expect anyone but La. Tech or NMSU to flirt with the possibility of rejoining the conference. CUSA's payout is still more than ours and they're higher ranked as a conference in both major sports. Also, there is no reason at this point to add a school just to have it.

I'm not a fan of adding either Texas State or UTSA, and the conference doesn't have a history of adding non-affiliated FCS schools except for FAU and FIU when the viability of the SBC was in question.

I would think a school would rather be independent than be in the SBC if they had no other conference options...unless of course they are not currently Div1 and then they would fit right into the SBC. We welcome all non Div1 universities, esp those looking to add football at some point in the future.

I dont understand your "stable" point here. Can you please clarify?

First of all, you must be a member of a conference to get all of you teams other than football into NCAA playoffs. Even Notre Dame is in a conference for everything except football.

Secondly, it is not the SBC but the vaulted WAC that according to the Sacramento Bee is serious analyzing adding some combination of Montana, Portland State, Sacramento State, Cal Poly and UC Davis. The SBC is stable and doesn't need to add FCS schools in order to survive. As pointed out in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, 13 schools in the last 12 years have found the Wac so bad they left.

As the article in the Star-Advertiser was headlined, "Can the last team in the WAC please turn out the lights." The SBC doesn't have that problem because they are stable.

As pointed out in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, 13 schools in the last 12 years have found the Wac so bad they left.

Yes, all 13 former WAC schools started or received promotions into a better conference. How many schools from the SunBelt Football Conference have been promoted? I believe three (3)...all promoted TO the WAC.