One Thing I Will Say

emmitt01

It's no secret I think Dodge is in way over his head and IF this team gets to 7 wins it will be due to his assistants coaching lights out. Also, I think if Riley improves substantially it will be due to a year of maturity and a real college OC putting him in good situations.

With that said I have gotta tip my cap to Dodge's recruiting prowess. As it stands today we will bring in 7 three star kids...and had an 8th until he decided he'd rather spend his time in El Paso (?). No, this class is not on par with our metroplex brethren or even some SBC teams...but none of them were 2-10. We got juco help on the defense and SHOULD have the numbers and talent yo crank it up a notch in intensity.

Now, a question. We should have 2 or 3 schollies left. Who do you think we will/should bring in? Do you think there are DT prospects we're keeping under wraps?

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 4

I don't know why someone gave you a -1 on this but I brought you back to ground zero. :lol: I sure do hope that one of our remaining ships will be used on a DT, but I'm doubtful. A bit off topic but I was just thinking - we are close 7 months away from the start of the 2010 season. How powerful will it be to be sitting in the stands and seeing Fouts 2 standing up in the distance?? Will the stadium be that far along at that point? Wow, I just gave myself goosebumps.

I want a JUCO DT, a high school DT and a QB.....I think we are going to be much better on the DL this year as opposed to last year...Overall I think we can put a defense out there that can hold teams to 25 points or less most of the time......That is assuming ST's are much better and turnovers are way down, especially turnovers that turn directly into points as we saw probably 5 times last year or more....

So, I haven't seen it posted elsewhere, but if it has I apologize....

...but what is the collective thought on whether or not the Canales hiring helps us possibly turn Javia Hall back into a UNT signee? That's the kid I was most looking forward to seeing on the field. With this offense, you can't have too many QBs....esp. ones that are true dual-threats. I'd think that with Canales' background that we'd see a few more doors opened---or re-opened in Hall's case.

Thoughts?

...oh, and it goes without saying that my hopes for the last 3 ships would be---Javia Hall, Stud DT, Stud DE

Edited by TIgreen01

Guest GrayEagleOne

So, I haven't seen it posted elsewhere, but if it has I apologize....

...but what is the collective thought on whether or not the Canales hiring helps us possibly turn Javia Hall back into a UNT signee? That's the kid I was most looking forward to seeing on the field. With this offense, you can't have too many QBs....esp. ones that are true dual-threats. I'd think that with Canales' background that we'd see a few more doors opened---or re-opened in Hall's case.

Thoughts?

...oh, and it goes without saying that my hopes for the last 3 ships would be---Javia Hall, Stud DT, Stud DE

If you could be certain that this coming year will be successful and that Canales will be here throughout Hall's career then the odds would be good. But, there are just too many uncertainties for this hiring to have much influence on Javia Hall I'm afraid.

There are a couple of JUCO DTs that may be available that should have the talent to help this coming year but neither have mentioned interest in us. As for high school DTs we'll probably have to hope that Hill qualifies and would still choose us. There wasn't a tremendous number of good prospects to start with and almost nothing left now.

If you could be certain that this coming year will be successful and that Canales will be here throughout Hall's career then the odds would be good. But, there are just too many uncertainties for this hiring to have much influence on Javia Hall I'm afraid.

There are a couple of JUCO DTs that may be available that should have the talent to help this coming year but neither have mentioned interest in us. As for high school DTs we'll probably have to hope that Hill qualifies and would still choose us. There wasn't a tremendous number of good prospects to start with and almost nothing left now.

Is Mike Price not also on the hot seat in El Paso?? Last I heard, he has had a couple disappointing seasons in a row and the fans/administration were getting restless. How on earth a kid would choose El Paso over Denton (barring any family connections out there or just a super strong desire to live in the middle of nowhere), at this point, is beyond me.

We picked up a kicker in Olen, and I thought Atteberry was pretty good last year as a true freshman.

Let's hope that Olen is better than Knott...

True True....but look at Olen's capabilities...he is both a punter and a kicker. Double score!

Check out his long of 47 ft. for a FG at his 2008 training camp...he also nailed 34 of 35 PATs (though not under pressure) and his average punt is 38 yds. This was two years ago..

Zachary Olen's Stats

Edited by All About UNT

True True....but look at Olen's capabilities...he is both a punter and a kicker. Double score!

Check out his long of 47 ft. for a FG at his 2008 training camp...he also nailed 34 of 35 PATs (though not under pressure) and his average punt is 38 yds. This was two years ago..

Zachary Olen's Stats

Haha that is one heck of a range for our kicker

I hope Olen turns into a real difference maker this year. The stats are impressive.

Having a kicker you can trust is something that Dodge has not yet experienced in his 3 years here. We didn't know what we lost when Baz graduated...

I believe somebody mentioned this earlier but I can't remember if anybody replied. Isn't Franklin from Celina about 6'3" a solid 285 and strong as an ox? Wouldn't he be more beneficial to NT being moved back to DT?

I have wondered what compelled them to move him in the first place. He was a AAA all-state DT.

• Upvote 1

Zachary Olen's Stats

Heck, we already have a kicker who's kicked a 47 yarder, in a football game; check out the link:

Will Atterberry, per meangreensports

Still, he didn't do as well at punting later last season (and Knott also regressed), once other teams figured out that North Texas couldn't hold off anybody's punt block or field goal block units. It won't really matter who punts or kicks until the coaches and players come up with a solution for that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1