Officials Blew This Game And That's Not Overreacting

NorthTexan95

We got hosed on atleast two pass interference non-calls. Blatant non-calls. Not an excuse, but both times the defender made contact way before the ball and never looked back. They were both at critical points of the drive. Not once, but twice. But, its better to focus on the excessive celebration penalties that both were pathetic calls on each team.

Yea those 3 kickoffs that went out of bounds really didn't....I saw it on tv so it must be true. If it weren't for the refs Dodge would be 30-0. Now he needs to go on a 24 game winning streak just to get back to being an average program.

*sigh* Why do you waste your time making such an asinine post. What the hell are you talking about?

The refs did not cost us that game. It was a pathetic showing from the defense. A winless team ripped them apart.

But, those two non-calls just came at critical times. And they were obvious. Even the announcers were perplexed. But, we shouldn't be in that position in the first place.

Guest JohnDenver

I was at the game till the end. I just got home from my LONG drive home.

I think the refs cost us this game.

Ira Smith was ABSOLUTELY out of bounds when he fumbled. Then the FAU player was out of bounds with his body when he recovered it. The whole damn FAU team is on the field... and it is given to them, without review. Then they go down and score.

4th and 3. Sort of a jump ball, but the WR was in a better position, the DB horse collars him from behind, rakes his arms and it is incomplete. No call. Then get the ball, go down and score.

3rd and whatever, we have to make the play to make the comeback, WR was absolutely hit from behind, over the back, and the ball is incomplete. No call. Need to go for it on 4th, and we do the most absurd screen play I have ever seen.

THREE, game changing obvious bad calls (or non-calls).

Yes, Tune doesn't fumble, they don't score (again). Yes, we don't miss two extra points. Yes, we have a FG kicker and we don't have to go for it on 4th downs.

I know.. This game should still have been a W, despite all that.

Very questionable play calling at the end.

The timeout before the extra point, they decided to try to on side kick, which would have worked like a charm, it was just poorly executed and we got pushed back. Then the kicker put it out of bounds. Wow. I don't question the 1-point or the on side kick.

It still looks like this team is playing together and not giving up. They have quarters that are pure genius, then the light goes off, then on again. It is so strange.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Refs can cost a game and I believe that they did in this case. One way to look at it is that the fumble out of bounds wound up costing us seven points and we lost by four.

I could also make a case for the loss to ULL as well. Without the phantom holding call on Kylie we win that one as well.

Yes, the defense didn't play well. They got handled at the line of scrimmage against an experienced line. The DBs seemed to be playing softer than they had previously. Turnovers and fumbles did not usually give bad field position. They did not blitz and gave Smith all day so to speak to complete passes. Giving up 44 points is a lot like last year. They took a giant step backward. But the offense played well enough to win.

Officials do make mistakes. But, in the day of instant replays and with the game virtually riding on the line, I don't see why the play wasn't reviewed. I wonder if Bob Stoops wouldn't have bitched to high heaven had it happened to him. I think that I know the answer.

I was at the game.......of the fans who left at the half and the others who left at the end: I'll bet not 1% of those people thought the refs cost us that game.

Agreed,

What cost us the game was fau's qb running it up the middle for a TD. We need something, but its not refs with glasses.

I don't believe the refs cost this game. If you want to place blame on the biggest factor you need to look no further than the play of our Special Teams....they went back to last season last night.

Yes, I've been fighting saying this, but feel that, over the last two games, we've seen regression that must be addressed. Some of the improvements have been quite impressive; the kickoff returns of Royce Hill, punt and kickoff coverage, and Will Atterberry's punting, but it seems like the last two losses would have been wins if not for problems with kicking off and punting. I still think some of the problem was our blocking for the kicker and punter, so I'm not saying it's all the fault of the kicker, and the punter may turn out to be an all time great, but we can't win in close games without having at least an adequate, in all respects, kicking game.

the refs were of very low quality last night. there were two occasions where our players and coaches had to tell them where to spot the ball. one was after fau's unsportsman like penalty and the other i can't really remember, maybe after our onside kick. they were horrible!

So, did anyone see what happened to put that ref on his back during one of our running plays early in the game? I just wondered how that happened; maybe he just got in the RB's way.

Edited by eulessismore

The difference in the game?

When we gift them, they open the package (fumbled KO, fumble by Tune, 3 offensive starts near or beyond midfield because our kicker kicked it out of bounds).

When we get gifted, we don't (the blocked punt we get).

If we score from inside their 40 after the blocked punt, we go up by 10 in th 4Q...well, maybe we don't win in that case.

GMG

I was at the game till the end. I just got home from my LONG drive home.

I think the refs cost us this game.

Ira Smith was ABSOLUTELY out of bounds when he fumbled. Then the FAU player was out of bounds with his body when he recovered it. The whole damn FAU team is on the field... and it is given to them, without review. Then go down an score.

4th and 3. Sort of a jump ball, but the WR was in a better position, the DB horse collars him from behind, rakes his arms and it is incomplete. No call. Then get the ball, go down and score.

3rd and whatever, we have to make the play to make the comeback, WR was absolutely hit from behind, over the back, and the ball is incompletely. No call. Need to go for it on 4th, and we do the most absurd screen play I have ever seen.

THREE, game changing obvious ball calls (or non-calls).

Yes, Tune doesn't fumble, they don't score (again). Yes, we don't miss two extra points. Yes, we have a FG kicker and we don't have to go for it on 4th downs.

I know.. This game should still have been a W, despite all that.

Very questionable play calling at the end.

The timeout before the extra point, they decided to try to on side kick, which would have worked like a charm, it was just poorly executed and we got pushed back. Then the kicker put it out of bounds. Wow. I don't question the 1-point or the on side kick.

It still looks like this team is playing together and not giving up. They have quarters that are pure genius, then the light goes off, then on again. It is so strange.

I'm in the same boat. I was there AND recorded the game. I came out of Fouts feeling the exact way JD describes here and the review of the TIVO this AM confirms it. Even the non-homer announcers on the broadcast were sort of perplexed.

We SHOULD NOT have been in this situation in the first place, but given the situation, good officiating would have given us a W.

The refs blew some calls, no doubt, we still never should have been in position. We were up by 13 and cruising.

Calls got blown both ways, on the last FAU score, were they drove it in (on second effort, we had him stopped dead) on third down, they actually scored first down. If we had been able to hold them, it would have been a huge miscall in our favor.