Espn.com - Coach Firing Season Has Begun

JayDub

I think the article is on the money with exception to McMakin at Hawaii. Tough to follow a coaching legend and former NFL coach in Jones. Hawaii will make it back up the charts. As for North Texas.. yes, it's time for a coaching change. I mentioned this to another alum at the game, but the team came out for the second half with their heads down and looked whipped. We werent playing Alabama or LSU? That was Monroe... I honestly feel the message has been lost. The "Family" thing is a great mindset, but the players have to buy into it. I know Rick V. is feeling our pain. He is a class act, and this wont be an easy decision for him.

I do now, and will always believe in RV... an ounce of "good intention" overcomes a pound of "bad decision" in my book. I just hope common-sense prevails.

GMG!!!

I guess two poor seasons in a row (one of which he won 6 games), did in Memphis coach Tommy West even though he took the Tigers to bowl games five of the last six years.

"West led the Tigers to five bowl games in the last six seasons. Memphis was 6-7 last season, losing to South Florida 41-14 in the St. Petersburg Bowl.

Memphis is expected to attempt to hire a high-profile coach to replace West. Possible candidates include former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville and Division II North Alabama coach Terry Bowden, another former Auburn coach."

Washington fired Tyrone Willingham after his third season when he was 11-32. The Dodge Experiment would have to go on a six game winning streak just to reach that level of terribleness. Whether or not RV makes a change, this experiment is failed and nothing will get fixed until a new staff is put into place

Edited by Pen Yan Fan

I guess two poor seasons in a row (one of which he won 6 games), did in Memphis coach Tommy West even though he took the Tigers to bowl games five of the last six years.

"West led the Tigers to five bowl games in the last six seasons. Memphis was 6-7 last season, losing to South Florida 41-14 in the St. Petersburg Bowl.

Memphis is expected to attempt to hire a high-profile coach to replace West. Possible candidates include former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville and Division II North Alabama coach Terry Bowden, another former Auburn coach."

Man... I'd love to be tired of a coach that can lead us to .500 bowl eligible seasons.

Personally, I like this quote better:

Johnson said the search will start immediately. He said while Division I experience was not mandatory, recruiting at that level will be an important factor in the new coach. The athletic director said he already has "been inundated with candidates."

Hmmm....that sounds eerily familiar.

This one, I cannot believe. I don't really know what Memphis thinks it has. To me, this is like New Mexico forcing Rocky Long out...or Southern Miss forcing Jeff Bower out...or East Carolina forcing Steve Logan out.

At some point, you admit to yourself (and your budget) that you aren't Big State School With Automatic Following (insert Tennessee, in this case) and you be happy with a guy who has brought you success like you hadn't had before.

Prior to this season, West had four winning season in the past eight, plus another 6-6 season...last year! He's taken the Tigers to five of the six bowl games in their history (the other was in 1971). He led the Tigers to three in a row 2003-2004 and two in a row 2007-2008. This season will only be the fourth that he hasn't taken a Memphis team to a bowl game.

Someone is going to improve on what Tommy West has been able to do at Memphis? Not likely. It's a basketball school. They should be happy they can get a guy who succeed at football and stick with him. They're nuts.

Sorry, man. I just don't see this one. One season after back-to-back bowls? Memphis?

At some point, you admit to yourself (and your budget) that you aren't Big State School With Automatic Following (insert Tennessee, in this case) and you be happy with a guy who has brought you success like you hadn't had before.

But for argument's sake, don't you have to also say, "We have to go out and get what we need, not what we can afford?". All of the coaches since Corky have been hired based on "what we can afford".

Edited by Green Dozer

I don't even like reading the football board anymore. All yall do is complain. Johnny Jones was on the hotseat with yall a while ago and as soon as he got a complete team together he won and now he has now turned us into a Sunbelt power. Dodge has got four realy good players since he has been here. One has a 1000 yards, one is starting at the hardest position as a redshirt freshman, and the other two are waiting to play next year when they will without a doubt start at the number 1 and 2 WRs. Our number one WR now cost us single, well with both hands the Ohio game. Our number 2 WR is a freshman. Did yall also forget that the defense's best player has been hurt and is gone for the season and Craig has the most D1 experience on the D and he is only a junior. So with a Fresh QB, our starting rb being hurt most of the season, a soph with 1000 yards, all WRs are small and not blazers but are coming back with 2 extra Big 12 quality Wrs to join, our Oline which is a bright spot this year will be coming back, an undersized Dline which all have another year to get bigger, Craig and phillips will be back at LB, 3 returning Dbs who start, and oh ya our best recruiting coach in years has another to try and pull some players. What do you think the season would look like with Tune as our Qb, freshman and walkons playing on the Dline, and no Cam or Dunbar?

With all due respect I wanted to see Tune get a shot just to mix it up on Saturday because without any threat of the deep ball this team is doomed! Riley has to improve in that area or we will be like those bad Tech teams that got figured out and shut down - 6 points of frustration but a suntan on Saturday.

GMG

I don't even like reading the football board anymore. All yall do is complain. Johnny Jones was on the hotseat with yall a while ago and as soon as he got a complete team together he won and now he has now turned us into a Sunbelt power. Dodge has got four realy good players since he has been here. One has a 1000 yards, one is starting at the hardest position as a redshirt freshman, and the other two are waiting to play next year when they will without a doubt start at the number 1 and 2 WRs. Our number one WR now cost us single, well with both hands the Ohio game. Our number 2 WR is a freshman. Did yall also forget that the defense's best player has been hurt and is gone for the season and Craig has the most D1 experience on the D and he is only a junior. So with a Fresh QB, our starting rb being hurt most of the season, a soph with 1000 yards, all WRs are small and not blazers but are coming back with 2 extra Big 12 quality Wrs to join, our Oline which is a bright spot this year will be coming back, an undersized Dline which all have another year to get bigger, Craig and phillips will be back at LB, 3 returning Dbs who start, and oh ya our best recruiting coach in years has another to try and pull some players. What do you think the season would look like with Tune as our Qb, freshman and walkons playing on the Dline, and no Cam or Dunbar?

1 MORE YEAR, 1 MORE YEAR!!!!!

Johnny Jones came in and won 14-15 games his first year....he hung around .500 almost every year before finally breaking through a couple years ago.

Dodge is having Vic Trilli type seasons.....less than a .200 winning percentage every year.

I hear where you're coming from b/c JJ definitely did take his share of the b!tching for a few years there....but his record is light years better than what Dodge has been able to produce.

With all due respect to our current d-line players, another year of getting bigger isn't enough. We need somebody that commands a double team if we're going to only rely on rushing our 4 down linemen---since our coaching staff doesn't believe in blitzing. That somebody isn't on the field (or on the roster), as best I can tell. All the offensive firepower in the world isn't going to turn this team around....a defense that can either somewhat hold the line of scrimmage or turn the ball over will. <side rant>....for the life of me I cannot understand why we refuse to blitz when it is obvious that we cannot put pressure on most team's QBs. Our bend but don't break defense doesn't work if you can't stop the run (which we cannot)...so why not open it up and try to make a few big plays and get turnovers here and there??