Best Dunkers In Unt History

I'd like to see your top 5 list of dunkers in UNT history. This shouldn't go on just one dunk you saw. I am looking for ability to finish, frequency of finishes, no fear dunkers in UNT basketball history. In other words, who will Alonzo Edwards be measured against as he begins his dunking legacy at UNT? Old schoolers, let me hear from you because I can only judge from 1990 on.

1. Shawnson Johnson (there is no doubt about this one!)

2. Xavier Hinton (the X man from the early 90s loved to throw it down and looked for it every chance he got)

3. George Odufawa - He can dunk with power and has no fear.

3. Rich Young - great dunking ability, could finish on the break very well

4. Pat Nash - best dunking guard in UNT history. He could flat out fly.

Now, I only saw him play in person a few times - but Harold Stewart could throw'em down with the best of them.

Yeah, Stewart and Hinton were very similar builds. But, Harold didn't go for a dunk nearly as often as the X man nor did he have as many opportunities.

Granted Stew was a role player, so perhaps he didn't get the opportunities. If that disqualifies him, so be it. He would've won a lot of pure dunking contests tho. B)

You're right. Come to think of it, I think he made the final 2 of the Texas High School All-Star Basketball Game dunk contest after his senior year.

The great Charles McMillian (Blakely era) was an incredible dunker. Just electrified the crowd whenever he got a breakaway. Seems like I remember reading something about him back in the day where only David Thompson had a better vertical than McMillian.

McMillan had a great vertical. Kenneth Lyons arguably the best player ever at NT could dunk with the best. Brandon Gilbert from Trilli era had some of the greatest dunks I've seen. I will give a vote for Leroy Winfield who never dunked because it was not allowed, but he jumped center for NT and seldom lost. At 6'2 he could jump out of the gym. I still refuse to give any credit to Shawson Johnson, the player gave a two year ship to play one semester. Adam Smith who played for Jank was also a prolific dunker.

Donald "Jet" Williams who played in the Gales era was an incredible dunker. Unfortunately that's all he could do. But man that skinney kid from South Oak Cliff could dunk.

And Yes, P. Nash could dunk, but he never got close enough to the rim. He jacked stuff up from just past half court. When he played he thought his range was inside the arena.

Edited by GreenBat

There was an awesome dunk off a rebound by a UNT player vs. Texas Tech back in the late 70s or early 80s. His name may have been Taylor, can't remember for sure. He went up high after a missed shot and slammed it down one-handed over a Tech player. It was jaw-dropping. We won that game too.

There was an awesome dunk off a rebound by a UNT player vs. Texas Tech back in the late 70s or early 80s. His name may have been Taylor, can't remember for sure. He went up high after a missed shot and slammed it down one-handed over a Tech player. It was jaw-dropping. We won that game too.

Could have been Delante Taylor a guard with great hops.

TOP 3 (and the next 15) 1975-Present

1 Charles McMilliam, 6-4 Dallas, SOC/Tyler JC (76-77)

2 Waymond Lister, 6-3 Dallas SOC (75-76)

3 Eric Dortch, Eric 6-6 Pensacola, FL (Baylor (84-85)

4 Brandon Gilbert, 6-8, Madisonville, Kilgore JC (98-99)

5 Robert Washington, 6-5 Dallas Carter (96-97)

6 Xavier Henton, 6-7, Port Arthur Lincoln (91-92)

7 Harold Stewart. 6-7 Crowley, TX (05-06)

8 Deginald Erskin. 6-6. Gonzales (98-99)

9 Delonte Taylor, 6-4 Washington DC/TCU (1980-1981)

10 Will Smith, 6-7 Dallas, Lincoln (2000-2001)

11 Michael Sturns, 6-4 North Crowley (Crowley High)

12 Melvin Lurch Davis, 6-8 Greenville, TX (74-76)

13 George Odufawa, 6-8 Dallas Kimball/Arizona St (2007-2008)

14 Javon Dupree, 6-4 FT Worth, Paschal (80-81)

15 Chuck Thrash. 6-7 Sewart County JC (96-97)

16 Kenneth Lyons, 6-7 FT Worth, Tremble Tech (79-80)

17 Jessie Ratliff, 6-7 Biloxi High Mississippi (90-91)

18 Tony Worrell, 6-7 Greensboro, NC (1984-1985)

Donald "Jet" Williams who played in the Gales era was an incredible dunker. Unfortunately that's all he could do. But man that skinney kid from South Oak Cliff could dunk.

And Yes, P. Nash could dunk, but he never got close enough to the rim. He jacked stuff up from just past half court. When he played he thought his range was inside the arena.

Yeah, both Nash and Donnell Hayden make the all UNT ball hog team, but that's another list...lol.

Excellent, detailed list. Like others mentioned, I would also have to add Shawnson Johnson to that list. Although he only played with NT a short time he was a monster under the boards. Add Ken Williams too.

Cooley's list is excellent. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Ronnie Morgan. While his dunks were not necessarily "pretty", he had one of those great power dunks ala Charles Barkley that would just about shake the SuperPit.

Cooley's list is excellent. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Ronnie Morgan. While his dunks were not necessarily "pretty", he had one of those great power dunks ala Charles Barkley that would just about shake the SuperPit.

Who was the player that came from Mississippi with Jesse Ratliff? I think his last name was Nunley, but I'm not certain. He could jump through the rafters of the Super Pit.

I guess it depends what kind of dunk you like. I was never impressed with Dominique Wilkins because I liked the high flyers who would glide in for the dunk like Jordan or Drexler.

Who was the player that came from Mississippi with Jesse Ratliff? I think his last name was Nunley, but I'm not certain. He could jump through the rafters of the Super Pit.

I guess it depends what kind of dunk you like. I was never impressed with Dominique Wilkins because I liked the high flyers who would glide in for the dunk like Jordan or Drexler.

Jarell Nunley!