South Alabama (1/21/10)

CMJ

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might not be a bad idea for the team to start playing basketball at the tipoff and not dog it for the first 10 minutes of the game thinking they can race back and win any night.

only 10 minutes??? try following a squad that thinks they can dog it for the first 30 minutes then try to come back and win it. that would be us.

we pulled that crap against denver and middle and even tho' we got close both times the 30 minutes of suckball killed us. i'm crushing k-mac until he proves he can win on the road.

I'll be there...as usual...but it is the student turnout that should be so very much larger. It amazes me how great a job the Pit Crew does while being so small in number. I am really amazed at a school the size of UNT with the on-campus and in-town student population that it has, with a winning program and a good arena that so very few students turn out for the games. No reason that we should not see 3-4,0000 students at each game...especially the mid-week games when all the "they leave town on weekends" excuses are gone. Where are the Talons? Have they melted into the Pit Crew numbers? There seems to be about the same number of alums and fans at most games...and many of those drive some distance to get to the games multiple times each week during the season while the students can't be bothered to walk across campus for a game that takes a couple of hours and is over before prime clubbing time. GO FIGURE. The fact that so few attend basketball games (even when the team is winning) is why I tire so much of the argument many have regarding poor student attendance at football games...you know, the one that goes along the lines of...well, if the team was winning the students would turn out. Really? Student basketball attendance just doesn't seem to make a case for that tired and lame argument.

Hats off to the Pit Crew...you folks rock the hose! Too bad more of your fellow students care so little. The student-athletes at UNT work their tails off both in the classroom and in their sports. They represent UNT well and I think it is way past time that the student body, faculty and staff at UNT get behind our student athletes and show up at the games. Same goes for the many many alumni that reside in Denton and within a 30-min drive of Denton.

OK, rant over...sorry...see you at the game tonight for the Mean Green victory...if, as drex says, the team doesn't come out lazy and doesn't have that mid-game brain freeze they always seem to have.

GO MEAN GREEN. Victory to the Green tonight against USA!

Reading the Jag's board it seems as though 4th leading scorer Gary Redus (8.4ppg) and 6th leading scorer LaShun Watson (7.9ppg) will miss this game.

This is not a big team...at all. If they start the same line-up they did against Troy, Javier Carter (6'8" 195 Fr.) will start at the 5. In that game, Troy center Yamene Coleman went 10-14 from the field for 20 points and pulled down 14 boards, 6 of them offensive. I PRAY we pound it into George this game.

USA Probable Starters -

PG. Allyn Cooks (5'11" 160 Soph.) 8.2ppg, 1.5rpd, 2.6apg

SG. Bryan Sherrer (6'0" 195 Sr.) 10.9ppg, 2.0rpg, 1.7apg

SF. Martino Brock (6'5" 187 Fr.) 11.8ppg, 6.6rpg, 1.7apg

PF. Tim Williams (6'3" 200 Jr.) 14.7ppg, 7.4rpg, 2.2apg

C. Javier Carter (6'8" 195 Fr.) 2.8ppg, 2.9rpg

Didn't realize that USA was as stout on the defensive side of the ball as they are. From the MGC e-mail:

USA has held its opponents to 39.5 percent shooting, which leads the league. They also rank second in 3-point field goal defense with a mark of 29.9 percent.

This one will probably be a real struggle for us.

I'll be there...as usual...but it is the student turnout that should be so very much larger. It amazes me how great a job the Pit Crew does while being so small in number. I am really amazed at a school the size of UNT with the on-campus and in-town student population that it has, with a winning program and a good arena that so very few students turn out for the games. No reason that we should not see 3-4,0000 students at each game...especially the mid-week games when all the "they leave town on weekends" excuses are gone. Where are the Talons? Have they melted into the Pit Crew numbers? There seems to be about the same number of alums and fans at most games...and many of those drive some distance to get to the games multiple times each week during the season while the students can't be bothered to walk across campus for a game that takes a couple of hours and is over before prime clubbing time. GO FIGURE. The fact that so few attend basketball games (even when the team is winning) is why I tire so much of the argument many have regarding poor student attendance at football games...you know, the one that goes along the lines of...well, if the team was winning the students would turn out. Really? Student basketball attendance just doesn't seem to make a case for that tired and lame argument.

Hats off to the Pit Crew...you folks rock the hose! Too bad more of your fellow students care so little. The student-athletes at UNT work their tails off both in the classroom and in their sports. They represent UNT well and I think it is way past time that the student body, faculty and staff at UNT get behind our student athletes and show up at the games. Same goes for the many many alumni that reside in Denton and within a 30-min drive of Denton.

OK, rant over...sorry...see you at the game tonight for the Mean Green victory...if, as drex says, the team doesn't come out lazy and doesn't have that mid-game brain freeze they always seem to have.

GO MEAN GREEN. Victory to the Green tonight against USA!

I think attendance has picked up in recent years. When I was a student from 2002-2006, student attendance was pretty bad, usually not more than several hundred people. It seems larger now, and the crowd is more in to the game. Tonight is the first conference game with school being in, two factors that seem to help attendance.

The Pit Crew has done an amazing job!!! They have not only brought more people to the games, but they are getting the students in to the game more. I also think the band has improved in recent years (as far as being in to the game, the music has always been outstanding).

I work southeast of downtown Dallas (44 mile trip). Contrary to popular belief, you really can make a 7 PM game in time if you are able to leave around 5 - 5:30 from downtown.