Different Look At Ut’s Qb Issue

El Paso Eagle

I realize that Colt is your All American QB, but with the way QB’s go down these days how can you be in a situation where your back up has only played around 25 to 30 snaps by this time of the year? If your talking about someone who has been in a system for a couple of years that’s one thing, but to count on a true Freshman (regardless of his "potential") and then not make sure he had playing time makes you wonder. Also, for a staff with as much talent as UT's is was clear that they had not game plan in place if Colt were to go down. Yes, the coaching staff made adjustments at the half, but the play call for the first half was horrendous.

I realize that Colt is your All American QB, but with the way QB’s go down these days how can you be in a situation where your back up has only played around 25 to 30 snaps by this time of the year? If your talking about someone who has been in a system for a couple of years that’s one thing, but to count on a true Freshman (regardless of his "potential") and then not make sure he had playing time makes you wonder. Also, for a staff with as much talent as UT's is was clear that they had not game plan in place if Colt were to go down. Yes, the coaching staff made adjustments at the half, but the play call for the first half was horrendous.

So, if big programs start letting their backups run the offense in the second half in all it's glory, how much will we complain when it happens to us?

--- Some coaches just don't get it... they rather keep the starters in and run up the score. Unfortunately it partially happens in colleges because the champion is decided mostly by a vote and "stomps" impress voters.... It is completely unforgivable in high schools an even the NFL since voting means nothing and the champion is entirely decided on the basis of wins... and not score. They (especially HS and colleges ) often pay for it in the case of injuries when the starters are no longer available also the following year with having only inexperienced players to play..

--- Some are pursuing record stats at the cost the future of their program......dumb. Just get the win by two-three touchdowns and walk away. also by doing this they are decreasing the risk of injuries or have their team just being beat up physically.

--- Also unfortunately alums etc. get upset if their team doesn't meet the gambling line. That can get coaches fired at large programs if it happen too much... even if they are winning a great deal. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Here's the stupid thing about fans of OU and Texas bellyaching about their 2nd team QBs:

-Hello, McFly? You stick a second team guy in against the #1 team in the country. Not even Tim Tebow can crack that defense everytime out. Alabama is, what...26-2 over the past two seasons. There have been alot of QBs who haven't been able to crack the Tide defense.

-If you take snaps away from your #1 QB, you have to subtract from the full playbook - i.e., dumb it down for the #2 guy. You are wasting snaps and practice time having the #2 guy try to learn everything the #1 is going to run. Because the NCAA regulates practice time as well, the #1 QB is going to, by necessity, have a more in his playbook. It can't be any other way. There's no time to prepare both equally.

-Get f'ing real! OU lost to BYU by 1, Miami by 1, Texas by 3, and Nebraska by 7. I'd say your #2 guy did fine, but he can't do everything. If your #2 has you within a point of Miami on the road and within 1 and 3 of bowl teams BYU and Texas, and by less than a TD on the road against Nebraska as a freshman...hello, I'd say QB is the least of your worries for the future! I'd be more worried about having an OL to protect the kid.

This is what I meant by douchebaggery of big school fanbases. They've got it so good talent-wise, but they still complain. If we just had one legitimate QB...but, dadgum, these guys sign 4- and 5-star guys to the position year in and year out!

Garrett Gilbert is going to win alot of games at Texas. Ditto Landry Jones at OU. I still can't believe people would question the results - especially when you consider the situations they were thrown into.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I was surprised UT didn't have someone that was a sophomore or junior behind McCoy.

They're Texas, they're suppose to the 2 and 3 deep in all positions with no drop-off in talent, right?

They moved Chiles to WR. I was wondering if he might come in after the half.

They moved Chiles to WR. I was wondering if he might come in after the half.

You know, I wondered the same thing after that play where Gilbert was hit and was kind of looking like his right arm was all dangling and injured.

It would have been interesting to see Chiles running the wildcat with the way Monroe was running off of that WR sweep. Not saying it would have worked. But, it would have been interesting for a couple of plays.

The problem is, as stated before, during practice you can only do so much because the NCAA regulates your time. It'd be great if you could practice from afternoon 'til eight at night and practice every second and third team player the way you can the first team. But, you can't.

So, it's doubtful that they even prepared a package of plays for Chiles as QB for the game.

It was all about getting Colt's stats padded for his Heisman run. With the cupcake schedule TU played this year, Gilbert or any of the other Top 10 State recruits on the roster could have had 10-12 quarters under their belts.

I watched Sherrod Harris play in high school, and he could have started for half of the teams in D-I as a freshman. Instead, he winds up sitting on the UT bench for his entire career watching 56-3 blowouts as a third stringer. I've never understood the logic in doing that.

It was all about getting Colt's stats padded for his Heisman run. With the cupcake schedule TU played this year, Gilbert or any of the other Top 10 State recruits on the roster could have had 10-12 quarters under their belts.

I watched Sherrod Harris play in high school, and he could have started for half of the teams in D-I as a freshman. Instead, he winds up sitting on the UT bench for his entire career watching 56-3 blowouts as a third stringer. I've never understood the logic in doing that.

Agreed.

But, can you blame them? The coaches go into their homes speaking of championships and flashing rings. You've got to do something. You can get burned the other way as well.

I had a buddy in Denver who was recruited by Air Force and Colorado State in the early to mid 90s. Both were doing well, but he ended up going to UNLV because he could get playing time sooner. Well, UNLV was awful every year he was there. They had no winning seasons and went to no bowls.

And, CSU head coach Sonny Lubick, who had come to his house and personally recruited him, even taunted him after one loss. After The Rams had beaten them, Lubick spotted my friend as the players and coaches were shaking hands after the game. He says Lubick raised his hand with his bowls rings on his fingers and said, "Remember this conversation, son?"

So, yeah, you could say Harris got nothing for going to UT where there was alot of competition. But, still...he ain't leaving empty-handed. He's got enough bowl rings and a Big 12 title ring to fill up one hand. Plus, an education on UT's dime. Alot of guys, like my friend, chase playing time and end up with alot less.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Texas lost on both counts. McCoy didn't win the Heisman and Gilbert didn't get enough experience even though Texas won about nine games by more than 21 points. If you can't play your backup quarterback with a three touchdown lead (in some cases much more) then you deserve what you get.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Texas lost on both counts. McCoy didn't win the Heisman and Gilbert didn't get enough experience even though Texas won about nine games by more than 21 points. If you can't play your backup quarterback with a three touchdown lead (in some cases much more) then you deserve what you get.

Exactly! And if you (or your QB) calls a QB running play against the Alabama defense, then you also deserve what you get. Alabama mearly reminded Texas that football is not a contact sport, but a COLLISION sport. It's always best to keep your QB out of as many collisions as possible.