North Texas: Dodge: Unt Players Still Have Determination

mgsteve

We'll see. I'll certainly be listening on Saturday...hoping for the best.

One thing I'd like to see in the final three games: MORE substitutions. Not only do we lose...we usually lose, leaving most of our starters in the games late. If certain guys aren't getting it done.....give some other kids a chance. It's utterly ridiculous that true freshmen Daniel Prior and Kyle White, have both had their redshirts burned.....and yet have played so little.

I'd make these final three games.....open auditions for jobs next year. What the hell.

Edited by SUMG

One thing I'd like to see in the final three games: MORE substitutions. Not only do we lose...we usually lose, leaving most of our starters in the games late. If certain guys aren't getting it done.....give some other kids a chance. It's utterly ridiculous that true freshmen Daniel Prior and Kyle White, have both had their redshirts burned.....and yet have played so little.

I'd make these final three games.....open auditions for jobs next year. What the hell.

We need a a GREEN TEAM DEF !

I'd start it out with Prior & Deheck @ LBs

well prior was never redshirted...so i dont think his got burned, he could always use it some other time.

Guest GrayEagleOne

First, let me echo what LongJim said. I want to believe that they have the determination to win the last three but we sure haven't seen that so far. I have severe doubts that they will but I hope that I am wrong.

Now, to SUMG's comments about substitutions. I couldn't agree more. If there was a big dropoff in talent between the first and second units then I might understand. If some are to save redshirts then I say to heck with that. The time for winning is NOW and you need your best talent gaining experience and learning to give maximum effort. I cringe when I see people like Hollivay, Feeley, Jenkins, Bean, Tomlinson, Prior, White, Williams, Shorter, Deheck. Keep fresh bodies gaining experience so that we see strength, stamina and most of all determination. There may not be a tomorrow for this coaching staff unless they pull out all of the stops.

There is one coach that heretofore has not been criticized that I was extremely disappointed with in the last game. Coach Carlton Buckels continued to leave Adryan Adams in after he was burned at least four times creating big plays for ULM. This is not a knock on Adams who is a fine player. I don't know if he was injured or just having an off day but I think that the second time that he was beaten badly he either should have come out for at least a series or gotten help from a safety to double cover Sapp, who with Revell was the primary offensive threat for ULM. Is Antoine Bush still hurt? If that's the case I would hope that Smith could be moved from safety to corner and replaced with Williams or Shorter. Everyone's entitled to a mistake but they kept picking on Adams and we did absolutely nothing about it. Shouldn't the DC make adjustments when that happens?

First, let me echo what LongJim said. I want to believe that they have the determination to win the last three but we sure haven't seen that so far. I have severe doubts that they will but I hope that I am wrong.

Now, to SUMG's comments about substitutions. I couldn't agree more. If there was a big dropoff in talent between the first and second units then I might understand. If some are to save redshirts then I say to heck with that. The time for winning is NOW and you need your best talent gaining experience and learning to give maximum effort. I cringe when I see people like Hollivay, Feeley, Jenkins, Bean, Tomlinson, Prior, White, Williams, Shorter, Deheck. Keep fresh bodies gaining experience so that we see strength, stamina and most of all determination. There may not be a tomorrow for this coaching staff unless they pull out all of the stops.

There is one coach that heretofore has not been criticized that I was extremely disappointed with in the last game. Coach Carlton Buckels continued to leave Adryan Adams in after he was burned at least four times creating big plays for ULM. This is not a knock on Adams who is a fine player. I don't know if he was injured or just having an off day but I think that the second time that he was beaten badly he either should have come out for at least a series or gotten help from a safety to double cover Sapp, who with Revell was the primary offensive threat for ULM. Is Antoine Bush still hurt? If that's the case I would hope that Smith could be moved from safety to corner and replaced with Williams or Shorter. Everyone's entitled to a mistake but they kept picking on Adams and we did absolutely nothing about it. Shouldn't the DC make adjustments when that happens?

Safety help on deep pass plays?

Anyway, wherever the blame lies, one thing is sure...the secondary has problems. When a kid with a broken thumb is lighting you up, it's a problem.

“I don’t worry about our players checking out,” Dodge said. “I talked to the players in the locker room afterwards about it not being something that we have to worry about. We are all going to be men and grind together. There are teams in America that are 8-0 or 9-0, which makes it easy to be a good teammate. You find out about people right now, and I like the way we are conducting ourselves. I don’t sense that we are checking out. There is a sense on this team that the attitude of checking out won’t be tolerated. Frankly, last year there was some checkout, which you hate to admit.”

Not exactly the verbiage I would have chosen, but...hmm...ok, whatever floats your boat.

Not exactly the verbiage I would have chosen, but...hmm...ok, whatever floats your boat.

You dirty, dirty SOB. I just laughed out loud in a silent workspace surrounded by people working on dissertations. And not just a little bit, either.

I applaud this brave new strategy that Coach is going with.

I see the Mean Green winning 2 out of the last 3 games. FIU, Army and Ark. St. are all VERY WINNABLE GAMES.

Winnable, yes. Will we win? I just can't get together the faith to say yes. Hopefully I am wrong, but this thing is not going the way that makes you feel confident about predicting any win, no matter how bad the opponent.

I agree. Who knows that might give us all some hope for the future.

All parts of the team appear to be playing better........with the achiles heal at the corners.

I see what you are saying about the corners, but do you really think all the other parts of the team played better against ULM than they did against Ball State and Ohio?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98